Home Forums Movies Respect (2021)- Jennifer Hudson

Respect (2021)- Jennifer Hudson

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Diamond Tier
Rachel615
roger88
  • Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

That’s cool. Not into the Tonys, but she was good in the few scenes she’s in. Young Aretha was good as well.

Thanks. Personally, as someone interested in Oscar predictions, I enjoy following Broadway and its awards in part because so many Broadway performers, especially POC ones, go on to become Oscar nominees, winners, and/or contenders. I first saw Viola, Lupita, Colman Domingo, Leslie Odom, Jr., Danai Gurira, Jeffrey Wright and Daveed Diggs on a Broadway stage before I ever saw any of them in a movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Daytripper78
    Topics:

I saw a screening Friday night and completely agree with the original poster. The biggest con is the run time. It’s a bit too long, and drags a bit at times. To address the Aundra Day comparisons. Respect is a MUCH a better film than The People vs Billie Holiday.

Jennifer Hudson is incredible. I’ve seen a lot of people who haven’t seen the film calling it Jennifer Hudson playing Effie White playing Aretha Franklin. That is not the case at all! Her performance is outstanding and she shines in the non singing scenes as well….but when she sings…look out! Her “Amazing Grace” had people hollering in the theater like they were at church!

She’s absolutely a top contender for a nomination. I don’t think a win is totally out of the question, but will have to see how the rest of the contenders shake out. It’s a shame we are in a pandemic box office slump, because I think it would have been a huge hit. General audiences are going to love it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Hudson’s road to another Oscar nod would make her only the 4th WOC to receive more than 1 acting nomination in the Academy’s 90+ history:

Whoopi Goldberg – 2
    The Color Purple (Nom)
    Ghost (Win)

Octavia Spencer – 3
    The Help (Won)
    Hidden Figures (Nom)
    The Shape of Water (Nom)

Viola Davis – 4
    Doubt (Nom)
    The Help (Nom)
    Fences (Won)
    Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (Nom)

Halle, Regina, & Ruth could potentially join this list too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Hudson’s road to another Oscar nod would make her only the 4th WOC to receive more than 1 acting nomination in the Academy’s 90+ history:

Whoopi Goldberg – 2
    The Color Purple (Nom)
    Ghost (Win)

Octavia Spencer – 3
    The Help (Won)
    Hidden Figures (Nom)
    The Shape of Water (Nom)

Viola Davis – 4
    Doubt (Nom)
    The Help (Nom)
    Fences (Won)
    Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (Nom)

Halle, Regina, & Ruth could potentially join this list too.

Watch Jennifer be the first to go 2-0.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Watch Jennifer be the first to go 2-0.

After last year, I refuse to predict any POC winning in Lead unless their film is a BP contender or the role is undeniable. Even then I’d be cautious…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

After last year, I refuse to predict any POC winning in Lead unless their film is a BP contender or the role is undeniable.

True, but I feel this way about white actresses, also. (But it’s even “more true” for POC.)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gucci
    Topics:

Honey, the Oscars are racist as fuck.  Those black actress stats are disgusting.  YUCK!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kallewickans
    Topics:

For women, it has been a long time coming to get recognition. This is especially true for black women, and women of color more broadly. Halle Berry is still the only black woman to win Best Actress. While there have been 4 winners in Best Actor, 7 in Supporting Actor, 8 in Supporting Actress, only one in Best Actress. One. In 93 years of Oscar history. That is almost a century.

as per sasha stone the stats are repulsive 🤮

AND wins. Just looking at the last 20 years, in most years the Lead Actor winner’s film was more embraced by the Academy than the Lead Actress winner’s. No surprise there of course but still, putting all leads in the same category would not bode well for women based on precedent.

2020 – The Father vs. Nomadland
    2019 – Joker vs. Judy
    2018 – Bohemian Rhapsody vs. The Favourite
    2017 – The Darkest Hour vs. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    2016 – Manchester by the Sea vs. La La Land
    2015 – The Revenant vs. Room
    2014 – The Theory of Everything vs. Still Alice
    2013 – Dallas Buyers Club vs. Blue Jasmine
    2012 – Lincoln vs. Silver Linings Playbook
    2011 – The Artist vs. The Iron Lady
    2010 – The King’s Speech vs. Black Swan
    2009 – Crazy Heart vs. The Blind Side (toss up, leaning toward Bridges’s career Oscar)
    2008 – Milk vs. The Reader
    2007 – There Will Be Blood vs. La Mome
    2006 – Last King of Scotland vs. The Queen
    2005 – Capote vs. Walk the Line
    2004 – Ray vs. Million Dollar Baby
    2003 – Mystic River vs. Monster
    2002 – The Pianist vs. The Hours
    2001 – Training Day vs. Monster’s Ball (toss up)

So in the last 20 years there were only 5 seasons (25 %) when the Best Actress winner’s film was more embraced by the Academy than the Best Actor winner’s film in the same year.

And while I am sure if they actually opted for these combined categories there would be a real effort in the beginning to keep the voting fair and balanced, after a year or two the Academy would clearly just go back to their old ways, which in this context would mean 3 actors and 1 actress winning the Lead category every 4 years. At least in the current, imperfect system we have 4 actresses winning Lead in a 4-year period.

I’m sure this will have a push back amongst the agents, actors and actresses.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

In addition to Oscar nods, J.Hud could be a R&B/Visual Media Field contender at the Grammys. The soundtrack & film are dropping at the right time & Hudson could benefit from the buzz. Imagine if she gets nominated for both. Her ASIB era!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    lanadelol
    Topics:

In addition to Oscar nods, J.Hud could be a R&B/Visual Media Field contender at the Grammys. The soundtrack & film are dropping at the right time & Hudson could benefit from the buzz. Imagine if she gets nominated for both. Her ASIB era!

Honestly I would live for this. JHud stays getting slept on so it would be iconic for this role to bring her more attention and success. Too bad the reviews haven’t been great. However the soundtrack is amazing and is probably a lock at the Grammys. I won’t be surprised if she and Carole King get in for Best Original Song at the Oscars either

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gucci
    Topics:

Honey, I am looking forward to Respect.  The trailer looks good!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Just left a screening of Respect. J.Hud killed it! Her performance is phenomenal. The theater was packed for a 1:30 showing. I could definitely see this being a big hit. It’s a conventional biopic but one that audiences will love.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    clay bryce
    Topics:

If Viola Davis couldn’t win her second Oscar as Best Actress, I can’t see J Hud doing the same. Nor do I see the Academy giving J Hud a second Oscar ever. And again, like Dreamgirls, her reviews only mention her singing performance, not her actual acting performance, which leaves a lot to be desired.

And let us not overlook the fact that, this thread was intended about J Hud and Aretha Franklin, and the majority of responses have been about Audra McDonald. That says a lot about this film and the “star” performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.