Home Forums Movies Overrated Films And Performances Of 2019

Overrated Films And Performances Of 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 2 posts - 46 through 47 (of 47 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
Miles
smindymix
JackO
  • Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

5: The Lighthouse. Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson were fantastic, but people who call it one of the best films of the year are overrating it imo. The second half dragged way too long and the ending nearly goes in a very bad direction before fixing itself. They also missed a great opportunity by not sticking to the old 1930’s-40’s horror movie feel they established in the first half.

4: Knives Out. I love the first two acts of this movie, but the 3rd act took the story in a less satisfying direction that felt more cliche than subversive. Daniel Craig, Ana de Armas, and Chris Evans are all fantastic, but none of the other cast members are given anything substantial to do, and felt a bit wasted.

3: The Two Popes. Probably my least favorite movie of last year, or tied with The Rise of Skywalker. The entire narrative is a sham, with portrayals of our two main characters that border on heresy. It’s so obvious that this film was only created for Meirelles and McCarten to shove their politics down our throats. It’s also slow as a snail. Pryce and Hopkins are pretty good, but not Oscar worthy with how much competition they had.

2: The Irishman. My problems with this film are well documented: cliche story, confusing non-linear narrative, bloated runtime, etc. In retrospect I also find Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci’s performances to be very overrated. Both are just playing their usual roles and neither do anything unique until the very end of the movie (though Pesci’s moment only lasts like 30 seconds).

1: 1917. Easily the most overrated movie of the year. The fact that it got upset in Best Picture and Best Director makes me very happy (especially since the best film of the year won both). Story is filled with holes, the characters are barely developed, and the tension is completely killed if you’re seen any of the trailers even just once, making the large majority of the film kind of boring. George MacKay is great, but Dean Charles Chapman is slightly overrated. I would have preferred if Benedict Cumberbatch was the other protagonist. I’d glad this film only won below-the-line, since that’s where it shined.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Do people love Zhao Shuzhen just because they have no experience with Chinese grandmas? That performance was unremarkable to me. And Awkwafina was in the same state the entire movie, which also just went in circles.

People love her because she’s such a warm presence; while also getting several big laughs. The character and performance are extremely likable, which adds so much to the tragedy of the story.

She should’ve swept.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 2 posts - 46 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.