Home Forums Movies PGA 2019

PGA 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 286 through 299 (of 299 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
Guest 2018
O´Hara
Freddy Almonte
  • Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Agree with all of this except for the Cardellini thing. Weaver had been nominated for an Oscar for Animal Kingdom so her previous name recognition made it easier for her to coattail to a nom for a generally liked film than it would be for… Velma from the live-action Scooby-Doo movies? I mean, I loved Cardellini in Freaks and Geeks, but that is and shall remain a cult hit that aired many years ago.

That is a bit of a dated view.  Maybe that is her most iconic role, but people can have fluffy iconic roles and then forge a more prestigious path that gets industry recognition.  Reese Witherspoon comes to mind.  Since Freaks and Geeks and Scooby Doo, Cardellini has gotten a SAG ensemble nomination for Brokeback Mountain, an Emmy nomination for Mad Men, an Indie Spirit nomination for something called Return, a series regular credit on ER for six years, the most prominent female role on the Emmy-winning Bloodline and work in films like Age of UltronThe Founder and A Simple Favor.  I imagine that the industry is not dismissive of her like some of the general public might be and instead respects her as a working actress.

Weaver was probably one of the last names on the ballot as well so that might have helped as well along with name recognition.

The Emmys started giving half of their voters reverse alphabetical ballots (and the Oscars have not yet) specifically because being at the end of the ballot is a disadvantage, so that is not an argument for Weaver.  It is one for Cardellini.

ASiB should have had the easiest time winning PGA out of all the guilds due to it being a populist box office hit that is seen by many as the best version of a story now being told in a movie for the 4th time, plus it took so many years to make so for it to turn out to be such a massive hit on all fronts that had to require some serious producing skills, as in getting the film finally made.

Plus it has gotten a billion guild nominations, so this should have been its stronghold.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lisa Lemon
    Participant
    Topics:

You clearly know nothing about this race so I wont argue with you.

I know saying the CCA have nothing to do with the critics is just someone being ridiculous lol

Do not even try to make that comment make sense..you all think your opinion matters when in reality the fact you hate GB & BR means nothing & claiming they should not win or be nominated means …nothing again! lol

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

I know saying the CCA have nothing to do with the critics is just someone being ridiculous lol Do not even try to make that comment make sense..you all think your opinion matters when in reality the fact you hate GB & BR means nothing & claiming they should not win or be nominated means …nothing again! lol

It’s pretty much common knowledge that the Critics’ Choice is only around to hold the name and predict the Oscars, not actually reward the critics’ top choice. And you, and a percentage of the general public, loving GB and BR means nothing either if us thinking they shouldn’t win doesn’t.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jazzy
    Participant
    Topics:

Not to mention that LLL lost to a movie that won WGA (which ASIB will not) + Drama Motion Picture (which it failed to win). I literally don’t see what makes ASIB competitive for BP now

Indeed, and Moonlight got a standing ovation when it won the Globe. In all the years I’ve watched the Globes, that was the only time I recall any movie getting a standing ovation for winning.

ReplyCopy URL
    EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

I know saying the CCA have nothing to do with the critics is just someone being ridiculous lol Do not even try to make that comment make sense..you all think your opinion matters when in reality the fact you hate GB & BR means nothing & claiming they should not win or be nominated means …nothing again! lol

They call themselves ” The most accurate predictor of the Academy Awards nominations”. If that doesn’t convince you they don’t care about critics, then I don’t now what will.

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by  EsOS.

GIVE LENA HEADEY HER EMMY

ReplyCopy URL
    O´Hara
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s pretty much common knowledge that the Critics’ Choice is only around to hold the name and predict the Oscars, not actually reward the critics’ top choice. And you, and a percentage of the general public, loving GB and BR means nothing either if us thinking they shouldn’t win doesn’t.

They call themselves ” The most accurate predictor of the Academy Awards nominations”. If that doesn’t convince you they don’t care about critics, then I don’t now what will.

The bohemian girl really tried omg aksjaksas

bohemiangirl

ReplyCopy URL
    Lisa Lemon
    Participant
    Topics:

Huh?

ReplyCopy URL
    Dana S.
    Participant
    Topics:

Wait, someone here actually thinks that Critics Choice Awards are given to people who got most critics circles wins? Lmao.

ReplyCopy URL
    EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

Huh?

Critics’ Choice Awards are bestowed annually by the BFCA and BTJA to honor the finest in cinematic and television achievement. The BFCA is the largest film critics organization in the United States and Canada, representing more than 330 television, radio and online critics. BFCA members are the primary source of information for today’s film-going public. BTJA is the collective voice of journalists who regularly cover television for TV viewers, radio listeners and online audiences. Historically, the Critics’ Choice Awards are the most accurate predictor of the Academy Award nominations.

Taken from their own website

ReplyCopy URL
    vinny
    Participant
    Topics:

Green book….ok then

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Well we think the same then, people started overreacting towards Bohemian Rhapsody after the globes, am I wrong?

Once Bafta and ACE Eddie nominations were announced the hype for BR became a lot more validated. BR even knocked ASiB out of a couple categories like Cinematography and Editing at Bafta. I don’t think it can win Best Picture, though I do believe it is being underestimated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lisa Lemon
    Participant
    Topics:

Critics’ Choice Awards are bestowed annually by the BFCA and BTJA to honor the finest in cinematic and television achievement. The BFCA is the largest film critics organization in the United States and Canada, representing more than 330 television, radio and online critics. BFCA members are the primary source of information for today’s film-going public. BTJA is the collective voice of journalists who regularly cover television for TV viewers, radio listeners and online audiences. Historically, the Critics’ Choice Awards are the most accurate predictor of the Academy Award nominations. Taken from their own website

Yeah they are not the most accurate..past results have shown that, I spoke to someone who’s a reporter for a pretty popular magazine & he told me critics go with who they want & like..he even said that is why Rami Malek didn’t win, he was never winning cause the critics would look stupid giving it to someone in a movie they trashed from the moment it came out lol..I think people take these awards shows too seriously & believe they mean more than they do..

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by  Lisa Lemon.
    ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah they are not the most accurate..past results have shown that, I spoke to someone who’s a reporter for a pretty popular magazine & he told me critics go with who they want & like..he even said that is why Rami Malek didn’t win, he was never winning cause the critics would look stupid giving it to someone in a movie they trashed from the moment it came out lol..I think people take these awards shows too seriously & believe they mean more than they do..

The Critics’ Choice Awards have literally predicted at least 3 of the Oscar acting winners for this entire decade (didn’t really care to look beyond) and King with no support in the actual industry besides journalists seems to be the odd one out. The regular (actual) critic awards that lead up to these don’t actually have a high guarantee of being correct.

ReplyCopy URL
    EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

I think people take these awards shows too seriously & believe they mean more than they do..

You don’t seem to understand the point of these forums. They are literally to discuss awards.

FYI awards includes more than just Bohemian Rhapsody. Why don’t you go on another thread and discuss a movie you enjoyed or a performance that you liked? I would love to hear your unbiased oscar predictions.

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by  EsOS.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 286 through 299 (of 299 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.