Home Forums Movies Spirit Awards 2021

Spirit Awards 2021

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 331 through 338 (of 338 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
estrelas
Novic
  • Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

Hold the prepaid phone! You mean to tell me that a good portion of the voting body are regular degular people from here and Twitter?!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Not really. Tomei still takes the cake. Marcia had a very Oscar bait clip with “You keep needing and needing and needing”!

Marcia Gay Harden, one of the biggest surprise wins in Oscar history..

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MultipleOscarWinner
    Topics:

Two actors this century have won the Oscar after losing at the Spirits: Marcia Gay Harden, one of the biggest surprise wins in Oscar history who had no precursor nominations and Sean Penn, beaten by Mickey Rourke with whom he had split the precursors.

See what I’m telling? Harden lost because they didn’t think she would win and Rourke was the front-runner at a point. It’s extremely unusual for Ahmed to have won this. I hope a situation like this sticks in the future.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DrewN92
    Topics:

Sorry to bump, but curious to members of Film Independent, other than obviously being able to vote, is membership worth it in terms of screeners and screenings?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    gatorfan
    Topics:

In terms of screeners I would say it’s worth it. This year every nominated film was made available through Film Independent’s secured streaming site. The past few years maybe 1 or 2 nominees didn’t bother providing screeners but you can usually track those films down on ITunes, Netflix, Prime etc.

This year screenings for other films were pretty good as it was all done via streaming; I was able to watch Judas & The Black Messiah for free for example. However, most other years any free screenings are usually at Los Angeles area theaters so unless you live in the L.A. area, which I don’t, it’s not really worth it.

Hope I was able to help.

First Place- 2018 DGA Awards
    First Place- 2015 DGA Awards
    First Place- 2015 Razzie Award Nominations
    First Place- 2015 Academy Of Country Music Awards

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

is membership worth it in terms of screeners and screenings?

Yes! At least I’ve found it value for money personally because I haven’t been able to go to the cinema because of the pandemic so it’s been great to see some new releases (whether this be Oscar contenders or indie gems) whilst cinemas have been restricted.

I don’t know whether I’ll keep my membership when the pandemic plateaus and it’s safe to return to cinemas or whether I’ll renew my membership beyond this year but it’s been great to see some films I might not have had the chance to otherwise. Last week I saw the Sundance film Together Together and next week I’ll be seeing a film called Limbo (which was up for a BAFTA this year for Outstanding British Debut). One thing I’m glad about when it comes to their free screenings is that whilst they’re regular, you don’t get bombarded with them to the extent that you’re too fatigued to RSVP for a screening for a film you’d otherwise be looking forward to. They’re usually bi-weekly.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DrewN92
    Topics:

Thank you both! Very helpful. I’m definitely interested, and it’s not too pricey or anything so figure I will give it a chance. I live in NYC so was hoping for potential screening opportunities here, but fine with screeners/streaming. Thanks again!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Owl-Always-watching
    Topics:

It’s completely worth it . Specially this year , they had so many virtual Screening that I got to see movies that I probably would of never seen .

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 8 posts - 331 through 338 (of 338 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.