Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 496 through 506 (of 506 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
Diamond Tier
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Cocastique
    Topics:

Has there ever been a male-led film in Campion’s filmography ? I can’t think of any films of hers without a strong female lead.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I really really think Dunst will be lead.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

If she’s lead, then who wins here? It would be an opening for a lot of other contenders, like if Fox decided to throw Comer in here. Maybe Netflix will take the opportunity to campaign Negga? If Dunst goes Lead, then I’ll probably go with Houdyshell until we get some answers.

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    veronikavoss
    Topics:

It does seem weird that the female lead of a Jane Campion film would go Supporting. And it’s not like Netflix is incapable of getting two people in the same acting category. Driver and Pryce both got in, Hopkins and the Irishmen all got in (sans De Niro obvs), Boseman and Oldman both got in last year. The only thing is that Best Actress is crowded and her role in the book is borderline. I’m interested to see who wins Volpi bc if it’s Kirsten that’ll be a sign

Netflix also has Jennifer Lawrence, Halle Berry and Tessa Thompson (they seem to be bringing Passing around to the fests), so I can see them push Kirsten in Supporting if it’s plausible enough that her/Plemmons support Cumberbatch — who would also be more likely to win an acting prize at Venice than Dunst, who has much stronger competition with performances like like Cruz, KStew, Colman, etc.

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

The problem is that Olivia Colman is the best actress working today and she’s gonna absolutely kill it in her role in The Lost Daughter (I’m reading the book).

I think Dunst is going Supporting.

I mean Olivia is not getting another lead actress Oscar this soon i know it just happened to Frances but she’s an industry titan. Also Kristen is a bigger priority since her film probably will be in best picture while the lost daughter probably won’t but maybe it’s early things could change but i doubt.

Profile picture
    BigJay2012
    Topics:

Honestly, I am SO ready for this. She has a really wonderful part, and good god is Frances Conroy underrated. Being Ryan Murphy-ed hasn’t exactly helped her, because she is a very good parallel to Ann Dowd and should be commanding an equivalent amount of praise/buzz.

Frances is legit one of the best actresses on the face of the Earth.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Also it’s just strange for a female directed performance to not be placed in lead when it is feasible. I’d be quite disappointed if Dunst is placed in supporting.

THIS. Campion’s never done it, all her instincts for filmmaking go against the idea that Dunst will be supporting and even just from the source material, Rose is like….everywhere in terms of screentime. I also think Campion will need to beef up George a little bit if they want Plemons to get his very easy nomination. The character has tons of screentime but I worry that it’s just too passive a character to make an impact when you have characters like Phil, Rose and Peter around, and he has such a limited POV in the book that she’s really going to have to make some stuff for him—and whatever it is, he’ll do great.

As a funny aside, the sex scene in the R rating can only be between Dunst & Plemons’ characters and……I’m not sure I want to see that LOL

So let’s leave Dunst out of here for the moment. I think this category is just waiting for some big shake-ups because if McDormand, Comer are put here, and when Negga, Buckley, Conroy, Taylor-Joy are added to the predictions center, the whole top 5 as we see it could radically change. If Comer especially goes supporting, I think she might displace Dowd as the frontrunner in the predictions. AGAIN I have to inveigh: HOW on god’s green earth does putting both Dowd & Plimpton in supporting make any strategic sense at all!?

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

Cuz Im bored I’ll say viola davis for suicide squad for no other reason than if it happens, I’ll look like a friggin genius ( it wont happen but still).

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I haven’t seen the second film yet but Viola Davis was the only good thing about the first Suicide Squad.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

The problem is that Olivia Colman is the best actress working today and she’s gonna absolutely kill it in her role in The Lost Daughter (I’m reading the book).

I think Dunst is going Supporting.

I think Dunst is going Lead as I’ve said, but I could not agree more about Colman. I mean, even if I didn’t Stan THIS ROLE is just too damn great! As much as I want Dunst to win, Colman still seems more likely to me because her character will wrench out your heart, stomp all over it and give you the mommy issues you never knew you had. Dunst’s character is great. Thompson’s character is great. But if I had to rank the characters (don’t ask me to rank the books, I can’t, they’re equals), Colman wins.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

It’s not common, tho. The only other time it’s happened is Brando and De Niro winning for Vito Corleone (in two Best Picture winners no less). Even without Dunst, there’s still Houdyshell and others who could contend

West Side Story is a previous BP winner contending as a nominee in 2021. So if DeBose is nominated who’s to say she won’t win the same way Rita Moreno did? Uncommon occurrences ≠ impossibilities.

Viewing 11 posts - 496 through 506 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress’ is closed to new replies.