March 15, 2021 at 12:51 pm #1204135842
Let’s post new trivia/stats/milestones for the 93rd Annual Academy Awards.
It’s been 44 years since the Golden Globes winner for supporting actress has not received a corresponding Oscar nomination. That was Katharine Ross for “Voyage of the Damned.” This time, it’s Jodie Foster for “The Mauritanian.”
Discuss.March 15, 2021 at 1:58 pm #1204136154
With her 8th Oscar nom, Glenn Close is the living actress with second most noms after StreepMarch 15, 2021 at 2:51 pm #1204136396
With her 6th acting nomination, Frances McDormand has been nominated in 5 consecutive decadesMarch 16, 2021 at 10:54 am #1204138517
This is the first time in Academy history that two Asian-descent actors, Riz Ahmed & Steven Yeun, have ever competed against each other in the lead actor category.
Viola Davis is now the most Oscar-nominated black woman of all time with four nominations (“Doubt,” “The Help,” “Fences,” & “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”).March 17, 2021 at 5:15 pm #1204141828
March 17, 2021 at 6:13 pm #1204141925
- At 83, Anthony Hopkins is the oldest Best Actor nominee in Oscar history. He is also the first person to get back-to-back acting nominations in his 80s and only the third actor in history to receive more than one acting nomination in his 80s, joining the likes of Jessica Tandy and Christopher Plummer.
- Maria Bakalova is the first Bulgarian actor nominated for an Oscar.
- Daniel Kaluuya is the first Black British actor to receive more than one Oscar nomination. If he wins, he’ll be the first ever Black British actor to win an Oscar.
- Amanda Seyfried is the second Mean Girl to be nominated for an Oscar, joining Rachel McAdams.
- Mank is the third black-and-white film to be nominated in Best Makeup and Hairstyling, and the first since Ed Wood in 1994.
- This is only the third time that all five of the Best Actor nominees were nominated alongside co-stars. This previously happened in 1991 and 2013.
Chloé Zhao is the first Asian woman nominated for Best Director. She is also the first female to receive four Oscar nominations in a single year (Best Picture, Best Director, Adapted Screenplay, & Film Editing).March 17, 2021 at 6:28 pm #1204141956
That Frances stat is even more impressive when you realize she’s only the seventh performer ever to be nominated across five different decades, after Laurence Olivier, Katharine Hepburn, Paul Newman, Michael Caine, Jack Nicholson, and Meryl Streep
This is also the first time ever that all five Original Screenplay nominees are also nominated for Best PictureMarch 18, 2021 at 4:38 am #1204142658
Best Supporting Actor has seen double noms in 3 of the last 4 years. (Three Billboards, Irishman, Judas & Black Messiah). However, when was the last time before this recent trend started in 2018?
Godfather Part II in 1975. it was a triple nom too.March 18, 2021 at 4:44 am #1204142662
This is a very rough trivia but this year continues the trend of an acting nomination for a performance mostly not in the English language (four performances actually with Korean and American Sign Language).
I just love movies. And awards.March 18, 2021 at 6:45 am #1204142845
Chadwick Boseman is the first African American actor to be nominated posthumousMarch 18, 2021 at 6:56 am #1204142877
Jodie Foster is the youngest actress in history to have 2 Oscars for Best Actress at 29.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.