Home Forums Movies Respect (2021)- Jennifer Hudson

Respect (2021)- Jennifer Hudson

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Diamond Tier
Rachel615
roger88
  • Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Audra MacDonald is barely in the film. She’s not happening. If anything Forest Whitaker has the juiciest supporting role. As far as J.Hud’s concerned, her acting is exceptional. She captured Aretha’s essence down to a tee. It’s the best performance of her career.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Just saw Respect and will not be at all surprised if Jennifer Hudson wins a second Oscar – very similar trajectory to Renee Zellweger – a long absence from the Oscars, a win for Supporting Actress, and then years later a biopic wins the Best Actress Oscar. Jennifer Hudson gives a phenomenal performance.

I had a few problems with the biopic, such as the fact that very few of the black men in the movie aren’t vicious and patriarchal, but that was her life. The white males, esp. Jerry Wexler, come across so much better. There is standard biopic 101 elements in the movie but it’s still a very good movie worth seeing. My favorite scenes were the ones dealing with creativity, such as the muscle shoals recording sessions, and the working out of arrangements for songs.

I had a wish that came true at the end of the movie: I was hoping it would end with the real Aretha at Carole King’s Kennedy Center Honors singing “A Natural Woman” and sure enough that is shown (with photos of her career interspersed) during the end credits! That Aretha performance is one of my all-time favorites ever so I was beyond thrilled!

I was thinking that I would have loved a movie that only covered 1966-68, and esp. the creation of her first Atlantic album she made in Muscle Shoals, Alabama – those scenes were my favorites.

The supporting performances were uniformly good, even though I did not enjoy the characters of Rev. Franklin and Ted White – patriarchal abusive men, but that was her life. I wish Audra McDonald had been in the movie more, she was wonderful!

I really enjoyed it – was it perfect? No. But it was very entertaining and had a potentially Oscar-winning lead performance, for certain!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    syrus80
    Topics:

This movie was The Effie White Story (Hudson playing Effie as Aretha).

Ask yourself this. Would Aretha Franklin have been happy with a biopic where HER voice was only featured at the end? Yes, she wanted Jennifer. She would not have been happy with this film.

Jamie Foxx in Ray remains the standard.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BigJay2012
    Topics:

This movie was The Effie White Story (Hudson playing Effie as Aretha).

Ask yourself this. Would Aretha Franklin have been happy with a biopic where HER voice was only featured at the end? Yes, she wanted Jennifer. She would not have been happy with this film.

Jamie Foxx in Ray remains the standard.

You have no way of knowing that. Aretha picked Jennifer knowing that she was a SINGER, so it makes sense that she knew Jennifer would be singing her songs.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

I think the only thing that could hurt Hudson is the earlier release date. She seems to be in.

I do feel that this season will get messy with twitter, fan bases, and know-it-alls.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    syrus80
    Topics:

You have no way of knowing that. Aretha picked Jennifer knowing that she was a SINGER, so it makes sense that she knew Jennifer would be singing her songs.

And Jamie Foxx is a singer who did not sing Ray’s songs with his own voice. As a lifelong Ree fan, she was all about her stature as the Queen. How do you make a film about Aretha Franklin and not feature her biggest asset? Oh well. Missed opportunity.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

This. Aretha would’ve been proud of Hudson’s performance & the overall film.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BigJay2012
    Topics:

And Jamie Foxx is a singer who did not sing Ray’s songs with his own voice. As a lifelong Ree fan, she was all about her stature as the Queen. How do you make a film about Aretha Franklin and not feature her biggest asset? Oh well. Missed opportunity.

Jamie Foxx is known as an actor/comedian who happens to sing. Jennifer Hudson is a Grammy Award winning vocalist who’s first claim to fame was a contest on singing competition (American Idol). Its not the same thing.

Cynthia Erivo, who was also fantastic as Aretha, did her own singing as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Via The Hollywood Reporter:

“Aretha Franklin biopic Respect is also opening this weekend. The MGM and United Artists Releasing movie, starring Jennifer Hudson as the iconic singer, is doing respectable business for a title relying on older audiences who are the most reluctant to return to theaters.

Respect, likewise earning an A CinemaScore, grossed $3.6 million on Friday for a projected debut in the $9 million range.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Oleageoun
    Topics:

Pointless movie. nobody will even remember this shit after 2 years like Judy and Harriet and many other shitty biopics like that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Biopics like Respect & Judy are obviously vehicles for their leading stars. The films might be conventional but there’s no denying great performances. Certain people may not enjoy them but general audiences do.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

Just came back from seeing this. OMG. SOOOOOO GOOD. Hudson kills it as does Maron. Songs are done impecably. Costumes on point. A+ easily for me

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

Pointless movie. nobody will even remember this shit after 2 years like Judy and Harriet and many other shitty biopics like that.

Judy will be remembered for the Renee comeback out of nowhere and her second Oscar win and Harriet because it’s a damn good movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Blacktie
    Topics:

Likely contender:
    Actress
    Costumes
    Hair and Makeup
    Original Song (an opportunity to award the legendary Carole King, who’s responsible for “Natural Woman,” and another opportunity to award the well-liked Jennifer Hudson)

Possible:
    Supporting Actor (Wayans)
    Supporting Actor (Whitaker…as the Academy is known for a random past winner getting a nomination)
    Sound

And why not:
    Picture (It’s a crowd pleaser and there will be 10 nominees)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Respect could over perform in terms of nominations. As mentioned, this film is doing particularly well with older audiences. I could see it receiving 4-5 nods.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.