Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 506 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
Music Forever
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

1. Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog
    2. Meryl Streep, Don’t Look Up
    3. Toni Colette, Nightmare Alley
    4. Anya Taylor-Joy, Last Night in Soho
    5. Ruth Negga, Passing

6. Jessie Buckley, The Lost Daughter
    7. Ann Dowd, Mass
    8. Judi Dench, Belfast
    9. Martha Plimpton, Mass
    10. Claire Foy, The Electrical Life of Louis Wain

Oscars FYC:
    "Shiva Baby" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "Together" – in all categories especially Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "CODA" – in all categories especially Supporting Actor (Troy Kotsur)
    "Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Supporting Actor (Richard E. Grant), Supporting Actress (Sarah Lancashire)
    "I'm Your Man" – International Feature
    "Summer of Soul" – Documentary Feature

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Is Kirsten Dunst supporting now?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Is Kirsten Dunst supporting now?

No. But I have moved her there in my (non predictions centre) predictions after Netflix bought The Lost Daughter because they seem to have a lot of actress contenders on their plate and judging by the premise of The Power of the Dog, her role seems borderline lead/supporting.

Oscars FYC:
    "Shiva Baby" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "Together" – in all categories especially Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "CODA" – in all categories especially Supporting Actor (Troy Kotsur)
    "Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Supporting Actor (Richard E. Grant), Supporting Actress (Sarah Lancashire)
    "I'm Your Man" – International Feature
    "Summer of Soul" – Documentary Feature

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I always felt like Dunst would be Supporting based on her role in the book. I’d personally love for Ann Dowd to win because she’s absolutely incredible in Mass (as is everyone), but I’m not sure that she can beat Dunst

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Dowd can’t win anymore unless they put Martha Plimpton back in lead. So if Kirsten Dunst is in supporting, she could win or if Toni Colette just gives a great performance it could be a career Oscar for her. Maybe she could Ruth Gordon her way to a win, she’s probably gonna be really eccentric and mysterious in Nightmare Alley.

Yep, now I can see Dunst being put into supporting because she can win, whereas just 2 days ago I just didn’t see Lead as all that packed. Dunst will have the advantage of being…well, frauded. That’s true for Dowd and Plimpton as well, but Dunst will (probably) be in a BP film and a strong overdue narrative and (probably) an acclaimed performance. Collette comes the closest to that, so yeah I see her being the biggest competition to Dunst.

1. Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog
    2. Toni Colette, Nightmare Alley
    3. Ann Dowd, Mass
    4. Ruth Negga, Passing
    5. Meryl Streep, Don’t Look Up

Next:
    6. Anya Taylor-Joy, Last Night in Soho
    7. Jessie Buckley, The Lost Daughter
    8. Rooney Mara, Nightmare Alley
    9. Martha Plimpton, Mass
    10. Judi Dench, Belfast

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    annieholl
    Topics:

Kirsten Dunst all the way. Fullstop. She could win in lead too but in supporting there’s no doubt.

Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

I hope Dunst doesn’t go supporting because she can win in Lead. She’s better than Cumberbatch. This is her forte.

her winning in lead is a lot more difficult than supporting. lead is stacked stacked

Profile picture
    samson
    Topics:

her winning in lead is a lot more difficult than supporting. lead is stacked stacked

Power of the dog will be the biggest BP player from all the contenders in lead. Dunst, Olivia Colman & Kristen Stewart are the biggest contenders and only 1 of them has the BP film. Lady Gaga isn’t happening. JHud will get her nod, no one else is guaranteed a nod.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Power of the dog will be the biggest BP player from all the contenders in lead. Dunst, Olivia Colman & Kristen Stewart are the biggest contenders and only 1 of them has the BP film. Lady Gaga isn’t happening. JHud will get her nod, no one else is guaranteed a nod.

Gaga will happen whether we like it or not (i.e. whether she’s good or not imo *hides from stans* lol)

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

CODA isn’t the type of movie the Academy is particularly fond of. It’s very lightweight and cute. And some people only predict it because it won the Sundance prize and everyone seems to think it could end up being like Minari. But Minari, while being an indie family drama, was not lightweight or cute. Minari had deeper themes and emotions that pertained to the film’s story (the American dream, self discovery, etc). Minari was also more appealing to the Directors’ branch considering Lee Isaac Chung’s deep personal connection to the story and the fact that it was gorgeous on a technical level. CODA doesn’t really explore those themes or any themes in a way that stands out to other films in its ilk, nor will it be appealing to the Directors’ branch (the filmmaking is very flat and often looks like it was shot on an iPhone). I know this is the Supporting Actress thread, but my point still stands. CODA is not this year’s Minari and Marlee Matlin is not this year’s Youn Yuh-jung.

If anything will be Minari it will be Mass. While that too suffers from feeling too low-key,the way it handles heavy themes is highly effective and the performances are off the scale good. I can see academy members being really moved by it. Dowd and Plimpton could both get in.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

If anything will be Minari it will be Mass. While that too suffers from feeling too low-key,the way it handles heavy themes is highly effective and the performances are off the scale good. I can see academy members being really moved by it. Dowd and Plimpton could both get in.

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress’ is closed to new replies.