Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 506 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
Diamond Tier
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

People really think Ann Dowd will Yuh-Jung Youn her way to an Oscar from a Sundance premiere. The 2022 award season will not be kind to Sundance films as the previous year and most likes Cannes/TIFF/Venice candidates will dominate the acting races once again.

True. She could end up like Melissa Leo from Novitiate in that people were predicting her from the get-go, but she never gets off the ground. But Dowd does have a LOT of goodwill, I personally feel she’s going to get a nod very soon, and I know Bleecker Street is not a great distributor but if Mass were to get just one nod, I’d say it’d probably be Dowd. Who knows if she can win (I’m not sure anyone can win right now), but it’s…possible. And who knows: maybe Bleecker Street can get their act together!

Also, there’s always someone from Sundance who sticks around? Yes, Ruth Negga seems more likely because of Netflix, but…Dowd is more likely than anyone else (far more likely than Marlee Matlin I think?)

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Do you guys think Toni Collette could finally win next year? I think it’s about damn time.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

Do you guys think Toni Collette could finally win next year? I think it’s about damn time.

I guess it depends quite a lot on how they campaign Blanchett for Nightmare Alley. Haven’t seen the original film or read the book so others are better positioned to judge but I think Blanchett will be placed in Supporting, even if it’s deemed fraudulent by some. That probably puts Collette at a disadvantage. There’s also a wealth of options here already, so it’s hard to say. This early in the race, I think she’s just out of my Top 5, but I’m intrigued to see what Del Toro does and how meaty her role is.

People really think Ann Dowd will Yuh-Jung Youn her way to an Oscar from a Sundance premiere. The 2022 award season will not be kind to Sundance films as the previous year and most likes Cannes/TIFF/Venice candidates will dominate the acting races once again.

I think it’s understandable given the plaudits she’s won since the premiere. It’s fair to guess that the good-will and respect she has in the industry could cross over from the Emmys, and it seems like a performance that could do really well on the critics circuit, and sometimes we see those break through. Not to say it won’t be difficult, and I’m not predicting her to win, but I think it’s a fair guess especially since she’s basically the only candidate we’ve seen and she’s set a pretty high benchmark. Bleecker Street does put me off, though.

Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

Hope McDormand goes supporting and loses just to keep this unique stat of always winning in lead and never winning in supporting.

3/3 Lead Wins
    0/3 Supporting Wins

What sense does it make for her to go supporting? This odd factoid can’t stand because she continues to work in prestige material.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Toni gives me future Honorary Oscar recipient. She’ll need an undeniable role to be on their radar again. The fact that she was snubbed for Hereditary is still disgusting.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1411784873224851463

Olivia Colman is Supporting for Mothering Sunday, right ? The leads are Josh O’Connor and Odessa Young.

She’s so getting nominated again.

The fact that Eva Husson was able to reunite this A-list cast after two panned movies is wild. The power of a writer, Alice Birch, in this case.

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

She’s so getting nominated again.

Double noms for her this year then. The Lost Daughter also looks like something that will get her a fair amount of buzz when it releases.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Ann Dowd when Next Goal Wins gets released and Elisabeth Moss swoops in…

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Barbra Please
    Topics:

Toni gives me future Honorary Oscar recipient. She’ll need an undeniable role to be on their radar again. The fact that she was snubbed for Hereditary is still disgusting.

The Oscars is fucking disgusting. 

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Frances Conroy has a cool role too (Phil and George’s mother). It’s a little Leslie Manville in Phantom Thread/Judi Dench in Shakespeare in Love/Viola Davis in Fences in that it’s a pretty small role but also a pretty cool one. Conroy is amazing, would love for her to get an Oscar after being such a great character actor for decades!

When Frances Conroy wins The Oscar without an Emmy before:

It is such a shame that her performance (along with many other great performances) in Six Feet Under went unrewarded at The Emmy. That show will go down as one of the foundation stones of the new golden age of TV, though.

"The Lost Daughter" in every eligible category - Film
    "Succession" Season 3 in every eligible category - TV
    "Heaux Tales" by Jasmine Sullivan in every eligible category - Music

Profile picture
    Barbra Please
    Topics:

To anyone who’ve seen Mass, do you really think Ann Dowd is supporting?

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Barbra Please
    Topics:

No, she’s as much as a lead as the other 3.

That’s sad. Do you think she had a chance to be put in lead?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress’ is closed to new replies.