Home Forums Movies Sundance 2021

Sundance 2021

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
CuriousHedgehog
mf617
Qoslca
  • Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

Don’t know if there’s already a thread around, but I thought a thread about Sundance 2021 would be nice, talk about the films, any potential traction they might have, and acquisitions made.

Starting off, I haven’t seen it, since it’s sold out, but CODA just got acquired by Apple for $25 million+. (https://twitter.com/indiewire/status/1355596735138025472?s=21), I heard it was really good.

Any disappointments? I heard John and the Hole was a let down.

FYC:

Best Screenplay: Never Rarely Sometimes Always (Eliza Hitman)
    Best Actress: Sidney Flanigan ("Never Rarely Sometimes Always")

Profile picture
    Marrowbone
    Topics:

Starting off, I haven’t seen it, since it’s sold out, but CODA just got acquired by Apple for $25 million+. (https://twitter.com/indiewire/status/1355596735138025472?s=21), I heard it was really good. 

It is indeed. A must-watch. It’s a film we needеd, very touching and human. Emilia Jones was terrific.

⭐Best Actress - Carey Mulligan, Rosamund Pike

⭐Best Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-Jung

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

Don’t know if there’s already a thread around, but I thought a thread about Sundance 2021 would be nice, talk about the films, any potential traction they might have, and acquisitions made. Starting off, I haven’t seen it, since it’s sold out, but CODA just got acquired by Apple for $25 million+. (https://twitter.com/indiewire/status/1355596735138025472?s=21), I heard it was really good. Any disappointments? I heard John and the Hole was a let down.

I’m very excited for CODA. At a $25 million buy, Apple beat the previous Sundance option record held by NEON for Palm Springs. Apple has a limited slate and is very selective with its projects, so it could be good news for CODA’s awards chances next year — at the very least on the indie awards circuit.

As far as any disappointments go so far, I heard that Mother Schmuckers was supposedly quite bad, and the animated film Cryptozoo seems to be divisive — some love it, some don’t.

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

I also believe Neon acquired something? Am I right?

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

I also believe Neon acquired something? Am I right?

Yes, they purchased the animated documentary Flee for somewhere in the seven figures. They could possibly position it to make a play for Animated Feature next year. It’d be a unique nomination, for sure…

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

Martha Plimpton is getting kudos for Mass.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

Martha Plimpton is getting kudos for Mass.

I’ve heard the cast in that is spectacular.

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

Also, there’s a couple first impressions of PASSING out and they’re mostly pretty positive so far.

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

Also, there’s a couple first impressions of PASSING out and they’re mostly pretty positive so far.

I’m especially excited for Ruth Negga as an early front runner in supporting actress.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Mass has been getting a lot of praise today, especially the performances of Ann Dowd and Martha Plimpton.

I definitely can see this making it next season. It’s a very relevant topic and like I said, it’s getting raves.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    mf617
    Topics:

Watched “CODA” last night and loved it — it is exactly the type of movie I needed to watch right now and is so full of heart. The reviews and reactions that said this was a crowd pleaser were certainly right, and while Apple buying it seems to indicate that it wouldn’t get a traditional theatrical release, I think the term still holds up as it charmed and won over everyone in my household. The story isn’t exactly groundbreaking in terms of being a coming of age story, but the themes related to the deaf community and accessibility are strong and add layers to the film that take it to another level. Some of Sian Heder’s directorial decisions elevate the story and you can sense the level of care that was taken to ensure this story was a proper reflection of the deaf community. Heder’s screenplay is very funny and sweet, and hits all of the beats you would want in a heartwarming film like this. The performances also elevate this film to another level. Emilia Jones gives a really good breakout performance that should elevate her career, and Marlee Marlin is reliably great in a multi-faceted role that allows her to showcase her range, but it was Daniel Durant and especially Troy Kotsur who delivered my favorite performances of the film. I don’t think I’ve seen either actor before, but they made a huge impact on me. Durant’s character’s arc is lowkey the most interesting of the film, and I could watch a whole movie from his perspective. Kotsur is just tremendous – he is heartbreaking, hilarious, and genuine, and he’s the performance I’ll keep thinking about days later. I keep thinking about how we discuss a lack of passion for a lot of films in this year’s awards race, and I don’t know if it is because we are all looking for a feel-good movie right now, but I think this film will incite a lot of passion. It’s a shame it will be a while before everyone else gets to see it. Between this and “Sound of Metal,” I have really adored these films about deafness and hope it continues to open to floodgates for stories about disabilities on screen so that they are no longer treated as an anomaly. I already can’t wait to watch this one again!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Miss
    Topics:

Jerrod Carmichael’s On The Count of Three, anyone? Seems like a Gotham/Spirit contender already! Feel like Neon or a streamer will pick this one up

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

Jerrod Carmichael’s On The Count of Three, anyone? Seems like a Gotham/Spirit contender already! Feel like Neon or a streamer will pick this one up

I enjoyed it for the most part. This dark comedy (that’s how I would define it) is definitely carried by its 2 lead performances. I didn’t care for the ending.

I definitely could see Christopher Abbott in Best Male Lead and Jerrod Carmichael in Best First Film at the Spirits.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

Seeing that next! I’ve heard really good things, I can personally seeing Neon/Amazon/A24 of the likes picking it up from what I’ve heard of it.

I’m partway through my watch of HOW IT ENDS, and I just… can’t vibe with this movie? I don’t find it funny, there’s a little semblance of plot, and it kind of feels like it drags.

FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Noe
    Topics:

Flee Trailer

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.