Home Forums Movies SAG Awards 2021 Film Predictions (Make Your Picks Today)

SAG Awards 2021 Film Predictions (Make Your Picks Today)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 140 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
estrelas
  • Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Da 5 Bloods The Prom is absolutely not getting in over Mank or Promising Young Woman.

FYC:

Lead Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)

Supporting Actress: Maria Bakalova (Borat Subsequent Moviefilm)

Supporting Actor: Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

-----------------------------

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Da 5 Bloods is absolutely not getting in over Mank or Promising Young Woman.

Well the thing with Da 5 Bloods is that it seems like the type of film that SAG will eat up. It’s fairly conventional. I’d argue the acting in <i>Mank </i>is very baity (it’s my favourite out of all the ensembles this season) but the film doesn’t seem to be one I can imagine sitting well with SAG (we don’t call them basic for nothing) so I expect they only nominate Seyfried and call it a day.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

Da 5 Bloods The Prom is absolutely not getting in over Mank or Promising Young Woman.

The Prom is definitely ahead of Promising Young Woman. SAG favorites Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman (Ryan Murphy) less likely than the likes of Alison Brie? All right.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

less likely than the likes of Alison Brie?

Alison Brie is also a SAG favourite though. She got double nominated for GLOW even though she got snubbed at the Emmys. She obviously is not as much of a favourite as Streep or Kidman but the recognition and familiarity the cast has with SAG shouldn’t be ignored just because Kidman and Streep are in a film together.

I am predicting both to get in btw. But it’s not implausible for Promising Young Woman to be ahead of The Prom in ensemble.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Well the thing with Da 5 Bloods is that it seems like the type of film that SAG will eat up. It’s fairly conventional. I’d argue the acting in <i>Mank </i>is very baity (it’s my favourite out of all the ensembles this season) but the film doesn’t seem to be one I can imagine sitting well with SAG (we don’t call them basic for nothing) so I expect they only nominate Seyfried and call it a day.

While I also think that D5B doesn’t have a chance anywhere outside the Globes, I was just writing nonsense here because it’s quite late. I was meaning to say The Prom and not D5B in this case.

The Prom is definitely ahead of Promising Young Woman. SAG favorites Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman (Ryan Murphy) less likely than the likes of Alison Brie? All right.

If they were in a movie anyone remembered one week after its release that could apply. But they are not. The Prom would be lucky to get a single nomination for Meryl Streep. If PYW performs as expected, it will get in just like something like Get Out got in over a movie with SAG favorites Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks.

FYC:

Lead Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)

Supporting Actress: Maria Bakalova (Borat Subsequent Moviefilm)

Supporting Actor: Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

-----------------------------

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Actor 

1. Chadwick Boseman – Locked and loaded.

2. Anthony Hopkins – Showy performance and career best performance from one of the most iconic actors in cinema.

———————————————————————————————

3. Delroy Lindo – Buzzy veteran with a showy performance in a Netflix film and potential SAG ensemble nominee. He’s not as safe as Boseman or Hopkins but if he gets in at any awards show this is the first one.

4. Kingsley Ben-Adir – I don’t think he’ll get in at the Globes or BAFTA (I wouldn’t rule him out from surprising at the Oscars for a nom even though I am sceptical about his film’s BP chances) and his buzz is quite minimal but something I noticed here is that since 2003 there has been an actor nominated every year in this category for playing a real life figure. He could get nominated just for playing Malcolm X.

5. Riz Ahmed – I think the film apparently having lots of naturalistic elements are going to hurt him a bit here but similar to (but not to the same extent as) McDormand I think he is just so well respected that I feel confident about him here. Regardless he’s happening at the Globes, BAFTA and Oscars.

6. Gary Oldman – Again someone playing a real person but if they snubbed DeNiro last year and I think he’ll have a similar trajectory to DeNiro then I don’t think he’ll get in. He has a better shot than DeNiro though because of him playing a areal person but unlike Ben-Adir he’s not playing an iconic figure.

7. John David Washington – We saw how he got in for BlacKKKlansman along with his buzzier co-star so it’s possible he does the same here. Help he’s a part of a Hollywood dynasty.

8. Steven Yeun – He has the buzz and he may be someone who has some sort of respect with his peers but his performance is still in a non English language and even though <i>Parasite </i>won ensemble it’s been quite rare for these types of performances to get nominated individually here.

9. Sacha Baron Cohen – SAG loves to double nominate and loves to nominate the Comedy Globe winner so if he wins the Globe he has a good chance here. They also love to be generous to the co-stars of win buzz performances too so they could very well throw him a nom because of Bakalova (like how Tremblay coattailled to Larson or how Kidman coattailed to Theron and Robbie).

10. Lakeith Stanfield – Could coattail to Kaluuya like Baron Cohen to Bakalova.

11. Jim Parsons – Apparently SAG are pushing this one hard here (and nowhere else) and considering how much SAG held on to Parsons for Big Bang we could see people like himself (and on the TV side), Kaley Cuoco and Uzo Aduba end up like Jennifer Aniston where because of how popular their comedies were get in for every buzzy prestige performance they have.

12. Ben Affleck – I don’t like Affleck at all but his performance seems to be very popular and showy and is the exact type of populist mediocrity SAG sometimes likes to shower.

13. Madds Mikkelsen – I think he’ll have a better chance if he wins the Globe but like Youn I am concerned about SAG’s record with performances not in English.

14. Dev Patel – I can see a strange universe where because of 2020 that SAG nominating committee members go crazy and just vote for a heartwarming fun period comedy and its lead.

15. Pete Davidson – Again a performance I can see being showered with love because of the 2020 of it all but something feels off considering him. Perhaps it’s my personal distaste towards Davidson and shiver that would result of a nom for him.

Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

Nope. It sure isn’t..

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

dont worry about these stans. The Prom screams as the ensemble nom that doesnt get BP at SAG. Not sure how anyone can argue PYW for SAG with so many 1 minute parts and empty cartoon caricatures and the divisiveness of it. The Prom is the basic feel good crap SAG eats up.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Why are people still confident about The Prom? I know it has a stellar cast but that didn’t stop them before. Also, the movie didn’t land with neither critics nor audiences (the way it was supposed to) and there’s far stronger movies in the mix.

Profile picture
    S.N.
    Topics:

Neither The Prom or Promising Young Woman are getting Ensemble noms. The Prom is no Crazy Rich Asians and PYW just doesn’t have a memorable ensemble performance. Carey is great but there’s nothing special about the supporting performances and all of them are one-dimensional characters (not necessarily a bad thing) except for Bo Burnham maybe.

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Ensemble:
    Da 5 Bloods
    Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Mank
    One Night in Miami
    The Trial of the Chicago 7

Actor:
    Riz Ahmed, Sound of Metal
    Chadwick Boseman, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Anthony Hopkins, The Father
    Delroy Lindo, Da 5 Bloods
    Gary Oldman, Mank

Actress:
    Viola Davis, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Vanessa Kirby, Pieces of a Woman
    Frances McDormand, Nomadland
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman
    Zendaya, Malcolm & Marie

Supporting Actor:
    Chadwick Boseman, Da 5 Bloods
    Sacha Baron Cohen, The Trial of the Chicago 7
    Daniel Kaluuya, Judas & the Black Messiah
    Leslie Odom Jr., One Night in Miami
    Paul Raci, Sound of Metal

Supporting Actress:
    Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
    Ellen Burstyn, Pieces of a Woman
    Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy
    Olivia Colman, The Father
    Amanda Seyfried, Mank

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    S.N.
    Topics:

I realized that almost every year there’s one movie with 4 or 5 nominations at SAG, specially in the last decade:

2019: Bombshell
    2018: A Star is Born
    2017: Three Billboards
    2016: Manchester by the Sea
    2015: –
    2014: Birdman
    2013: 12 Years a Slave
    2012: Silver Linings Playbook
    2011: The Help
    2010: The King’s Speech
    2009: –
    2008: Doubt
    2007: –
    2006: –
    2005: Brokeback Mountain
    2004: Sideways
    2003: –
    2002: Chicago
    2001: –
    2000: –
    1999: American Beauty
    1998: Shakespeare in Love
    1997: Good Will Hunting
    1996: The English Patient
    1995: –

What could be this movie this year? I’m thinking it could be Ma Rainey, so this case Glynn Turman would’ve to be nominated (that doesn’t mean the Academy will nominate him, though). It could also be Judas or ONIM, but I don’t know the former will have the visibility and the later will have the passion.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I realized that almost every year there’s one movie with 4 or 5 nominations at SAG, specially in the last decade:

I think it will be one of <i>Ma Rainey </i>or One Night in Miami. Although I think most likely the former because it has more passion I can see a situation where <i>One Night in Miami </i>has a similar awards trajectory to Bombshell (even though it doesn’t deserve that trajectory because it’s a much better film). The actors may be nobody’s in comparison to the Bombshell ladies but just like Bombshell they give loud performances as real life figures with theatrical dialogue (like the Bombshell ladies) and we know how much SAG likes that.

I can see a situation where Ben-Adir and Odom-Jr. get nominated everywhere (apart from BAFTA) whilst One Night in Miami misses almost everything (sans Screenplay and Song) and then go onto dragging in Aldis Hodge and an ensemble nomination here.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

I can see a situation where Ben-Adir and Odom-Jr. get nominated everywhere (apart from BAFTA) whilst One Night in Miami misses almost everything (sans Screenplay and Song) and then go onto dragging in Aldis Hodge and an ensemble nomination here.

Imagine being Eli Goree, part of a 4 member cast and your three co-stars all get individual nominations.

At least Sandra Oh (Sideways) would have some company.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Ma Rainey SAG FYC

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 140 total)

The topic ‘SAG Awards 2021 Film Predictions (Make Your Picks Today)’ is closed to new replies.