Home Forums Movies Spirit Awards 2021

Spirit Awards 2021

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 338 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
estrelas
Novic
  • Profile picture
    Chaplin
    Topics:

Happy for Riz and Carey, both amazing performances and deserving winners.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    nevkm
    Topics:

Happy for Riz and Carey, both amazing performances and deserving winners.

Just woke up to this!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MultipleOscarWinner
    Topics:

Ahmed winning isn’t that strange, people need to remember these awards can be voted on by literally anyone (case in point: I have no ties to the industry at all and I voted cause I had membership), I wouldn’t say it really has any implication for the Oscars. I’m very glad to see him win though. All three of my favourite leading performances this year have won major awards.

Yeah, but they always stick to Oscars. Always. If that were the case, Lupita would’ve won last year in a cakewalk.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Nate
    Topics:

I am not surprised at Nomadland doing so well, but am very surprised at Mulligan winning over Spirit Award fave McDormand. I am glad at Youn winning so much, but am disappointed at wins for Minari being increasingly limited to awards for her performance. And Sound of Metal goes 3 for 3, including Ahmed over Boseman? Other than all of that, the big surprise has to be Quo Vadis, Aida? winning for Best International Film, and I would really enjoy it winning the Oscar over Another Round. And I am so glad for Crip Camp winning, as that is my dark horse pick in the Best Documentary category at the Oscars.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Yeah, but they always stick to Oscars. Always. If that were the case, Lupita would’ve won last year in a cakewalk.

They do often stick to Oscars but they do also have anomalies where frontrunners/Oscar nominees aren’t nominated, either because their film was too expensive (Phoenix, Kaluuya) or because their film won the Altman (the three Marriage Story nominees, Leslie Odom Jr)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MultipleOscarWinner
    Topics:

They do often stick to Oscars but they do also have anomalies where frontrunners/Oscar nominees aren’t nominated, either because their film was too expensive (Phoenix, Kaluuya) or because their film won the Altman (the three Marriage Story nominees, Leslie Odom Jr)

Oh, definitely, but in my original post I said that when they intersect, they just play by the rules of front-runners. They have a mind of their own when they pick their nominees yet not when they pick their winners. It’s such an anomaly for Ahmed to have won this award. Makes me think Chadwick is as not lock as I thought.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Two actors this century have won the Oscar after losing at the Spirits: Marcia Gay Harden, one of the biggest surprise wins in Oscar history who had no precursor nominations and Sean Penn, beaten by Mickey Rourke with whom he had split the precursors.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Really really happy with the acting winners!!! AHMED, MULLIGAN, RACI and YOUN!!!!!! Such a great list of winners!!! So I got one awards show this season that I was happy with the winners – won’t happen on Sunday but I am so glad particularly for Ahmed and Raci to have finally won a televised award this season!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    abelfenty
    Topics:

Nomadland deservingly swept. Happy for both Mulligan and Fennell. Finally Palm Springs gets the recognition it deserves.

A pretty good set of winners overall.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

Got everything right except Riz Ahmed and Crip Camp.

The clown in me had Crip Camp forever and then I changed to Time at the last minute. Once again, last-minute changes never work out!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Palm Springs winning over The Assistant and Miss Juneteenth is gross.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

Are the acceptance speeches anywhere other than Film Independent’s YouTube channel? The uploads there were quick at first but then suddenly dropped off and they’re still missing some key categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

Two actors this century have won the Oscar after losing at the Spirits: Marcia Gay Harden, one of the biggest surprise wins in Oscar history who had no precursor nominations and Sean Penn, beaten by Mickey Rourke with whom he had split the precursors.

Not really. Tomei still takes the cake. Marcia had a very Oscar bait clip with “You keep needing and needing and needing”!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thomasrigours
    Topics:

Not really. Tomei still takes the cake. Marcia had a very Oscar bait clip with “You keep needing and needing and needing”!

It’s not because she had an Oscar bait clip that her win wasn’t one of the most surprising ever. Vanessa Kirby this year has several Oscar bait clip with the birth sequence and the “That is what you need” scene but if she ends up winning on Sunday, it will be one of the most surprising win ever too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Only semi-surprised about Riz winning, but it’s nice seeing him win at least one major award this cycle. Melissa did a solid job as host given the circumstances. Didn’t like how they flew through countless categories, but whatever.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 338 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.