Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 7)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 499 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
wolfali
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

DeBose is happening and is in top 2 in this category. I’m telling y’all she’s going to be collecting these critics awards much more frequently than you expect. Truly a latebreaker spoiler.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Ariana DeBose is definitely a dark horse here. I’m no as high on West Side Story as others (I ultimately think the remake of it all might prove a bit too divisive for the academy wins wise, especially on the ranked ballot) but voters often use this category to give something to certain films that aren’t in guarantee of winning anything else above the line and she’s got a critically raved performance breaking at the right time.

Profile picture
    The Oscarguy
    Topics:

I think DeBose is going all the way. I never really got the Balfe hype.

Profile picture
    Jojo1
    Topics:

If WSS is truly a top 3 picture contender, I have a hard time not seeing it win at least 1 acting award

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Ariana DeBose is definitely a dark horse here. I’m no as high on West Side Story as others (I ultimately think the remake of it all might prove a bit too divisive for the academy wins wise, especially on the ranked ballot) but voters often use this category to give something to certain films that aren’t in guarantee of winning anything else above the line and she’s got a critically raved performance breaking at the right time.

Definitely, and I think she’s basically guaranteed a nod — but it is curious how people who’ve seen it are also really high on Faist, Moreno, Alvarez, sometimes more. DeBose has the role though

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    Hawk
    Topics:

There’s still plenty of critic’s circles to go, but this is not a good start for Negga who really needed them to go to bat for her. I think I made the right decision when I took her out, but hopefully I’m wrong because she deserves all the awards 😭

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I still have faith that the Academy will pull through for Negga. It’s easy to panic at this early stage, but these are also the organizations who are giving Best Director to Lin-Manuel Miranda and Best Film to Drive My Car. Even at Washington DC, Tessa Thompson’s nomination proves that they are watching the movie.

To be honest, even if Negga misses SAG entirely (which I do think she will), I’m still predicting her to get in.

Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

And what’s wrong with giving Best Film to Drive My Car?

Profile picture
    brenolimsta
    Topics:

DeBose can WIN the Oscar…

Profile picture
    Atleastimtrying
    Topics:

Dunst was phenomenal in power of the dog, im glad she is getting recognition.

I dont think she is a “supporting actress” though, she is clearly the lead alongside Cumberbatch

Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

Nothing wrong, only that critics prize shouldn’t necessarily align with oscar predix. While winning a huge critic association can give positive buzz (even for Drive my Car in International Film), it doesn’t really end a contender’s run. They only benefit, but do no harm.

Profile picture
    Barbra Please
    Topics:

Just finished watching King Richard darling, while Ghetto Smith is good (he eats up all the oscar baiting monologue), Aunjanue Ellis is on another level. Ellis manages to create a character so complex, lived in and lovely, all in her brief screentime. She’s the the best thing about this average, feels-good biopic. If someone deserves to be nominated from this film, only her.

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Tang Wei, Decision To Leave

James Hong & Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All At Once

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Exactly what James Gibson said. It’s not a bad choice at all (in fact I think it’s really an awesome and inspired one), but unless the season goes in a much different direction than anyone is expecting, it’s really not indicative of what will or won’t be happening at the Oscars.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Dunst was phenomenal in power of the dog, im glad she is getting recognition.

I dont think she is a “supporting actress” though, she is clearly the lead alongside Cumberbatch

Yeah it’s a weird one. She’s definitely a co-lead in the book, but then I feel like of all the characters she was technically the most contracted, details which somehow Dunst managed to imply in her performance anyway. And then her screen time is much less than Cumberbatch’s (though honestly I dunno how screen time gurus calculate that. Is it solely when someone is on the screen or is it also when they’re in a scene? If by the latter, she has almost as much as Cumberbatch but anyway).

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

Yeah it’s a weird one. She’s definitely a co-lead in the book, but then I feel like of all the characters she was technically the most contracted, details which somehow Dunst managed to imply in her performance anyway. And then her screen time is much less than Cumberbatch’s (though honestly I dunno how screen time gurus calculate that. Is it solely when someone is on the screen or is it also when they’re in a scene? If by the latter, she has almost as much as Cumberbatch but anyway).

If you are talking about Matthew Stewart (GoldDerby screen timer, reliable) he says “I define screen time as any time an actor’s body can be seen on screen, or any time they’re off screen but can be heard speaking or directly making noise. If they haven’t left the scene but are off screen and silent, it doesn’t count.”

He agrees with Dunst being supporting.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.