Home Forums Movies Screen Actors Guild 2018 Movie Thread

Screen Actors Guild 2018 Movie Thread

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
replies
views
users
Marcus Snowde..
unown
kbfr12
  • Guest2014
    Participant
    Topics:

Sunday, January 21, 8PM, TNT and TBS
    Host: Kristen Bell

Presenters So Far:
    Emma Stone
    Halle Berry
    Lupita Nyong’o
    Dakota Fanning
    Kelly Marie Tran
    Mary J. Blige
    Holly Hunter
    Zoe Kazan
    Frances McDormand
    Laurie Metcalf
    Saoirse Ronan
    Allison Williams

According to E! (http://www.eonline.com/news/905827/sag-awards-2018-presenters-include-emma-stone-halle-berry-and-more-actresses) Jason Clarke, Woody Harrelson, Daniel Kaluuya, Kumail Nanjiani, Sam Rockwell and Ray Romano will also be involved in some way.

aksod
    Participant
    Topics:

It is coming. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is going to win the SAG ensemble and then go on to win the Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

@alsod I’m slightly confident about Three Billboards’ chances on Sunday, but it’s plausible that Get Out can pull off an upset in Best Ensemble.

ReplyCopy URL
    unown
    Participant
    Topics:

Got bored so decided to check online about the screeners sent to the voters. And lord NEON is really selling Janney. I mean janney has this huge postcard thing with the dvd.

AND Jeez sony cant even send a postcard or make a nice package for CMBYM. They just sent the movie in a cheap asf paper sleeve. They aren’t even trying. There goes Chalamet’s chances of getting the SAG. Compared to Darkest hour it looks bad.

I mean perception and first impressions are important. If i got that as a screener id be like they cant even be bothered why should i vote for them. sure they got totally shut out at SAG except for actor. But cant they at least try.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by  unown.
    • This reply was modified 10 months ago by  unown.
    ReplyCopy URL
    kbfr12
    Participant
    Topics:

AND Jeez sony cant even send a postcard or make a nice package for CMBYM. They just sent the movie in a cheap asf paper sleeve. They aren’t even trying.

I think every SPC screener is sent the same way. No artwork, no packaging, just the disc in a plain sleeve, seemingly designed to get lost in a pile. I’m a Film Independent member (so an Indie Spirit voter), and I was mildly surprised they even bothered with us at all (they actually sent a nice HD streaming link).

Sony is the only major awards player whose FYC campaigns seem to be funded by Staples gift cards.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

I just hope something happens to make things interesting somewhere. If the same people win again plus 3 billboards taking ensemble then I think we can call the acting and BP races locked up. Hopefully it won’t be so boring.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

Got bored so decided to check online about the screeners sent to the voters. And lord NEON is really selling Janney. I mean janney has this huge postcard thing with the dvd. AND Jeez sony cant even send a postcard or make a nice package for CMBYM. They just sent the movie in a cheap asf paper sleeve. They aren’t even trying. There goes Chalamet’s chances of getting the SAG. Compared to Darkest hour it looks bad. I mean perception and first impressions are important. If i got that as a screener id be like they cant even be bothered why should i vote for them. sure they got totally shut out at SAG except for actor. But cant they at least try.

can’t believe that spc couldn’t be bothered to put the cmbyn screeners in anything other than a f**king home dvd paper sleeve

it’s so freakin ridiculous an incredibly frustrating that the cmbyn team is being let down because spc is lazy as hell. Now we know why cmbyn is continually underperforming. Chalamet doing very well on the awards circuit imagine where he would be if spc actually put in some effort in campaigning !!! I’m not just mad as a fan of cmbyn im angry as a film lover that a big studio like sony pictures classic would let down such a beautiful film.

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

SPC always cheap with screener designs, but if a film is good enough, they win anyway. Still Alice was a digital only screener and Moore won with ease.

ReplyCopy URL
    unown
    Participant
    Topics:

can’t believe that spc couldn’t be bothered to put the cmbyn screeners in anything other than a f**king home dvd paper sleeve it’s so freakin ridiculous an incredibly frustrating that the cmbyn team is being let down because spc is lazy as hell. Now we know why cmbyn is continually underperforming. Chalamet doing very well on the awards circuit imagine where he would be if spc actually put in some effort in campaigning !!! I’m not just mad as a fan of cmbyn im angry as a film lover that a big studio like sony pictures classic would let down such a beautiful film.

IFKR!!!! So fustrating when ur studio cant even put effort in. I looked at SPC’s Past Oscar winners and all of them were undeniable wins or overdue ones like Blanchet, Julianne Moore and PS Hoffman. Doubt any of them won thanks to their studios. And their slate is not that much this year. Their Only big chance at awards is CMBYN and they do this.

If they put in even half of the effort oldman is puting in he would have at least taken either the globes or Critics awards by now. Pretty sure the big reason Chalamet even gets in is due to his worthy  performance. Not sure if they do this for the Oscar FYC campaigns. If so i guess we can only expect Chalamet as the solo acting nom for this movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

can’t believe that spc couldn’t be bothered to put the cmbyn screeners in anything other than a f**king home dvd paper sleeve it’s so freakin ridiculous an incredibly frustrating that the cmbyn team is being let down because spc is lazy as hell. Now we know why cmbyn is continually underperforming. Chalamet doing very well on the awards circuit imagine where he would be if spc actually put in some effort in campaigning !!! I’m not just mad as a fan of cmbyn im angry as a film lover that a big studio like sony pictures classic would let down such a beautiful film.

IFKR!!!! So fustrating when ur studio cant even put effort in. I looked at SPC’s Past Oscar winners and all of them were undeniable wins or overdue ones like Blanchet, Julianne Moore and PS Hoffman. Doubt any of them won thanks to their studios. And their slate is not that much this year. Their Only big chance at awards is CMBYN and they do this. If they put in even half of the effort oldman is puting in he would have at least taken either the globes or Critics awards by now. Pretty sure the big reason Chalamet even gets in is due to his worthy performance. Not sure if they do this for the Oscar FYC campaigns. If so i guess we can only expect Chalamet as the solo acting nom for this movie.

Chalamet has won or been nominated at every guild and critic’s awards despite this. Imagine the race if spc actually pushed the film. Even Neon a new distributer is on fire with the I, Tonya campaigning.

ReplyCopy URL
    Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Out of all the upcoming awards, the SAG Awards are the most boring to me due to how obvious all the winners seem. Of the film acting races, the only one with any suspense is Supporting Actress, which seems like a coin-toss between Janney and Metcalf.

I believe the Allison Janney will win because I, Tonya was a late screener and both Janney and Robbie still got in, which means there is enough passionate support for at least one of them to win. Since Frances has Lead Actress almost 100% secured, they will go with the multiple SAG winner Janney for Film Supporting Actress. The Golden Globes also awarded Janney in the middle of SAG final voting, which could have helped tip the scales in her favor. Oh, and Janney gives a more transformative performance than Metcalf.

Note to myself: Don’t ever feed the trolls. Don’t get involved in others drama. Don’t let myself be swayed by others predictions, trust my gut more often!

Note to all others: If you don’t happen to like me, ignore me. It is that simple.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

@Teridax Lead Actor is clearly sewn up for Oldman, but I would say that the other races are tossups. While Frances is the frontrunner at SAG (I’m predicting her to win), the voters could go for the it girl in Ronan. Even Hawkins could upset despite TSOW not being nominated in Ensemble. Who knows in a race that has been this competitive all year?

Rockwell has to overcome vote splitting with Harrelson to defeat Dafoe once again, essentially killing his Oscar dreams. Three Billboards is obviously loved by this guild, but Willem Dafoe is a modern film legend. Maybe the voters want to give him a bone.

Supporting Actress is slightly difficult. Janney has so much momentum right now, but Metcalf gives the kind of performance that these voters usually go for.

ReplyCopy URL
    Diet Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

@Teridax Lead Actor is clearly sewn up for Oldman, but I would say that the other races are tossups. While Frances is the frontrunner at SAG (I’m predicting her to win), the voters could go for the it girl in Ronan. Even Hawkins could upset despite TSOW not being nominated in Ensemble. Who knows in a race that has been this competitive all year?

Rockwell has to overcome vote splitting with Harrelson to defeat Dafoe once again, essentially killing his Oscar dreams. Three Billboards is obviously loved by this guild, but Willem Dafoe is a modern film legend. Maybe the voters want to give him a bone.

Supporting Actress is slightly difficult. Janney has so much momentum right now, but Metcalf gives the kind of performance that these voters usually go for.

Dafoe’s movie isn’t as beloved overall as Three Billboards clearly is, plus Rockwell is also someone who has worked with a ton of people, exactly the kind of respected actor they would want to throw a bone. Vote-splitting is only a thing if there isn’t an obvious frontrunner, as Rockwell clearly is.

Lead Actress had been very competitive up until the Globes. Now, I think Sally doesn’t have a prayer due to the Ensemble and Spencer snubs showing a lack of enthusiasm for her film overall and Saoirse won’t win because she isn’t seen as overdue enough (SAG loves to award veterans). True, Larson, Stone, Lawrence, and Portman won when they were hardly overdue, but they didn’t have to contend with the passionately loved Three Billboards. Also, it would make no sense for the voters to award TB Supporting Actor and Ensemble yet snub McDormand. I think you are looking at this as a much closer race between Billboards and Lady Bird than it truly is. The McDonagh film isn’t just out front to sweep all 3 SAG categories, it feels comfortably out front. Just my clear-eyed view of the races. I hope I am wrong and Lady Bird pulls off a clean sweep here, but I highly doubt it.

About Metcalf and Janney, I just switched to the latter tonight simply because she seems to have so much momentum. Metcalf’s subtlety could end up hurting her, with many voters likely preferring Janney’s more showy and transformative work.

Note to myself: Don’t ever feed the trolls. Don’t get involved in others drama. Don’t let myself be swayed by others predictions, trust my gut more often!

Note to all others: If you don’t happen to like me, ignore me. It is that simple.

ReplyCopy URL
    Keth
    Participant
    Topics:

I know that Oldman seems like a lock, and probably is. However, I keep reading news articles about Chalamet giving his salary for his role in an upcoming Woody Allen film to charity. I wonder if the publicity might have a positive impact on Chalamet, especially if the race is close. Probably not, but I would love to see an upset in this category for Timothy.

Also, it does look like Janney is in the driver’s seat for supporting actress, but does the fact that she already has four SAGs (in the ensemble category albeit) might make a difference? Last year, I felt like Denzel Washington won Best Actor because he didn’t have a SAG award – he was a worthy winner, although I did prefer Casey Affleck. I mean does the SAG members even keep track of who has won or not and try to distribute the wealth? Hard to tell, but I would like to see Metcalf win the SAG since Janney has already won Globe and Critics. I’m afraid if Janney wins SAG, the Oscar is probably hers too. (I do like both performances, but I rewatched “Lady Bird” and prefer Laurie just a tad more – she seemed more real with her flaws).

I’m predicting “Three Billboards” to have a big night with Best Ensemble, Actress, and Supporting Actor (Rockwell) winning. I’m a fan of “Three Billboards” so I will be fine with this outcome, but I also wouldn’t mind if “Mudbound” or “Lady Bird”, Robbie or Ronan, and Dafoe or Harrelson win their categories.

Just Friday morning thoughts before SAG weekend.

ReplyCopy URL
    unown
    Participant
    Topics:

Chalamet has won or been nominated at every guild and critic’s awards despite this. Imagine the race if spc actually pushed the film. Even Neon a new distributer is on fire with the I, Tonya campaigning.

Exactly Neon is out for blood(awards) and at this point and they might get it. I hope Ronan wins Lead cause they might decide to reward Lady Bird either here or ensemble since Janney looks more and more certain. But im still not moving metcalf out of my top spot.

Does anyone think chalamet even has a prayer for an upset at SAG’s?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.