Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 9)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 519 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
kaziz
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    brenolimsta
    Topics:

I think it would be a bit of a shame if Blanchett gets nominated for Don’t Look Up when she was far better in Nightmare Alley, which I also personally think is an exponentially better movie.

I liked her more in DLU. She is good in Nightmare Alley but there we get the standard Blanchett performance. In DLU she is a standout playing a very different character for her

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Finally have seen Kathryn Hunter’s NYFCC winning performance in The Tragedy of Macbeth. If only her performance were longer – its maybe 6 minutes in all – two scenes plus a few split second appearances. She’s the most Shakespearean of all the performers. She really does get the ‘weird’ part of the ‘weird sisters’ down! It’s a wonderful performance! Too short though for an Oscar nomination imo.

Profile picture
    MultipleOscarWinner
    Topics:

If someone among the female supporting in DLU gets nominated I hope is Blanchett. McKay gave her a lot more to do than Streep (who was basically smoking and being a Rylance’s sheep all the time).

Gross. no. Streep is the only performer besides Jonah Hill who stands out because she doesn’t feel like being directed by Adam McKay (I’m starting to think we’re among one of the worst directors of all time) and doesn’t get much to do, which is a GREAT thing for this horrendous film.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Don’t Look Up is a superb movie. Where is this anger coming from? Is it the political content that bothers people? Because the movie is brilliantly directed, written, acted, edited, with a great score and a great song – it’s my #3 film of the year. The extreme anger towards it (and Belfast) fascinates me. I loved every single moment of Don’t Look Up and particularly loved Leonardo DiCaprio’s performance, which is my #1 Best Actor of 2021 performance.

Profile picture
    Rynd_Rawikara
    Topics:

Where is this anger coming from? Is it the political content that bothers people? Because the movie is brilliantly directed, written, acted, edited, with a great score and a great song – it’s my #3 film of the year.

McKay was aiming for a satire but I don’t think he quite get it. I know that there are several kinds of satire, though I don’t have much knowledge about it. But it’s just not it for me. I don’t hate it tho, there are highlights in that film.

Profile picture
    George Papakostas
    Topics:

Don’t Look Up is a superb movie. Where is this anger coming from? Is it the political content that bothers people? Because the movie is brilliantly directed, written, acted, edited, with a great score and a great song – it’s my #3 film of the year. The extreme anger towards it (and Belfast) fascinates me. I loved every single moment of Don’t Look Up and particularly loved Leonardo DiCaprio’s performance, which is my #1 Best Actor of 2021 performance.

I also think that Leonardo DiCaprio gave a wonderful performance in Don´t Look Up and if we consider how big a name he is, I can´t see how he would miss out…

As for Cate Blanchett, I think she is amazing whatever she does(I´ve seen this woman perform on Broadway and I was blown away) but I hope voters will remember her for Nightmare Alley and give her that 8th nomination she deserves. If it is not a nomination this year, I think it´s gonna be a win next year for leading actress in the upcoming Tedd Field movie!

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

McKay was aiming for a satire but I don’t think he quite get it. I know that there are several kinds of satire, though I don’t have much knowledge about it. But it’s just not it for me. I don’t hate it tho, there are highlights in that film.

Has he said that was aiming for satire? The film is a comedy-drama and succeeds as such. I don’t see it as satire because it’s so accurate in it’s depiction in our insane celebrity worship and our worship of unbridled capitalism at the expense of the planet.

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

The editing is awful in that film. It’s easily the worst aspect.

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

The editing is awful in that film. It’s easily the worst aspect.

It’s going to be nominated for Best Film Editing and it deserves to be nominated (imo).

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Back to discussing Supporting Actress.

There are 10 actresses with less than 100-1 odds on here. Balfe, Blanchett, DeBose, Dench, Dowd, Dunst, Ellis, Matlin, Moreno, and Negga. This is the strongest category by far of all the acting categories. I could be happy with any of these ten actresses getting a nomination. My only disappointment is that Jessie Buckley and Martha Plimpton didn’t get the traction they deserved for a nomination.

If I had to rank the ten this is how I personally would rank them:

1. Ariana DeBose
    2. Catriona Balfe
    3. Judi Dench
    4. Ann Dowd
    5. Rita Moreno
    6. Ruth Negga
    7. Marlee Matlin
    8. Aunjanue Ellis
    9. Kirsten Dunst
    10. Cate Blanchett

I am predicting Balfe, DeBose, Dunst, Ellis, and Moreno.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Gross. no. Streep is the only performer besides Jonah Hill who stands out because she doesn’t feel like being directed by Adam McKay (I’m starting to think we’re among one of the worst directors of all time) and doesn’t get much to do, which is a GREAT thing for this horrendous film.

Meryl does literally nothing in Don’t Look Up. Her performance and character were absolutely one note. There was nothing about it that was even remotely awards worthy. In fact, no one is awards worthy in it, other than Leonardo Dicaprio. Melanie Lynskey could’ve been up there, if she had more to do.

Emma Thompson in Years & Years is a far superior version of Meryl’s character/performance.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Melanie Lynskey could’ve been up there, if she had more to do.

Hear hear! Agreed

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Love Meryl but she isn’t even the second best supporting actress in Don’t Look Up.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 519 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.