Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 506 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
Diamond Tier
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Julianne Nicholson could sweep à la Janney if Blonde does end up being a thing in the end. The buzz she has from Mare of Easttown can only help.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

She has the “veteran character actress” career award going for her,

As did Laurie Metcalf and she was in a film that was arguably a much stronger contender, with a much stronger distributor and more or less swept the critics awards.

Not saying Dowd can’t happen but to proclaim her as some lock to win in July with such a competitive field is quite premature lol.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

Excited for Julianne Nicholson in Blonde.

Profile picture
    Karofsky
    Topics:

Toni Collette – Nightmare Alley
    Cherry Jones – The Eyes of Tammy Faye
    Ann Dowd – Mass
    Margot Robbie – Canterbury Glass
    Judi Dench – Belfast

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

– Cate Blanchett, Nightmare Alley

– Ann Dowd, Mass

– Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog

– Ruth Negga, Passing

– Meryl Streep, Don’t Look Up

At this point this is a bit of a case of predicting who’ll be campaigned in Actress v Supporting, relates to Blanchett, Dunst, Comer, McDormand, Cotillard, Robbie and a few others. Quite like the look of this five, though. From what I’ve read and heard, Dowd seems like she could be strong enough to win if she’s strong enough to get the nom.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

The gays will be securing Ann Dowd’s nomination for Mass.

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

The amount of actresses that are borderline for lead/supporting right now is crazy. I’m either going to be disappointed as hell in the amount of category fraud this year, or I’m going to rejoice at the integrity of the studios.

As of now, I do hope that at least McDormand goes Supporting. I can’t say anything about the others because I haven’t read the source material, but as for Macbeth, she’s obviously supporting.

And if Ann Dowd is in 90% of the movie like someone said and is being campaigned for Supporting then imma be rooting against her the entire season

Oscars FYC:

Visual Effects: Free Guy

Profile picture
    ReddWhite
    Topics:

July predictions:

*- could go for Lead

1. Frances McDormand – The Tragedy of Macbeth*

2. Anya Taylor-Joy – Last Night in Soho

3. Ann Dowd – Mass

4. Kirsten Dunst – The Power of the Dog*

5. Jodie Comer – The Last Duel*

6. Rooney Mara – Nightmare Alley

7. Frances Conroy – The Power of the Dog

8. Cate Blanchett – Nightmre Alley*

9. Thomasin McKenzie – The Power of the Dog

10. Toni Collette – Nightmare Alley

11. Meryl Streep – Don’t Look Up

12. Cherry Jones – The Eyes of Tammy Faye

13. Julianne Nicholson – Blonde

14. Ruth Negga – Passing

15. Marlee Matlin – Coda

Emmys FYC: Jean Smart.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

It feels almost certain to me that Dunst, McDormand, Blanchett will be going lead. So, alphabetically, I’m still where I was a month ago.

1—Jodie Comer, The Last Duel
    2—Ann Dowd, Mass
    3—Regina King, The Harder They Fall
    4—Ruth Negga, Passing
    5—Anya Taylor-Joy, Last Night in Soho

Others that could make a big impact & I’m rooting for them:
    – Jessie Buckley, The Lost Daughter
    – Toni Collette, Nightmare Alley
    – Frances Conroy, The Power of the Dog
    – Vera Farmiga, The Many Saints of Newark
    – Dakota Johnson, The Lost Daughter
    – Rooney Mara, Nightmare Alley
    – Thomasin McKenzie, The Power of the Dog
    – Julianne Nicholson, Blonde

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    ReddWhite
    Topics:

Honestly, after Mank, I’m very wary of predicting supporting categories before the movie’s reactions first come, because some of the contenders might be just too small or insignificant to make a splash (I mean, at least I was predicting Dance and Burke as frontrunners for a long time before I saw the movie)

Also, we never know who’s being frauded into supporting (although that is more common in sup. actor)

Emmys FYC: Jean Smart.

Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

I think someone said this in another thread, but apparently Thomasin’s character in the book The Power of the Dog is based on is very tiny, like, only appears for a teeny teeny bit. So unless they beef up her character, I doubt she’s nominated.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

I think someone said this in another thread, but apparently Thomasin’s character in the book The Power of the Dog is based on is very tiny, like, only appears for a teeny teeny bit. So unless they beef up her character, I doubt she’s nominated.

I heard this too, but i vaguely remembers that someone said that there is possibility that McKenzie’s role is revamped, but i still doubt she would get in for Power of the Dog even with revamped role. If she goes supporting, it would be still for Soho where she and Taylor Joy is having Lakeith Stanfield-Daniel Kaluuya situation (of course this can only happen if Blanchett, Robbie, McDormand and Dunst all goes lead)

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Yes it’s very much a throwaway cameo in the book, a character (Lola) who interacts only once or twice with Rose (Dunst’s character), as a servant/confidante.

I’ve definitely talked about McKenzie’s role in previous threads because I didn’t even remember the character when she was cast & was totally baffled.

Reasoning to think it’s a much bigger role:
    Casting is telling: in the book, Rose has a first husband before she marries George (Plemons)—but her first husband isn’t in the film. And I genuinely don’t think McKenzie would have been cast for a cameo.

Campion is skipping forward to when Rose arrives at the ranch. Also got some insider info told me that Dunst is much bigger than in the book (in the book, she’s the 2nd-most important character but still supporting because Phil is the unquestionable lead).

So, probably, because Dunst’s role is bigger, Campion fashioned a much bigger role to play for her servant/McKenzie’s character. I can see Lola being made a bigger part, and/or one cobbled together from many other small characters who aren’t in the cast. Someone needs to be around Rose because once the central tension between Phil & Rose begins (which is basically the plot), Rose is very isolated but she does need to get her news on village ongoings, the arrival of indigenous people on the ranch from somewhere (probably Lola).

Basically: I don’t know if McKenzie’s part is big enough to get nominated, but it probably most definitely will not be a cameo. It could happen, it totally depends on what Campion’s done with the role.

Frances Conroy has a cool role too (Phil and George’s mother). It’s a little Leslie Manville in Phantom Thread/Judi Dench in Shakespeare in Love/Viola Davis in Fences in that it’s a pretty small role but also a pretty cool one. Conroy is amazing, would love for her to get an Oscar after being such a great character actor for decades!

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

People really think Ann Dowd will Yuh-Jung Youn her way to an Oscar from a Sundance premiere. The 2022 award season will not be kind to Sundance films as the previous year and most likes Cannes/TIFF/Venice candidates will dominate the acting races once again.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress’ is closed to new replies.