Home Forums Movies SAG Awards 2022 Film Predictions

SAG Awards 2022 Film Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 501 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Joe Langer
FreemanGriffin
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

Who do we think are the biggest contenders to win ensemble? Right now I think Don’t Look Up, Nightmare Alley, King Richard make the most sense. Maybe the PTA if it’s accessible…

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I think Nightmare Alley could miss here since it may be too dark for SAG. The Shape of Water is not a very populist film so I assume that’s why the film messed ensemble here. I feel like Belfast is the dark horse here and could win like Little Miss Sunshine if it’s that crowdpleasing. I’m going to predict King Richard will take it though.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Nicole Kidman will make it here definitely…

I can see Colman missing if her performance is too subtle and the film turns out to not be popular among the masses. Marlee Matlin can Holly Hunter her way to a SAG nomination. Also I see The French Dispatchin missing like Knives Out. Peter Dinklage could make it in here too honestly.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Nicole Kidman will make it here definitely…

I can see Colman missing if her performance is too subtle and the film turns out to not be popular among the masses. Marlee Matlin can Holly Hunter her way to a SAG nomination. Also I see The French Dispatchin missing like Knives Out. Peter Dinklage could make it in here too honestly.

Colman could miss but they LOVE Netflix and the only time she’s ever missed a nomination here since her Oscar win was for Fleabag (which was an understandable miss considering she wasn’t the supporting actress favourite of the show, she didn’t win the Emmy over Alex Borstein, SAG nominations for supporting performances tend to be quite scarce and there was tough competition). Her work in The Father was pretty restrained and she still got in so I think she can with The Lost Daughter as well.

Kidman is in unless that film is panned (but even then it’s not like Grace of Monaco was a critically raved masterpiece 💀💀💀).

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    James Breheney
    Topics:

I see the lost daughter as this years I’m thinking of ending things, the stans are gonna hype it but in reality it will probably get nothing

I think it has a much better chance at Oscar noms than I’m Thinking of Ending Things ever had. That film was way more inaccessible and off-putting, especially to Academy voters. Also, this is an acclaimed directorial debut from a well-known actress so it’s bound to draw attention just because of that ( Most Academy voters probably didn’t even watch ‘Ending Things). Add in Colman who’s an academy favorite and it has a decent chance of showing up in above-the-line categories.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Unless it’s a complete dud, i say that Don’t Look Up has big chances of winning SAG.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Current predictions for Best Ensemble Cast in a Motion Picture:

Belfast
    House of Gucci
    Nightmare Alley
    The Power of the Dog
    West Side Story

A few other possibilities: Don’t Look Up, Licorice Pizza, Mass, The Humans, The French Dispatch, and I am going to throw Respect in there – it would be like the Trumbo nomination a few years ago.

Best Actress:

Catriona Balfe, Belfast
    Olivia Colman, The Lost Daughter
    Lady Gaga, House of Gucci
    Jennifer Hudson, Respect
    Kristen Stewart, Spencer

Some other possibilities: Jessica Chastain for The Eyes of Tammy Faye; Penelope Cruz for Parallel Mothers (but boy do they not like to nominate foreign language performances), and Frances McDormand for The Tragedy of Macbeth. Every once in awhile there is an out of nowhere nominee in this category – like Helen Mirren for Hitch – but I don’t think it will happen this year.

Best Actor:

Bradley Cooper, Nightmare Alley
    Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
    Leonardo DiCaprio, Don’t Look Up
    Jamie Dornan, Belfast
    Will Smith, King Richard

Other possibilities: Peter Dinklage for Cyrano; Adam Driver for House of Gucci; Denzel Washington for The Tragedy of Macbeth – and perhaps Jude Hill for Belfast.

Best Supporting Actress:

Judi Dench, Belfast
    Ann Dowd, Mass
    Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog
    Marlee Matlin, CODA
    Meryl Streep, Don’t Look Up

Other possibilities: Olga Merediz for In the Heights; Arana DeBose for West Side Story; Cate Blanchett, Toni Collette and Rooney Mara for Nightmare Alley; Jayne Houdyshell for The Humans; and Audra McDonald for Respect

Best Supporting Actor:

Jude Hill, Belfast
    Ciaran Hinds, Belfast
    Lared Leto, House of Gucci
    Jesse Plemons, The Power of the Dog
    Kodi Smit-McPhee, The Power of the Dog

Other possiblities: Richard Jenkins for The Humans; Jason Isaacs for Mass; Jeremy Irons and Al Pacino for House of Gucci; and Forest Whitaker for Respect – if Jude Hill is considered lead I would think Richard Jenkins would take his spot.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Ensemble
    ***Belfast
    Don’t Look Up
    Dune
    Nightmare Alley
    The Power of the Dog
    (King Richard)

Actress
    Halle Berry, Bruised
    Nicole Kidman, Being the Ricardos
    ***Kristen Stewart, Spencer
    (Jodie Comer, The Last Duel)

Actor
    Andrew Garfield, Tick Tick Boom
    ***Will Smith, King Richard
    Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    (Jude Hill, Belfast)

Supporting Actress
    Caitríona Balfe, Belfast
    ***Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog
    Aunjanue Ellis, King Richard
    Rebecca Ferguson, Dune
    Frances McDormand, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    (Meryl Streep, Don’t Look Up)

Supporting Actor
    Ben Affleck, The Last Duel
    ***Bradley Cooper, Licorice Pizza
    Jamie Dornan, Belfast
    Ciarán Hinds, Belfast
    (Jon Bernthal, King Richard)

FYC: The Bear (Ayo Edebiri) Industry (Marisa Abela) OMITB (Jayne Houdyshell) Physical (Rose Byrne) WWDITS (Natasia Demetriou)

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Current prediction for Best Ensemble Cast:

Belfast
    House of Gucci
    Mass
    Nightmare Alley
    The Power of the Dog

Best Actress:

Jessica Chastain, The Eyes of Tammy Faye
    Jennifer Hudson, Respect
    Kristen Stewart, Spencer

Best Actor:

Joaquin Phoenix, C’mon C’mon
    Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    Will Smith, King Richard

Best Supporting Actress:

Catriona Balfe, Belfast
    Judi Dench, Belfast
    Ann Dowd, Mass
    Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog
    Martha Plimpton, Mass

Best Supporting Actor:

Jamie Dornan, Belfast
    Ciarin Hinds, Belfast
    Jason Isaacs, Mass
    Jared Leto, House of Gucci

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Best Ensemble

Don’t Look Up
    The Harder They Fall
    King Richard
    Belfast
    The Power of the Dog

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

Ensemble:

Don’t Look Up
    King Richard
    Belfast
    Nightmare Alley
    The Power of the Dog

West Side Story
    Licorice Pizza
    House of Gucci
    Dune
    CODA

The Harder They Fall
    The Tragedy of Macbeth
    The Lost Daughter
    In the Heights
    The French Dispatch

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: EEAAO, Severance, Bad Sisters, Avatar: The Way of Water

Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Here is our new slugfest about SAG Awards film predictions:

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2021/sag-awards-film-predictions-belfast-the-power-of-the-dog/

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I have to say although the best actress race is looking competitive AF at the Oscars and BAFTAs when it comes to the nomination (and anxiety inducing because of how unpredictable it is), it’s starting to look less worrisome to predict here.

Stewart is the Oscar frontrunner, is playing Princess Diana and is Kristen Stewart. These people have nominated Nicole Kidman more times than some people in this race have been in films so there really is no reason for her to miss for playing Lucille Ball. Especially if she’s a top contender to win the Oscar. Throw in a Netflix actress because they love Netflix so much (probably Colman). Then you’ve got Gaga who is the exact type of performer SAG like to throw in here with the exact type of role they like to nominate in a film that could be a box office hit so she really should be able to get in even if she misses at the Oscars. It really feels like there’s a clear-ish top 4.

There does however feel like a bloodbath for the 5th slot. Hudson and Chastain both are in biopics which we know SAG loves although it would be weird if both of them got in. Frances McDormand is a 3 time Academy Award winning veteran and Lady Macbeth is a meaty part but it’s also a supporting one and it’s unclear whether the film is something up SAG’s alley. Jodie Comer gives a performance that stands out and SAG have nominated her before so it wouldn’t surprise me if she showed up like Helena Zengel did last year for News of the World and miss at the Oscars but it also wouldn’t surprise me if she goes the Claire Foy for First Man route where the BAFTAs and Globes single her out but SAG and the Oscars don’t. Haim and Lawrence feel like dark horses here because both of their films could really EXPLODE with SAG.

I’m sceptical about Penelope here (even though I’m quite high on here in my Oscar predictions). Since SAG’s merger with AFTRA they’ve not really gone for performances not in the English language unless they’re win competitive for the Oscar or are in “crowd-pleasing” films and I don’t think Penelope has either going for her. Would love to see Tessa Thompson make it in but I’m not sure SAG is cool enough to touch Passing.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Penelope Cruz has never missed SAG for any of her Oscar or Emmy nominated perfomances.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Penelope Cruz has never missed SAG for any of her Oscar or Emmy nominated perfomances.

True. But they also were in different circumstances than the one she’s facing for Parallel Mothers.

Her nomination for Volver was before the SAG voting body merged with the AFTRA and became open to people who technically aren’t actors (TikTokers, social media influencers, DJs, weatherpeople). She won the Oscar for her Vicky Cristina Barcelona performance and that was a Woody Allen film that was also an English language romantic comedy. Nine was nominated for SAG ensemble and was a musical. The Assassination of Gianni Versace was a popular true crime drama that swept the awards season, she was playing the incredibly baity role of Donatella Versace and once again it was a project in the English language.

Of course she could make it in here for Parallel Mothers but she’s got pretty much none of the things she had going for her with each of her prior SAG nominations this time round. Which is why I’m sceptical.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘SAG Awards 2022 Film Predictions’ is closed to new replies.