Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 predictions

Oscars 2022 predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 412 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
6 days ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
fefface
wolfali
Stank83
  • Profile picture
    TVFan365
    Topics:

Wendell Pierce announced today through Twitter that he’s going to play BB King! I’ll be on the lookout for whenever that comes out. Pierce is a fine actor, so I’m very excited to see him take on this role.

Dear Gold Derby, please add Ibrahima Gueye to the prediction center 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:
    BudnP
    Topics:

Lol, Bradley Cooper is not getting a double nomination!

Hm… I disagree. He’s starring in a Paul Thomas Anderson film (arguably the most consistent current filmmaker – his last four films have all scored, at least, one nomination) and a Guilermo del Toro film (the guy who won Best Picture & Best Director a few years back).

In the former, he’s the most famous and well-known actor in the film… he is, also, if I’m right, playing a Hollywood producer/director sort of character – a la Burt Reynolds in Boogie Nights (another PTA film), who got nominated for an Oscar in that role. Also, side-note: every PTA film has had the most famous actor in them at the very least get nominated for a Golden Globe.

In Nightmare Alley, Cooper is gonna be playing an alcoholic – the sort of role which nearly always gets an Oscar nom: Jeff Bridges – Crazy Heart, Leonardo DiCaprio – Once Upon A Time In Hollywoood, Bradley Cooper – A Star Is Born… And, given many people thought he should have won for A Star Is Born, giving him the win for Nightmare Alley can be seen as a kind of reparation (akin to Holden winning for Stalag 17 and not Sunset Boulevard).

Also, the Academy loves Bradley Cooper – as do I, so maybe I’m a bit bias. But, all the same, Cooper has pretty much been nominated for every Oscar-attention sort of film, which gets critical acclaim, he has been in. Many would argue he didn’t deserve nominations for American Sniper and American Hustle – I would disagree. The thing about Bradley Cooper, which I imagine is what makes the Academy like him, is that he is one of the few actors in the current era with a strong hold of movie star charisma, which should hold him in good stead with the Academy and filmmakers – to whom the movie star charisma has a certain appeal to.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BudnP
    Topics:

Lol, Richard Williams is exuberant that Will Smith is starring from what I remember seeing. People are not going to approach inquiries on whether Will Smith is Black enough to play someone with any seriousness

This is true. Personally, I reckon the biggest risk with King Richard is whether or not it will actually be good.

If Will Smith is going to win an Oscar at any point, it is, in all fairness, about now. And the role of Richard Williams is a beast of a role that I reckon Will Smith is capable of pulling off – although I admit that Smith has never truly capitalized on his abilities, even in his better films.

The issue I have is more who is directing it – Reinaldo Marcus Green. Who recently directed Good Joe Bell. I haven’t seen this film, but it has opened to mixed reviews. Do not be surprised if King Richard recieves the same level of acclaim. And, unfortunately, this is not a Joker or a Bohemian Rhapsody type of film, where the iconic level of the protagonists can help it reach a bigger audience. If King Richard recieves middling reviews, the best it would probably get is a nom for Will Smith – but, certainly, not a win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Early Actor pred:

1. Adam Driver (Annette)
    2. Leonardo DiCaprio (Don’t Look Up)
    3. Christian Bale (Amsterdam)
    4. Denzel Washington (The Tragedy of Macbeth)
    5. Will Smith (King Richard)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Mickmack
    Topics:

Hm… I disagree. He’s starring in a Paul Thomas Anderson film (arguably the most consistent current filmmaker – his last four films have all scored, at least, one nomination) and a Guilermo del Toro film (the guy who won Best Picture & Best Director a few years back). In the former, he’s the most famous and well-known actor in the film… he is, also, if I’m right, playing a Hollywood producer/director sort of character – a la Burt Reynolds in Boogie Nights (another PTA film), who got nominated for an Oscar in that role. Also, side-note: every PTA film has had the most famous actor in them at the very least get nominated for a Golden Globe. In Nightmare Alley, Cooper is gonna be playing an alcoholic – the sort of role which nearly always gets an Oscar nom: Jeff Bridges – Crazy Heart, Leonardo DiCaprio – Once Upon A Time In Hollywoood, Bradley Cooper – A Star Is Born… And, given many people thought he should have won for A Star Is Born, giving him the win for Nightmare Alley can be seen as a kind of reparation (akin to Holden winning for Stalag 17 and not Sunset Boulevard). Also, the Academy loves Bradley Cooper – as do I, so maybe I’m a bit bias. But, all the same, Cooper has pretty much been nominated for every Oscar-attention sort of film, which gets critical acclaim, he has been in. Many would argue he didn’t deserve nominations for American Sniper and American Hustle – I would disagree. The thing about Bradley Cooper, which I imagine is what makes the Academy like him, is that he is one of the few actors in the current era with a strong hold of movie star charisma, which should hold him in good stead with the Academy and filmmakers – to whom the movie star charisma has a certain appeal to.

Remember when Cooper was getting double nominated for ASIB and The Mule? That was hilarious.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Early Actor pred: 1. Adam Driver (Annette) 2. Leonardo DiCaprio (Don’t Look Up) 3. Christian Bale (Amsterdam) 4. Denzel Washington (The Tragedy of Macbeth) 5. Will Smith (King Richard)

I can see this, with potentially Cooper for Nightmare Alley swapped in instead of Bale/Driver. Driver will have the performance (and a lot to do, which the Academy loves to reward) but Carax’s Carax-ness could be an obstacle unless the names involved are enough to get a lot of eyes on it.

David O’Russell is great at getting actors nominations and Bale always has the performance too but I have no idea what Amsterdam is about so that’s why I’d potentially swap him. That and this is O’Russell’s first big film since it came out he’s kind of a creep, which is sure to come up again around awards time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Many would argue he didn’t deserve nominations for American Sniper and American Hustle – I would disagree.

Personally I find the fact he got nominated for either of these, never mind both, is  ludicrous. I do think he’s getting in for at least one of his movies next year and I agree he’s very charismatic but his open, unabashed thirst for the Oscar is kind of off putting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Magnus
    Topics:

Not sure who could win right now but there are many contenders for the nomination in this category.
    1. Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    2. Christian Bale, Amsterdam
    3. Chris Pine, Newsflash
    4. Leonardo DiCaprio, Killers of the Flower Moon
    5. Bradley Cooper, Nightmare Alley
    6. Adam Driver, Annette
    7. Michael Fassbender, Next Goal Wins
    8. Joaquin Phoenix, C’mon C’mon
    9. Austin Butler, Elvis
    10. Will Smith, King Richard

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DestinyFulfilled
    Topics:

Has anybody heard anything about “Red, White and Water” with Brian Tyree Henry and Jennifer Lawrence? I am beginning to think that that movie will end up being a VOD release…It’s so strange that we haven’t heard ANYTHING about it and that it is still in post-production (filming wrapped over a year ago).

I don’t see a nomination for JLaw for Don’t look up, either, meaning that she won’t be nominated for another two years.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Magnus
    Topics:

Has anybody heard anything about “Red, White and Water” with Brian Tyree Henry and Jennifer Lawrence? I am beginning to think that that movie will end up being a VOD release…It’s so strange that we haven’t heard ANYTHING about it and that it is still in post-production (filming wrapped over a year ago). I don’t see a nomination for JLaw for Don’t look up, either, meaning that she won’t be nominated for another two years.

I agree to be honest. I don’t see Don’t Look Up doing that well; this doesn’t seem like another The Big Short or Vice. No clue what’s happening with Red, White and Water.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

I can see this, with potentially Cooper for Nightmare Alley swapped in instead of Bale/Driver. Driver will have the performance (and a lot to do, which the Academy loves to reward) but Carax’s Carax-ness could be an obstacle unless the names involved are enough to get a lot of eyes on it. David O’Russell is great at getting actors nominations and Bale always has the performance too but I have no idea what Amsterdam is about so that’s why I’d potentially swap him. That and this is O’Russell’s first big film since it came out he’s kind of a creep, which is sure to come up again around awards time.

Sparks (who wrote the film) have said they’re  so impressed by Adam Driver that they want to do another music project with him. I think he’ll be in the conversation, Carax or not.

DiCaprio has been nominated for everything he’s done recently so he’s probably a solid pick even if his film isn’t great. People will watch it for the cast alone even if it isn’t that good.

Will Smith will have the comeback narrative a la Zellweger.

Phoenix will miss.

Is the Elvis biopic definitely coming out next year?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Personally I find the fact he got nominated for either of these, never mind both, is  ludicrous.

Especially the fact he got in for Sniper over David Oyelowo.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Especially the fact he got in for Sniper over David Oyelowo.

There’s a part of me that wants him to just win one so he can cool it with his intense thirst, but I also think there are so many more interesting actors and performances out there than some of his nominations so I’m also happy for him to stay Oscarless for now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Gosh I’m remembering when Cooper tried to win Actor by trying to get the sympathy vote for getting snubbed in director even though it was clear after the Globes he wasn’t coming close to winning an acting Oscar that year.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 412 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.