Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Crafts Categories (Part 1)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Crafts Categories (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 426 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
JV
Babylonian
FreemanGriffin
  • Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

What are everyone’s predictions for Best Editing, and why? This is final category I’m laboring over. I’m pretty certain about Belfast & Dune, but am debating between TPotD, Don’t Look Up, King Richard, and No Time to Die for the last three slots. I could go either way on any of them…

Belfast, Dune, King Richard, Licorice Pizza and TPOTD.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Not me having The Power of the Dog in Production Design the whole season just to drop it out when the guilds started…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Belfast is done in Best Picture after the Editing miss.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Does anyone have an explanation as to why Janty Yates didn’t get costume nominations for the Baftas and Oscars for HoG? I thought she did a great job and the costumes were beautiful (Gucci allowed the filmmakers to use pieces from their archives). I liked the wigs and hairstyles for Gaga but I think Jared Leto’s transformation is the main reason it got nominations for makeup. Was it just competition?

Also: how do studios decide which crew members get nominated for makeup? Gaga’s hairstylist got an Oscar nomination but her makeup artist-Sarah Tanno-didn’t. She did get a Bafta nomination. Jana Carboni was a makeup and prosthetics designer for the film and she also got a Bafta nomination but not an Oscar nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

Does anyone have an explanation as to why Janty Yates didn’t get costume nominations for the Baftas and Oscars for HoG? I thought she did a great job and the costumes were beautiful (Gucci allowed the filmmakers to use pieces from their archives).

Just a theory, but maybe the Costume Designers branch just hated how the movie portrayed such a dramatic event in fashion history. I mean, that letter of Tom Ford.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BoBoBonehead
    Topics:

Stating the obvious here: Figuring out Dune‘s ultimate haul is the key to this year’s craft categories.

I think there’s a day where it joins the growing list of 0-for-10 BP nominees.

Strip away the façade, and Dune is a bunch of actors playing pretend in the Jordan desert. Like Macbeth, the production design is deceptively minimalist in appearance. In terms of world-building, the two elements that arguably do most of the heavy-lifting are the VFX and the Costumes.

I wouldn’t call VFX a lock for Dune because of Spider-Man’s success. Marvel has never won in this category. If they’re ever going to, now would be the time, since they passed on Avengers Endgame.

I’m also currently torn between West Side Story and Dune for the Oscar in costumes. If Oscar wants to spread the love, I think costumes is the likeliest place for West Side Story to pick something up besides DeBose.

If they’re spreading the love widely, I can easily see the Guillermo Del Toro Best Picture nominee picking up production design again. Nightmare Alley‘s multi-million dollar carnival is certainly deserving.

The Power of the Dog is a strong contender in Adapted Screenplay, Score, Cinematography, and Editing, and Dune could easily miss out there.

I’m not counting out No Time to Die in Sound, either. In Dune,didn’t it bother anyone that 20,000 years in the future, humans still hadn’t developed better radio communication technology?

Oddly enough, Makeup and Hairstyling might be the easiest place to reward Dune. With Stellan Skarsgård’s fat-suit and the rest of the Harkonnen army, the film is accomplishing both the prosthetic work and the white-skin makeup seen in other nominees. Jared Leto’s transformation is the most impressive makeup achievement of the year though.

Oh, and Gucci probably missed costumes because the Academy hates blatant brand promotion. Any film with the subtext “buy more ____” is generally met with disdain, especially when that product was already popular before the film existed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

I highly doubt Dune goes home empty-handed – at the very least, it’s gonna get Sound – but I don’t think it’ll sweep, either.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BoBoBonehead
    Topics:

I think there’s enough criticism one can make about Dune‘s sound that it’s vulnerable in that category.

Villeneuve’s films are known for their unique sound design, but some of the choices in Dune felt uninspired to me.

For instance, 20,000 years in the future, why do the thornicopters sound indistinguishable from modern helicopters?

Also, the film’s sound mix is straight out of the Interstellar or Tenet. A common complaint about the film is how distressingly loud it is.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Dune is absolutely locked for Sound, Editing and VFX, at least. It’s the frontrunner for Production Design, Score and Cinematography, but it has formidable competition from Nightmare Alley and The Power of the Dog in those categories.

Costume Design: Cruella is the frontrunner because it’s really showy, Jenny Beavan is really respected and the story revolves around the costumes. However, in the last 30 years only fives movies have won Costume Design without a Production Design nomination: Little Women, Phantom Thread, Elizabeth: The Golden Age, Marie Antoinette and The Adventures of Priscilla, the Queen of the Desert. Nightmare Alley, Dune and West Side Story could all take it.

Hair/Make Up is really wide open and that’s why I’m predicting Dune. Transformations usually win, but there’s two of those (Gucci and Tammy Faye) this time and I don’t think any of those is a consensus like Vice/Bombshell/Darkest Hour. Dune also has a transformation: Stellan Skarskgard, but I think Tammy Faye has the edge over Gucci for having an acting nom.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Dune Predictions

Sound
    (1) Dune
    (2) –

Visual Effects
    (1) Dune
    (2) Spider Man: No Way Home

Editing
    (1) Dune
    (2) –

Cinematography
    (1) Dune
    (2) The Power Of The Dog

Production Design
    (1) Nightmare Alley
    (2) Dune

Original Score
    (1) Dune
    (2) The Power Of The Dog

Costume Design
    (1) Cruella
    (2) Dune

Makeup and Hairstyling
    (1) The Eyes Of Tammy Faye
    (2) Dune
    (3) House Of Gucci

Adapted Screenplay
    (1) The Power Of The Dog
    —-
    (2) CODA
    (3) Drive My Car
    (4) The Lost Daughter
    (5) Dune

~Not much active now due to a higher studies course
    ~still love watching films and television shows
    ~Everything Everywhere All At Once in all categories.
    ~Currently watching Abbott Elementary

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BoBoBonehead
    Topics:

Ah yes, having an acting nomination gives a film an advantage in Makeup & Hairstyling.

Ma Rainey
    Bombshell
    Vice
    Darkest Hour 
    Dallas Buyers Club
    Les Miserables
    The Iron Lady

That’s good news for Tammy Faye.

But sometimes tech-heavy BP noms win in this category…

Mad Max: Fury Road vs The Revenant
    Grand Budapest Hotel vs Foxcatcher

Hmmm…

That means its likely Dune vs Tammy Faye in that category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

No film without a Director nom has won more than 4 Oscars in decades, I could see Dune breaking that trend, but also maybe it just wins its 3 most obvious categories (VFX, Sound, Editing) and one other like Score or Make-up.

The Production Design nom likely means that POTD is a very strong challenger in Cinematography. Cruella should be fine to take Costumes despite missing PD for the reasons others have already mentioned. It’s basically Costume Design: The Movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

Sorry, but Gucci deserves hair and makeup. The prosthetic work on Chastain was impressive for the most part, but I thought Garfield’s was sometimes distracting.

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BoBoBonehead
    Topics:

Absolutely agreed that the work in Tammy Faye can be very distracting whereas the work in House of Gucci is seamless.

This makes me give Dune the advantage, due to split.

If Cruella is taking Costumes, I think it could take Makeup as well. They do love that Harley Quinn thing, and the prosthetic showdown of the other four nominees could all eliminate each other.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 426 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.