Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 506 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
Diamond Tier
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

1. Toni Colette, Nightmare Alley
    2. Anya Taylor-Joy, Last Night in Soho
    3. Meryl Streep, Don’t Look Up
    4. Ruth Negga, Passing
    5. Ann Dowd, Mass

6. Rooney Mara, Nightmare Alley
    7. Judi Dench, Belfast
    8. Martha Plimpton, Mass
    9. Claire Foy, The Electrical Life of Louis Wain
    10. Audra McDonald, Respect

FYC:
    Picture: Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby/Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion/Rebecca Hall/Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch/Andrew Garfield/Winston Duke
    Actress: Olivia Colman/Kristen Stewart/Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant/Troy Kotsur/Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Claire Foy/Jayne Houdyshell/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva B

Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

Olga will probably pop up at Critics Choice.

I really doubt it. The category is way too deep for someone with a tiny role in a flop to make it.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

9. Claire Foy, The Electrical Life of Louis Wain

What’s gonna happen to this film what with TPOTD sucking all the air out of the room?! I know it looked like it was going to Telluride but that…could be wrong, but even if it goes, I think it’ll get pushed to 2022.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

What’s gonna happen to this film what with TPOTD sucking all the air out of the room?! I know it looked like it was going to Telluride but that…could be wrong, but even if it goes, I think it’ll get pushed to 2022.

If it wasn’t going to Telluride the TIFF listing wouldn’t have it as ‘Canadian premiere’ it would say ‘North American premiere’ as it does for several other films. And its only connection to TPOTD is Cumberbatch.

You seriously need to chill out with this TPOTD thing.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

If it wasn’t going to Telluride the TIFF listing wouldn’t have it as ‘Canadian premiere’ it would say ‘North American premiere’ as it does for several other films. And its only connection to TPOTD is Cumberbatch.

I know that, I know that is almost certainly (there have a few occasions where films have been mislabeled and then they don’t turn up at Telluride) a fact that Louis Wain will be at Telluride. I know that. TPOTD is going to 4 festivals, the connection with Cumberbatch makes one wonder why he would want two lead actor vehicles simultaneously. And it doesn’t have a 2021 release date yet. Jeez.

It’s just…a fact that it’s going to be playing everywhere and thus people are talking about it. That’s all. Jeeeeeeeeez.

FYC:
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

I know that, I know that is almost certainly (there have a few occasions where films have been mislabeled and then they don’t turn up at Telluride) a fact that Louis Wain will be at Telluride. I know that. TPOTD is going to 4 festivals, the connection with Cumberbatch makes one wonder why he would want two lead actor vehicles simultaneously. And it doesn’t have a 2021 release date yet. Jeez. It’s just…a fact that it’s going to be playing everywhere and thus people are talking about it. That’s all. Jeeeeeeeeez.

This is the Supporting Actress thread and the prediction was for Foy, not Cumberbatch. TPOTD isn’t relevant to Foy’s chances.

As for why he would want two Lead Actor contenders at Telluride, there is precedent – Marriage Story and The Report both went there in 2019. Also it isn’t up to him so it doesn’t really matter what he wants.

And you can ‘jeez’ me all you want but you’re here writing multiple long posts about this one film in multiple threads, and multiple people have mentioned it to you. You are making everything about TPOTD and Cumberbatch/Dunst, even when it isn’t relevant, and it is A Lot.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

And you can ‘jeez’ me all you want but you’re here writing multiple long posts about this one film in multiple threads, and multiple people have mentioned it to you. You are making everything about TPOTD and Cumberbatch/Dunst, even when it isn’t relevant, and it is A Lot.

You are welcome to put me on Ignore. I haven’t been rude to you & having been a member of GD for a decade, this is fairly par for the course. I do talk about other films, but many people here have their pets, from King Richard to TLD. I’m sorry I write long posts? Lol I have nothing to say to this really, I have plenty of great interactions with people, it’s not really my problem that you don’t like…reading long posts lol. Usually I’m trying to answer a question.

As for Louis Wain and Claire Foy, it makes me worry for both the film and Foy’s chances—as in the example you gave. The Report didn’t end up being a player, even though it’s actually really good. If the film is overshadowed it would affect Foy, and though it’s obviously not up to Cumberbatch, it seems to me like a film that would do pretty well if it weren’t for another vehicle for the actor in Louis Wain, a biopic. So I very earnestly ask: Do you think that Claire Foy is on track to be nominated? Is it impossible Louis Wain will be delayed?

FYC:

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

You are welcome to put me on Ignore. I haven’t been rude to you & having been a member of GD for a decade, this is fairly par for the course. I do talk about other films, but many people here have their pets, from King Richard to TLD. I’m sorry I write long posts? Lol I have nothing to say to this really, I have plenty of great interactions with people, it’s not really my problem that you don’t like…reading long posts lol. Usually I’m trying to answer a question. 

It’s not that I don’t like reading long posts, and I apologise if my comment came off as rude. My point was that you were all ‘jeez’ at me when multiple people have commented on your overwhelming number of long posts about TPOTD. I am aware that you also talk about other things sometimes but there is a lot of TPOTD stuff and a lot of reminding everyone consistently how much you know about it and how Cumberbatch has ‘the role of a lifetime’ and so on. It feels far beyond what other people post about their pet projects. That’s all I’m saying.

As for Louis Wain and Claire Foy, it makes me worry for both the film and Foy’s chances—as in the example you gave. The Report didn’t end up being a player, even though it’s actually really good. If the film is overshadowed it would affect Foy, and though it’s obviously not up to Cumberbatch, it seems to me like a film that would do pretty well if it weren’t for another vehicle for the actor in Louis Wain, a biopic. So I very earnestly ask: Do you think that Claire Foy is on track to be nominated? Is it impossible Louis Wain will be delayed?

The Report didn’t end up being a player for a lot of reasons – the early Sundance premiere, for example, potentially hurt it in the long run. And it isn’t exactly entertaining.

And I’m not saying that I definitely think Claire Foy will be nominated – I haven’t seen the film my point is that Cumberbatch having a second lead actor vehicle doesn’t necessarily harm her. In fact, if Louis Wain lands better than The Report did it’s more likely to harm him as he could split his own votes. It feels like you were just looking for a reason to bring up TPOTD. And no, I don’t think it will be delayed – it has been announced for a festival so the clear intention is for it to come out this year.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

It feels like you were just looking for a reason to bring up TPOTD. And no, I don’t think it will be delayed – it has been announced for a festival so the clear intention is for it to come out this year.

Lol no I was genuinely just curious about Louis Wain because I’d almost forgotten it existed and I wondered what would become of it. (I thought The Report was great btw. I wish more people had seen it because that story is so bloody important and nobody knows about it. Sigh).

The promising thing about Louis Wain I suppose is that it’s Amazon and Amazon’s only other push is…Annette, if I’m not mistaken? So yes it should be good for this year, but it’s not as if it’s unprecedented for a film to play in festivals one year and get pushed to the next. Oh! Also there’s this other thing—there’s this really adorable book Coming out about Louis Wain’s cat obsession and his paintings of cats. Cumberbatch wrote the foreword for it, and the news said they wanted it to coincide with the film. It’s a really cute story. Regardless, I’m hoping there’s a trailer or release date soon because the relative lack of news on that front made me wonder. That’s all.

Np, I’m not offended & I’m sorry if you felt slighted. If it’s any consolation, TPOTD is only 1 out of 3 books being adapted this year that are literally in my top 20 novels pantheon (the others being Passing & The Lost Daughter) so I definitely feel passionately about it, but if and when The Lost Daughter gets distribution (fingers crossed), I’ll be a bit…too passionate about that too.

Speaking of The Lost Daughter—Jessie Buckley and Dakota Johnson, either one or both, WILL be nominated if the film is released. And Colman will straight up win her 2nd Oscar, full stop, race over lol. I can’t imagine richer, baitier material and if it doesn’t happen we’ll probably look back at it and say the Academy reallllllly fucked up there. Anyone know anything about distribution for it? Both Buckley and Johnson…well, equally great roles so one or both, for suuure.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Yes, like seriously. Its rather obsessive & creepy. You’d think TPOTD was the only book he’s ever read in life.

Profile picture
    Labyrinth
    Topics:

When will Martha Plimpton and Jason Isaacs be placed in the supporting categories in the prediction centre?

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

GD needs to update the Supporting Actress category predictions. Anya Taylor-Joy isn’t in Parallel Mothers, and Death on the Nile (starring Gal Gadot) comes out in February.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

This category is difficult and almost pointless to predict until we know more about category placement. I know this category has had fewer co-lead frauds of late but you’d still say they have a better chance of winning if they get in and so I think Comer, Blanchett and Dunst all have a good stab at winning this but could also all end up in Lead. Comer seems like the lead of TLD so she may not be a factor, but who knows with the other two. Same applies to Last Night in Soho, where I could see ATJ being a co-lead and being placed here. Dowd also seems like a fraudulent placement from what I’ve seen, but at least we know she’s in this race. These questions also impact how we view other actresses in Nightmare Alley and TPOTD. Assuming they all go in lead for now, because the film descriptions make it sound that way, I’m on the same as this:

1. Toni Colette, Nightmare Alley 2. Anya Taylor-Joy, Last Night in Soho 3. Meryl Streep, Don’t Look Up 4. Ruth Negga, Passing 5. Ann Dowd, Mass

But I’d expect Colette and Dowd to make way if Blanchett and Dunst land here instead. I’m assuming Comer will run as lead based on the trailer and poster and general buzz around her but if she doesn’t someone else could make way if the film is a hit.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress’ is closed to new replies.