Home Forums Movies SAG Awards 2019 Film Nominees Reactions

SAG Awards 2019 Film Nominees Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 471 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
( +13 hidden )
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
Seven
PJ Edwards
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I have seen all of the nominees.

My order of preference for Ensemble is:
    1. Crazy Rich Asians
    2. BlacKKKlansman
    3. A Star Is Born
    4. Black Panther
    5. Bohemian Rhapsody

For Supporting Actress:
    1. Margot Robbie
    2. Emma Stone
    3. Rachel Weisz
    4. Emily Blunt
    5. Amy Adams

For Supporting Actor:
    1. Timothee Chalamet
    2. Mahersala Ali
    3. Richard E Grant
    4. Adam Driver
    5. Sam Elliott

For Actress:
    1. Olivia Colman
    2. Melissa McCarthy
    3. Emily Blunt
    4. Glenn Close
    5. Lady Gaga

For Actor:
    1. Rami Malek
    2. Viggo Mortensen
    3. Bradley Cooper
    4. John David Washington
    5. Christian Bale

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I doubt Black Panther or Crazy Rich Asians wins simply because they have no acting nominees – has a film ever won SAG without at least one acting nomination? I will have to check and see.

As for Bohemian Rhapsody, which has one acting nomination, it’s basically a one man show – everybody is fine, but not exceptional.

So that leaves BlacKkKlansman and A Star is Born. The former has 2 acting nominations and the latter has 3. It can go either way but I am predicting BlacKkKlansman because I have noticed that films with interracial casts have been winning often lately – it checks off all the boxes. But it certainly could go to ASIB, for me it’s between those two.

I now think Close, Malek, and Ali will win (although Colman has a strong chance at Best Actress). I’m not sure about Supporting Actress – while it certainly could go to Amy Adams, I’m not convinced we won’t get a surprise. I’m thinking double nominee Emily Blunt may pull off an upset. Unfortunately for Stone and Weisz I really do think they will cancel each other out. I love Margot Robbie but I don’t see that happening sadly. So I think it’s Adams vs. Blunt. it could go either way but I am now predicting Blunt.

ReplyCopy URL
    TVFan365
    Participant
    Topics:

I doubt Black Panther or Crazy Rich Asians wins simply because they have no acting nominees – has a film ever won SAG without at least one acting nomination? I will have to check and see.

The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and The Full Monty

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

^thank you for the information (:

I still think it’s unlikely for either BP or CRA to win, but I would love and am rooting for CRA to win.

I think it’s BlacKkKlansman vs. A Star is Born. Both have something unusual, though, ASIB has only 1 actress and B has only 2 (am I right about this? Just the klan wife and the girlfriend activist played by Laura Harrier?) in their casts. Usually mixed race and mixed gender are keys to winning, at least the past several years.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

SAG is the most important percursor for the acting races. I feel very confident in 3 of the acting categories: Rami Malek for Best Actor, Glenn Close for Best Actress, and Mahersala Ali for Supporting Actor – Supporting Actress could go to any of the five.

For those of you who are rooting for Amy Adams: can you point to any big Oscar moment in her performance? She gave a ‘stand by your man’ small nothing performance in which she played a right-wing zealot, she has no emotional scenes and no story arc, so why would she win SAG or the Oscar?

I think there are strong cases to be made for Emily Blunt and Margot Robbie. Blunt is in the better liked film that has been seen by more people and she is a double nominee this year – she has also had a terrific year and they clearly like her considering she was nominated for her great performance in The Girl on the Train, which I don’t recall having hit any of the other precursors a few years ago. Robbie is terrific, though, and would be a worthy winner.

Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz have the same problem: the other actress from their same film.

the strongest case is for Blunt imo.

As for Ensemble, I just don’t know what they will do. A Star is Born has 3 acting nominations, but it only has one female cast member. Black Panther has a formidable cast, but no acting nominations. The same for Crazy Rich Asians, but it has historicity on its side. Bohemian Rhapsody is a one-man show. BlacKkKlansman doesn’t have all of its actors nominated for the award and only one significant female character. I am truly baffled by this category.

ReplyCopy URL
    O´Hara
    Participant
    Topics:

There´s no need to see Amy`s performance to predict she´s winning.Only three of the nominees made it in all the precursors and two of them will probably split votes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Turd Ferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

My preferences:
    Emsemble: BlacKkKlansman (sub: Black Panther)
    Actor: Viggo Mortensen (sub: John David Washington)
    Actress: Emily Blunt (sub: Lady Gaga)
    Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali (sub: Adam Driver)
    Supporting Actress: Emily Blunt (sub: Rachel Weisz)

Big fan of Better Call Saul, Sex Education, Barry, BoJack Horseman, and, especially, Survivor

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

the strongest case is for Blunt imo.

Wait, what?

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I am hoping the voters have actually seen the performances. Adams getting in all of the precursors doesn’t necessarily mean she will win. I hope they take responsibility and vote for the performance and not just because of some ‘overdue narrative’. The other four nominees give great performances and deserve to win – all of them deserve it. I am saying that IN MY OPINION the strongest case is for Emily Blunt, due to a great performance combined with a great year (being a double nominee), and not having a co-star also nominated in the same category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Matthew anzalone
    Participant
    Topics:

My predictions so far

Best supporting actor: Sam elliott

Best supporting actress: Amy adams

Best actor: Rami malek

Best actress: Glenn close

Best cast in a motion picture:Crazy rich asians

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I want Crazy Rich Asians to win for Ensemble, Olivia Colman for Actress, Rami Malek for Actor, Margot Robbie for Supporting Actress, and Timothee Chalamet for Supporting Actor – I am predicting BlacKkKlansman, Glenn Close, Rami Malek, Emily Blunt and Mahersala Ali.

ReplyCopy URL
    DrewN92
    Participant
    Topics:

For those of you who are rooting for Amy Adams: can you point to any big Oscar moment in her performance? She gave a ‘stand by your man’ small nothing performance in which she played a right-wing zealot, she has no emotional scenes and no story arc, so why would she win SAG or the Oscar?

As you say all the time, we are all entitled to our own opinion. For example when watching Beale Street I kept waiting for King’s “big Oscar moment” as you say, other than her subtle but powerful moments that we have seen multiple times in all of the trailers. For me that moment never came. She was solid but Oscar worthy? Nope not in my opinion.

You were biased to hate Vice and Adams’ performance before you even saw the movie so these constant comments and dragging is exhausting.

Also she gave a “stand by your man” performance because she was the brains behind his rise to power- did you even watch the movie? She was in the drivers seat and she was power hungry and she needed him because she was a woman at that time and couldn’t do it herself.

And yes- Adams plays a right-wing monster- but why should that even matter? We are judging her performance not who she played. And to ME, she impressed me more than King. The opening scene with Bale, the Shakespeare scene, her facial expressions when she isn’t even the focal point of a conversation, her aged walk, her teary eyed fierce gaze when her daughter comes out, her ability to bring a small glimmer of humanity from a monster character- it was a dramatic but subtle, transformative, supporting performance.

And for the record, I think King is a wonderfully talented actress who gave a great performance with the material she was given, but I was personally underwhelmed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Maria
    Participant
    Topics:

Any chance that since Amy Adams is nominated for Sharp Objects that she will win there instead of Supporting?

I know Patricia Arquette is in her category again, but maybe this would make up for Amy getting snubbed at GG and a way that they can still award her but Supporting goes to someone else.

I don’t see her winning two SAG awards in one night, so if she does win for Supporting, then Patricia or someone else win for TV (which Emma Stone is also nominated in).

unlike with the Globes I do think she will go home with an award.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Maria.
    ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

^I hope you are right and they give Amy Adams the award for Sharp Objects and someone else – anyone else – the award for Best Supporting Actress.

ReplyCopy URL
    Maria
    Participant
    Topics:

I just love Sharp Objects so much and feel like Amy should be getting the attention that Nicole did last year (which I think was definitely deserved) such great roles they have had thanks to Jean Marc Vallee.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 471 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.