( +1 hidden )
November 8, 2019 at 8:39 am #1203171054
What are some performances, nominated or not at the Oscars, that are overrated in Goldderby?
The first one that I thought of was Sally Hawkins in The Shape Of Water.
What about you?
https://letterboxd.com/cherry123/November 8, 2019 at 8:50 am #1203171070This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.November 8, 2019 at 9:22 am #1203171099
We were just having this conversation so I’m sorry for bringing it up again, but Toni Collette in Hereditary. I’m not going to say she was terrible or overacted as it was still a technically well-executed performance, but I will never understand the frenzy on GD and film Twitter about her being undeniable and an unforgivable snub.
Agreed. Never understood the high heavens praise for it.
Especially when compared to other female horror performances of 2018 from Emily Blunt and Dakota Johnson.November 8, 2019 at 9:27 am #1203171109
Lady Gaga in A Star is BornNovember 8, 2019 at 9:27 am #1203171110
You’re entitled to your own opinion but Hawkins in TSOW is one of my favorites of the decade.
I’m not saying any of the below are terrible, but as I am only listing winning performances I personally think they’re overrated.As these are off the top of my head they tend to be more recent.
Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing Missouri
Allison Janney, I, Tonya
Emma Stone, La La Land
Rami Malek, Bohemian RhapsodyNovember 8, 2019 at 9:30 am #1203171115
– I will never, ever understand the acclaim for JLaw in American Hustle or for any David O. Russell-directed performance. If she really had to win an Oscar that young, I’d just rewrite history and award her for mother!
– Gaga in ASIB.. like. She had her moments especially at the ending, but she also was straight up cringe at times. I think many people got caught up in that whole “Gaga is on top again” thingy and were oblivious to the many flaws of her performance. Since she has a bigger following than any other Oscar nominated actor, her performance is easily the most overrated of the decade
– Larson was ok but completely fell flat at times
– McDormand in Fargo. What did I miss and why is this performance so popular ?
– All of the outright bad Oscar wins (Berry, Paltrow, Malek, Bullock etc) are technically overrated cuz well… they won. But they get so much deserved criticism so, are they really ?November 8, 2019 at 9:32 am #1203171120
Matthew McConaughey for anything he does that receives critical praise.November 8, 2019 at 9:37 am #1203171129
Daniel Kaluuya in Get Out.November 8, 2019 at 9:38 am #1203171136
Nicole Kidman whenever she plays American, the way the internet defends her bad accent every time.November 8, 2019 at 9:38 am #1203171138This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.November 8, 2019 at 9:43 am #1203171147
Nicole Kidman whenever she plays American, the way the internet defends her bad accent every time.
To be honest, I don’t think that the accent is important as a performer though. Of course it needs to be decent and if it’s done properly it makes the performance better. But, acting being good or not depends on the emotions an actor or actress showcases, not their accent.
https://letterboxd.com/cherry123/November 8, 2019 at 9:47 am #1203171157
Tbh he probably still deserved to win out of the nominees but Timothée Chalamet in CMBYN was in no way one of the best performances of the decade. I love that performance but I think the film Twitter/GD stanning blew it waaaaay out of proportion
Kaluuya deserved to win that year tbh.November 8, 2019 at 9:48 am #1203171160This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.