Home Forums Movies Overrated Movies and Performances of 2020 (and 2021 awards season)

Overrated Movies and Performances of 2020 (and 2021 awards season)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Awardsfan1990
boredandricho..
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Most of the film/performances nominated this year suck. None of them would have made my lineup any other year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Davis was quite bad in Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (her one and only bad performance), and I thought Kirby was an absolute distant, ice-queen in Pieces of a Woman. Kate Winslet and Elisabeth Moss should have replaced them.

Boseman’s season mentions over much better co-stars Clark Peters & Jonathan Majors in Da 5 Bloods was quite something. That was pure sentimentality. Peters in particular was unfairly snubbed all season long.

Bakalova was the bright spot of Borat 2, but an Oscar nomination seems like overkill in her case. The screenplay nomination, too, was undeserving. There were so many better comedic performances from Rose Byrne (Spy) to Regina Hall (Scary Movie) to Rachel McAdams and Amanda Seyfried (Mean Girls) over the years, who really should have been mentioned. It feels like an injustice that they missed while Bakalova made the cut.

Cohen was dreadful as well as most of his co-stars in The Trial of the Chicago 7. He should have been near Razzie consideration instead. But I guess putting on a wig and having some funny one-liners makes a white man deserving of awards.

And give me a break about Oldman. He sleepwalked through Mank. It wasn’t a bad performance, but it was utterly uncharismatic and uninteresting. Delroy Lindo should have replaced him.

Raci didn’t make much impact on me. It wasn’t about him being subtle. I just didn’t care about his performance. Alan S. Kim or Clark Peters should have taken his spot.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    NotsocreativeUsername
    Topics:

Was Chadwick Boseman REALLY the best actor last year or are so many folks on that bandwagon because he died? Would Heath Ledger have won for Dark Knight if he hadn’t died or was it a combination of his passing with the fact that he REALLY should have won for Brokeback.

There’s waaay too much campaigning. And there’s much too much fear about not nominating or voting for black/brown people because then the whole AMPAS is suddenly racist.

Borat deserves nothing. Waste of everything.

I know folks are saying Carey Mulligan is overrated but that performance really took guts. It was disturbing and intriguing and balls-out…

but I still think Frances should win. I was transfixed by her. Some argue she’s overrated but that’s merely a failure to see the nuances, the subtleties of her performance. She disappeared beautifully into that role.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    iWantTheGold
    Topics:

Overrated:

Nomadland
    The Trial of the Chicago 7
    Borat 2 (funny, but c’mon)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Paul Raci was good but not that great as people made him to be. Everyone hyped him up to be this tour de force performance and when I watched SoM I was not that impressed. Raci is fluent in ASL which is great for the role he is given but his acting was way too subtle in my opinion. At times when Ruben was speaking to Raci’s character it reminded me of the conversations I had with my professor. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing but it’s too subtle for my taste I suppose.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Feel like this is going to be unpopular but I’d say the most overrated thing this year has been the Best Actress category. Not because the five nominated aren’t among the most deserving but because all season long I’ve heard the category called stuff like “the best it’s been in years”. But is it? Outside of the nominated 5, no one even came close. And within the nominated five, the reason I’d argue there has been no clear frontrunner is not because they’re all so good but because none of their performances actually feel like Oscar winners.

Like most of the critics and film twitter seem to have got behind Carey Mulligan now (myself included) but this isn’t because anyone thinks she gives a performance for the ages. It’s because we’ve all seen her doing incredible work for years and she’s in a really zeitgeisty movie that evokes a lot of passion. For me, it’s the weakest year since 2009, which is ironic given that’s the last time Mulligan was nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Awardsfan1990
    Topics:

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm. Yes, it was great seeing Maria Bakalova humiliate Rudy Giuliani, but other than that, there’s nothing really Oscar-worthy about her performance, or the film in general. Admittedly, gross-out humor isn’t my cup of tea, but I will say, this film didn’t make me cringe quite as much as the first Borat. It’s still not a good film, though.

And while I don’t think Glenn Close’s performance in Hillbilly Elegy was bad enough to earn a Razzie nomination, I don’t think it was good enough to earn an Oscar nomination either.

Also, I’m Thinking Of Ending Things is overrated in every aspect. The performances are okay, but not extraordinary. The makeup is just average, the production design and cinematography look all blah and washed out, and the screenplay is bloated, self-indulgent and pretentious and tries too hard to combine Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? and The Shining.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rett89
    Topics:

Mank. I don’t think it’s bad but it’s very tedious.

Outside of Bakalova, the Borat 2 attention is also quite strange.

I also don’t think Judas and the Black Messiah hits as much as it should have.

Best Actress: Carey Mulligan
    Best Actor: Riz Ahmed
    Best Supporting Actor: LaKeith Stanfield
    Best Supporting Actress: Maria Bakalova

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    abelfenty
    Topics:

Movies:
    Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
    First Cow
    Judas and the Black Messiah
    Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Never Rarely Sometimes Always
    One Night in Miami

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm. Yes, it was great seeing Maria Bakalova humiliate Rudy Giuliani, but other than that, there’s nothing really Oscar-worthy about her performance, or the film in general. Admittedly, gross-out humor isn’t my cup of tea, but I will say, this film didn’t make me cringe quite as much as the first Borat. It’s still not a good film, though. And while I don’t think Glenn Close’s performance in Hillbilly Elegy was bad enough to earn a Razzie nomination, I don’t think it was good enough to earn an Oscar nomination either. Also, I’m Thinking Of Ending Things is overrated in every aspect. The performances are okay, but not extraordinary. The makeup is just average, the production design and cinematography look all blah and washed out, and the screenplay is bloated, self-indulgent and pretentious and tries too hard to combine Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? and The Shining.

how itoet is overrated when it got literally no recognition… on personal note I think buckley was brilliant in it and she deserved to be nominated

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

I agree with you only Carey and Frances are Oscar worthy. But the 2018 Best Actress category was much worse besides Olivia and Yalitza. Glenn Close won awards for a movie no one watched, GAGA was nominated because voters were surprised she didn’t act bad, and Melissa McCarthy for the same reason but in a dramatic role.

You are pretty wrong. Melissa McCarthy was tour-de-force and would have been a deserving winner, and the movie was also very good.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Awardsfan1990
    Topics:

how itoet is overrated when it got literally no recognition… on personal note I think buckley was brilliant in it and she deserved to be nominated

I’m saying I’m Thinking Of Ending Things is overrated because most critics gave it great reviews and put it on their best of the year list. I, however, put it on my worst of the year list.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Awardsfan1990
    Topics:

Also, A Shaun The Sheep Movie: Farmageddon (and its predecessor) are highly overrated and didn’t deserve their nominations in their respective years. The gimmick of no dialogue and garbled sounds for any human dialogue wore off pretty quickly for me. I get Oscar voters like to nominate stop-motion animated films, and I know how much they love Aardman as a studio, but why, oh why, couldn’t The Willoughbys have been nominated instead?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Isabela
    Topics:

Like most of the critics and film twitter seem to have got behind Carey Mulligan now (myself included) but this isn’t because anyone thinks she gives a performance for the ages. It’s because we’ve all seen her doing incredible work for years and she’s in a really zeitgeisty movie that evokes a lot of passion. For me, it’s the weakest year since 2009, which is ironic given that’s the last time Mulligan was nominated.

Weaker than 2011?

Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/IsabelaOlivie/

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.