Home Forums Movies Respect (2021)- Jennifer Hudson

Respect (2021)- Jennifer Hudson

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Diamond Tier
Rachel615
vinny
  • Profile picture
    Vin Choi
    Topics:

Jennifer had brought great performances but her singing or talking never embodied Aretha Franklin. and this Jennifer also admitted on interview at Oprah. There’s a good example like Andra day who actually embodied Billie Holiday. I think she could do better job.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Frank2803
    Topics:

Is this better than the mini series that came out earlier this year?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Is this better than the mini series that came out earlier this year?

Yes. Hudson embodies Aretha’s spirit way more than Cynthia Erivo. Who was miscast IMO.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2021/08/21/movies-friday-box-office-free-guy-jungle-cruise-suicide-squad-green-knight/?sh=5995e89310e9

MGM’s Respect earned $1.05 million (-71%) on Friday for a likely $3.29 million (-63%) weekend and $15.26 million ten-day cume. That’s a brutal drop for a film that cost way too much ($55 million). Jennifer Hudson may still end up in the awards race, but it’s arguably finished as a theatrical play.

Sure, pandemic, but there’s no way this drop is actually fine for a film which was called “crownpleaser” and “good for old audience”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Under normal circumstances, Respect would’ve easily made back its $55 million budget. But unfortunately we are still in the middle of pandemic.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    veronikavoss
    Topics:

Those numbers are undoubtedly bad, but like I’ve said in other threads this probably would be making a lot more money if older audiences that are more familiar with Aretha were more willing to risk going to theaters in a pandemic setting.

And just surveying members of the public on social media, the performance seems widely loved with many people even being quite defensive of Hudson and her chances. And if Bruised as a film is too little too late (which it looks like to me), I think it will be understood that Hudson would be the most likely chance for a nominee of color in that category. None of which secures her a spot, to be sure, but I’ll still keep her in my tentative fifth place spot for work in meh biopics just ahead of the likes of Chastain, Gaga, Kidman, etc.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Alberto Pena
    Topics:

Was it always the plan for RESPECT to be released on demand on Friday, August 27 – just two weeks after its theatrical release? I was shocked to see it on VOD so quickly.

I was under the impression that the theatrical-to-VOD window was reduced from the standard 90 days pre-COVID to 45 days. But 14 days for a movie this high profile was a surprise.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

Was it always the plan for RESPECT to be released on demand on Friday, August 27 – just two weeks after its theatrical release? I was shocked to see it on VOD so quickly.

I was under the impression that the theatrical-to-VOD window was reduced from the standard 90 days pre-COVID to 45 days. But 14 days for a movie this high profile was a surprise.

News: The film flopped at box office. That’s why the early VOD release.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    tempsur
    Topics:

One day Audra McDonald will definitely win that Oscar. It’s sad to think that the woman who played Billie Holliday so impeccably is now deemed too old to play people like Billie/Aretha in biopics because whenever she does...

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.