Home Forums Movies Spirit Awards 2021

Spirit Awards 2021

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 153 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
estrelas
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

Because they got the ensemble nomination, they weren’t elegible for the individual acting categories.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I want to clarify the order of Spirit deliberations. They have a mandate to spread the wealth, so nominations in some categories make you ineligible in others.

Winning the Robert Altman Award precludes the cast from individual nominations in the four regular acting categories.

They first decide the main Feature, Director and Screenplay nominees. Anything nominated in Feature or Director is ineligible for First Feature. Anything nominated in Screenplay is ineligible for First Screenplay. So:

Promising Young Woman: Snubbed in Feature → Nominated in Director → Ineligible in First Feature

Sound of Metal: Snubbed in Feature → Snubbed in Director → Nominated in First Feature

One Night in Miami…: Snubbed in Feature → Snubbed in Director → Snubbed in First Feature

Note: Regina King is a Spirit winner because the director shares in the Altman Award, but this does not preclude her from a Director nomination. Spotlight and Moonlight won both for example.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sir Shaw
    Topics:

Love that The Invisible Man is an Indie Spirit Nominee. Wow

To think this started life as a spin-off to 2017’s “The Mummy”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Nine Days in Supporting Actor and First Feature but literally nowhere else? Not even Supporting Actress or First Screenplay? Embarassing. It literally has the best screenplay of the year period.

FYC:

Lead Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)

Supporting Actress: Maria Bakalova (Borat Subsequent Moviefilm)

Supporting Actor: Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

-----------------------------

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

Luvvvv the Domingo and Turman nomination.

Me too!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

My favourite nominations are Shira Haas and Amit Rahav, especially the latter, they both deserve to get in at the Globes!

FYC:

Vitalina Varela, Vitalina Varela (Actress)
    Andrea Riseborough, Karim Saleh, Possessor/Luxor (Actress, Actor)
    Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage, I Care a Lot (Actress, Supporting Actor)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)
    Sophia Loren, Abril Zamora, The Life Ahead (Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman (Actress)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Owl-Always-watching
    Topics:

My fav nomination is Valerie in French Exit. She was my favorite part in movie and figured that she be ignored all season.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

One of their best list of nominations ever.

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

Honestly I really loved Talia Ryder for NRSA, such a good, but underrated performance.

FYC:

Best Screenplay: Never Rarely Sometimes Always (Eliza Hitman)
    Best Actress: Sidney Flanigan ("Never Rarely Sometimes Always")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Question: Could Sidney Flanigan surprise at the other televised awards?

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I am not a fan of how Editing has become the go-to category this season to acknowledge The Invisible Man. It feels very much like these groups did not have space for it in the major categories, but wanted to throw it a bone somewhere and they do not care about editing anyway, so might as well be there. Unless you count the visual effects as editing, it is not a particularly showy achievement in editing. Nothing wrong with the editing, but that is true of a lot of films—that are being acknowledged in the main races. Not saying that it is not individually deserving, but it rubs me the wrong way, like how you feel when you see someone nominated over a better performance in the same film or that kind of thing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

I suppose they were trying to spread the wealth but I don’t understand how a film gets nominated for Best Director, Best Screenplay and Best Actress but NOT Best Feature.  I hope the omission here doesn’t hurt Promising Young Women’s chances for a Best Picture nomination elsewhere.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

Question: Could Sidney Flanigan surprise at the other televised awards?

I’d be surprised. I think if something from the movie turns up it would be screenplay. I don’t have high hopes though.

FYC:

Best Screenplay: Never Rarely Sometimes Always (Eliza Hitman)
    Best Actress: Sidney Flanigan ("Never Rarely Sometimes Always")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chloe Sevigny stan <3
    Topics:

Especially happy with NRSA over-performance and Yeri Han’s mention!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Yu Terry
    Topics:

I would respond too this but it seems you’re being provocative and just refusing to be polite when you’re disagreeing with others. Some of us are predicting an over-performance for PYW and some aren’t? So what? You’re predicting The Trial of the Chicago 7 to be the Oscar frontrunner. Does that mean you’re a massive stan of that? No. You and Yu Terry keep posting about how you found Promising Young Woman overrated and bad and then accusing others of letting their own personal bias influencing their predictions and I find that inherently hypocritical. It’s ok to let your personal qualitative thoughts influence your predictions and it’s ok to disagree with others but you shouldn’t just descend to childish regressive retorts when you disagree with someone.  

Why do you sound like you feel you’re the judge here and try to high-road people? I’ve had only one comment about PYW Jesus….  Or are you so desperate that you keep track of everyone who likes the posts with message against PYW? That sounds scary. We all know you’re the biggest stan of PYW here and I’ve said nothing against you personally, right?  So now calling me out personally and judging people with those subjective words?   Every film gets good and bad words here but you only focus on people who talked against PYW.  Did PYW the only film here get response like “I think it’s too high on your prediction” or “it might be overestimated”?  Why are they okay for other films while “childish” for PYW?

Relax and let go. Don’t be triggered like this because somebody said your fav is overestimated next time. Let people talk.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 153 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.