Home Forums Movies SAG Awards 2019 Film Nominees Reactions

SAG Awards 2019 Film Nominees Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 425 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
20 hours ago
( +10 hidden )
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
Seven
PJ Edwards
  • Maria
    Participant
    Topics:

I just love Sharp Objects so much and feel like Amy should be getting the attention that Nicole did last year (which I think was definitely deserved) such great roles they have had thanks to Jean Marc Vallee.

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

Adams will probably split votes with Patricia Clarkson. Not that many, but enough with Patricia Arquette as such stiff competition.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I do not think that Escape at Dannemora was widely seen enough for Patricia Arquette to win, nor do I think that anyone who saw Sharp Objects would vote for Patricia Clarkson over Amy Adams.

"I don't even believe in god, but I'm going to thank her tonight."

ReplyCopy URL
    DrewN92
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the problem with double nominations is that people who vote for them in one category probably aren’t likely to vote for them again in the other category, which I am sure results in vote splitting. I know there are a few people who have won 2 golden globes etc in one night, but I am sure those are more outliers than being common. Also, with Clarkson winning the GG for supporting I am nervous she will also split votes with Adams, who really did give a phenomenal performance in Sharp Objects and deserves recognition for it.

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t see Amy losing the SAG for Sharp Objects. Hope I’m right.

ReplyCopy URL
    Vuitton
    Participant
    Topics:

Amy Adams was sensational in Sharp Objects and really deserves to be recognized for it. Such natural and nuance acting. Patricia Clarkson was great but Amy Adams was on another level and with a harder role to boot. While Patricia Arquette physically transformed, Amy Adams was just magical internally.

ReplyCopy URL
    nahborghi
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Adams has three great scenes: the one right at the beginning where she calls out Dick for being a drunk and weak man, the one where her daughter comes out (small and subtle, but she was great in it), and the bed talk.

But idk, the character is unlikeable and doesn’t have its own narrative beyond the ‘you do it cause i can’t’. It’s not strong enough, in my opinion. But she sure is overdue.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I would be interested to know what people are predicting for Ensemble and most importantly why they are predicting it? I have little confidence in my prediction, BlacKkKlansman, and am predicting it based on the past few years going to mixed race casts but they are usually also mixed gender and that’s where the movie doesn’t fit the criteria.

I keep thinking A Star is Born is going to win but it doesn’t have that great an ensemble and is essentially a two-hander. However, it has 3 acting nominations. This seems the most logical choice but I can’t quite bring myself to predict it…

Black Panther has a great cast, mixed gender but not mixed race, but it’s achilles heel is that it has no acting nominations in individual categories.

Bohemian Rhapsody – I love the movie and everyone is competent but this for me is a one-man show.

Crazy Rich Asians is the one I would vote for but it has the same problem as Black Panther – no individual acting nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lexa
    Participant
    Topics:

I would be interested to know what people are predicting for Ensemble and most importantly why they are predicting it? I have little confidence in my prediction, BlacKkKlansman, and am predicting it based on the past few years going to mixed race casts but they are usually also mixed gender and that’s where the movie doesn’t fit the criteria. I keep thinking A Star is Born is going to win but it doesn’t have that great an ensemble and is essentially a two-hander. However, it has 3 acting nominations. This seems the most logical choice but I can’t quite bring myself to predict it… Black Panther has a great cast, mixed gender but not mixed race, but it’s achilles heel is that it has no acting nominations in individual categories. Bohemian Rhapsody – I love the movie and everyone is competent but this for me is a one-man show. Crazy Rich Asians is the one I would vote for but it has the same problem as Black Panther – no individual acting nominations.

I wouldn’t be surprised if BR won because I’ve heard SAG members love it. I’m predicting Black Panther because almost everyone else is doing it but I’m not convinced since it’s taking Stunt.  Blackkklansman is definitely the one I would vote for. Anyway I think it’s between these three.

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

I would be interested to know what people are predicting for Ensemble and most importantly why they are predicting it? I have little confidence in my prediction, BlacKkKlansman, and am predicting it based on the past few years going to mixed race casts but they are usually also mixed gender and that’s where the movie doesn’t fit the criteria. I keep thinking A Star is Born is going to win but it doesn’t have that great an ensemble and is essentially a two-hander. However, it has 3 acting nominations. This seems the most logical choice but I can’t quite bring myself to predict it… Black Panther has a great cast, mixed gender but not mixed race, but it’s achilles heel is that it has no acting nominations in individual categories. Bohemian Rhapsody – I love the movie and everyone is competent but this for me is a one-man show. Crazy Rich Asians is the one I would vote for but it has the same problem as Black Panther – no individual acting nominations.

I think any one of the five casts could win this, I could barely rank them. I have Black Panther winning because this is a movie that has been celebrated for the last 10 months, and SAG is one of those groups that awards those type of movies and shows. Hidden Figures, Stranger Things, This Is Us are a few examples. Plus, Black Panther has movie actors and Tv stars, which has helped casts like Three Billboards win in the past, and everyone’s seen this movie; they don’t have to pull out a screener to watch this one.

That said, after BR’s surge, I wouldn’t be surprised if it won. I had ASIB in #1 for a while but I don’t see that happening anymore. SAG really isn’t that kind to smaller casts, and I get that.

I don’t think Klansman can win, though I don’t have a specific reason to back that up. My personal fav and choice would be Crazy Rich Asians, which does have a shot at winning IMO! It’s been winning some Ensemble prizes here and there. Again, it’s an uplifting, feel-good movie that has been celebrated.

FYC Oscars 2019: Viola Davis (Widows) - Best Actress

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

^I sure would love it if Crazy Rich Asians were to win! (:

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

Seems to me like this is the one top award of any televised show that Black Panther will win.

These people have done MANY stupid things in the past, but I don’t think Bohemian Rhapsody can win this.

One of these days Black Panther will have to win something and this seems like the most logical choice. Unless they win PGA (which is possible too).

A Star is Born won’t win this, Blackkklansman seems like it could get its thunder stolen by Black Panther, and for them to reward CRA for reasons we know, they should and will just go with BP if they need to go there. It’s the better and more important of the two films.

Actress: Close
    Actor: Cooper or Malek (I guess Cooper)
    Sup Actor: Ali
    Sup Actress: Adams or Blunt (I suppose Adams)

ReplyCopy URL
    Kubrick
    Participant
    Topics:

My SAG ballot looked like this:

Male Actor in a Leading Role: Bradley Cooper

Female Actor in a Leading Role: Lady Gaga

Male Actor in a Supporting Role: Timothee Chalamet*

Female Actor in a Supporting Role: Rachel Weisz**

Outstanding Cast, Motion Picture: Crazy Rich Asians***

*Honestly almost didn’t even vote here. I don’t care much for any of them, especially Green Book, regardless of the performances.

**Didn’t vote for Adams because I voted for her performance in Sharp Objects. That, and I genuinely thought Weisz stole the show.

***I have never bought into the idea that this is the BP equivalent at SAG. It was easily between CRA and Black Panther. CRA was my favorite cast after The Favourite, which of course was left off the list.

ReplyCopy URL
    SHT L
    Participant
    Topics:

The problem I have with CRA’s nomination is that some of the best actors in that movie won’t be rewarded because of SAG limitations and rules.

ReplyCopy URL
    moviefan61794
    Participant
    Topics:

I am still predicting “A Star Is Born,” but that may ultimately change in the next week and a half. I can make a strong case for “Black Panther” and “BlacKkKlansman,” though I posed a question on another thread on if the SAG ballot lists the nominated actors because that could potentially play a role here. The nominated ensembles for “ASIB” and “Klansman” are smaller than something like “Black Panther,” which has a huge cast filled with big names. If those actors names are included on the ballot, that alone could clinch some votes for “Panther.” The only ensembles of the 2000s to win with seven or less nominated cast members were “Sideways,” “Little Miss Sunshine,” “No Country for Old Men,” and “Birdman.” There’s not really a through line for those four films that gives us a pattern, but it is worth noting that “Klansman” and “ASIB” have six seven nominated actors, respectively. Two of the “Klansman” actors appear in only one scene each. Does that make an impact? It leads me to believe “Black Panther” can swoop in and take this. It has the passion and a large community supporting the film, it has the star power and the largest nominated ensemble, and it is the one place (other than PGA) that it can win a major guild award.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 425 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.