Home Forums Movies Ran (1985)

Ran (1985)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Created
1 week ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
mateil
ENGLAND
Skyler_Lindqu..
  • Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

So, I’ve recently re-watched Ran on Amazon Prime. It has been years since I’ve seen it. Where do I start.

Akira Kurosawa is simply a genius. Ran has to be one of the best directed films I’ve witnessed. I did not appreciate it back in 2009 when I first watched it. Now, what can I see.

Let’s start with Kurosawa’s unmatchable direction. Everything involving Mise en scene was simply breathtaking. The cinematography was out of this world. Stage production and the different lighting to match the extravagant color schemes was memorizing. Emi Wada, the costume designer, should have won Best Costumes in a cake walk. By far, my favorite costumes in cinema. Kurosawa’s play on Shakespeare shows that you can use someone else story and still make art.

Tatsuya Nakadai as Lord Hidetora Ichimonji & Mieko Harada as Lady Kaede would have been my choices for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actress that year. Ran is known as a cinematic Legendary film and it deserves its title.

What do you guys think of Ran?
    Do you feel like it should have won more Oscars?
    Do you see any influences from Ran with films today?

Let’s discuss!

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

It should have swept. Kurosawa losing to Sydney Pollack is one of the greatest Oscar injustices.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

It should have swept. Kurosawa losing to Sydney Pollack is one of the greatest Oscar injustices.

Definitely should have swept.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Skyler Lindquist
    Topics:

Besides, Pollack should’ve won for Tootsie.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.