Home Forums Movies 2021 BAFTA Predictions

2021 BAFTA Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 517 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Gabarnes43
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Why isn’t Let Them All Talk elegible here? Does it not have a UK release?

FYC OSCARS

PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN in all categories (inc. CAREY MULLIGAN & Emerald Fennell in Screenplay)

THE FATHER in all categories (inc. Best Picture, ANTHONY HOPKINS, Olivia Colman & Adapted Screenplay)

Lo Si (Diane Warren) for Original Song

Chloe Zhao for Director

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Why isn’t Let Them All Talk elegible here? Does it not have a UK release?

It hasn’t been submitted and has no UK release scheduled (even pre pandemic).

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    PeytonKawai
    Topics:

Exactly. I doubt they’re going to nominate two black actresses, given how racist they are.

They are not racist. They just love to award or nominate British or performances in British films

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

If it’s already been noted I apologize for reposting but FYI, there’s a BAFTA Q&A with Carey and Emerald for Promising Young Woman on January 19th:

https://events.bafta.org/event/view.php?id=363:d0b1-4e90

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Had a look again at the PDF and interestingly Netflix have not submitted Enola Holmes for consideration. I wonder if they’re chasing after TV BAFTAs instead?

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Rosemund Pike feels a lot safer for BAFTA attention because in the U.K. her film is premiering on Amazon. I’ve mentioned before that she’ll struggle to garner attention in the states because Netflix has half a dozen higher profile contenders in this category alone, but Amazon had much less on their plate. Realistically, they could campaign I Care a Lot, Sound of Metal, One Night in Miami, and Borat 2 and get all of them in at the BAFTA’s.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Dominique Fishback
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Realistically, they could campaign I Care a Lot, Sound of Metal, One Night in Miami, and Borat 2 and get all of them in at the BAFTA’s.

Sound of Metal is not Amazon here and One Night in Miami is not getting in at the BAFTAs when its buzz is very minimal and its taken two days for Amazon to actually put it on their front page (they had it after Sylvie’s Love, Songbird, After We Collided and a trashy Downton Abbey like TV Movie on their front page in the Amazon exclusives section).

Although you’re right they only have I Care A LotOne Night in Miami and <i>Borat 2 </i>to campaign here

Profile picture
    Fletcher
    Topics:

Clemency – Leading Actresses Alfre Woodard (Bernadine Williams), Leading Actors: Aldis Hodge (Anthony Woods),
    Supporting Actresses: Danielle Brooks (Evette Wilkinson), Supporting Actors: Wendell Pierce (Jonathan Williams),
    Richard Schiff (Marty Lumetta)

Alfre is coming!

Profile picture
    TVLUVAH
    Topics:

My current BAFTA acting predix:

Best Actor:
    Riz Ahmed
    Kingsley Ben-Adir
    Chadwick Boseman *winner
    Anthony Hopkins
    Delroy Lindo
    Gary Oldman
    ~
    spoiler: Tom Hanks

Best Actress:
    Viola Davis
    Vanessa Kirby
    Sophia Loren
    Frances McDormand
    Carey Mulligan *winner
    Zendaya
    ~
    spoiler: Robin Wright

Sup Actor:
    Sasha Baron Cohen
    Chadwick Boseman
    Daniel Kaluuya *winner
    Leslie Odom Jr.
    Mark Rylance
    Stanley Tucci, Supernova
    ~ spoiler
    Yahya-Abdul Mateen

Sup Actress:
    Ellen Burstyn
    Olivia Colman *winner
    Glenn Close
    Dominique Fishback
    Amanda Seyfried
    Youn Yuh-Jung
    ~ spoiler:
    Jodie Foster

Profile picture
    Fletcher
    Topics:

My pred for Actress shortlist (10, right?)

Viola Davis – Carey Mulligan – Sophia Loren – Frances Mcdormand – Vanessa Kirby – Jessie Buckley – Anya Taylor Joy – Zendaya – Alfre Woodard – Morfydd Clark

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Clemency – Leading Actresses Alfre Woodard (Bernadine Williams), Leading Actors: Aldis Hodge (Anthony Woods),
    Supporting Actresses: Danielle Brooks (Evette Wilkinson), Supporting Actors: Wendell Pierce (Jonathan Williams),
    Richard Schiff (Marty Lumetta)

Alfre is coming!

Hodge made the London FCC Awards (albeit in Supporting), hopefully he makes the longlist (and eventually nominated).

Recently watched the film and shocked Danielle Brooks never got any traction anywhere, she was OUTSTANDING in the film. She’s the definition of a one scene wonder but what a glorious scene.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Writers Guild of Great Britain have started up their member screenings again for BAFTA voting. They had three screenings online of Saint Maud in December, a screening of <i>Another Round </i>in December, Supernova in December and last week both Radioactive and To Olivia (the new Roald Dahl biopic starring Hugh Bonneville and Keeley Hawes) were screened.

Profile picture
    Topics:

Best Film: The Father, Mank, Nomadland, Trail of Chicago 7, Soul                             Best Director: David Fincher: Mank Regina King: One Night in Miami,                    Chole Zhao: Nomadland Christopher Nolan: Tenet                                              Aaron Sorkin Trail of Chicago 7                                                                                            Best Actor: Antony Hopkins: The Father                                                                        Chadwick Bosman: Ma Rainys Black Bottom Gary Oldman: Mank                        Riz Amhed: Sound of Metal John David Washington: Tenet                                        Best Actress Anya Taylor Joy: Emma Kate Winslet: Ammonite, Frances McDormand: Nomadland Carey Mulligan: Promising Young Women                        Vanessa Kirby: Pieces of a Woman                                                                                       Best Supporting Actor: Leslie Odom Jr: One Night in Miami                         Sacha Baron Cohen: Trail of Chicago 7  Mark Rylance: Trail of Chicago 7         Paul Daci: Sound of Metal Stanley Tucci: Supernova                                                 Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried: Mank Oliva Coleman: The Father    Sarioise Ronan: Ammomite Ellen Bursyten: Pieces of a Woman                           Volia Davis: Ma Rainys Black Bottom                                                                         Best Orginal Screenplay: Da 5 Bloods, Mank, Minirai, Trail of Chicago 7, Soul,   Best Adaptated Screenplay: The Father, I’m Thinking of Ending Things,        Ma Rainy’s Black Bottom, Nomadland, One Night in Mimai,                                   Best Casting: Emma, The Father, Mank, Prom, Trail of Chicago 7                          Best Cinematography: Da 5 Bloods, Mank, Nomadland, Tenet, Wonder Woman 1984                                                                                                                  Best Costume Design: Emma, Mank, Ma Rainys Black Bottom, Prom, Wonder Woman 1984                                                                                                                      Best Editing: The Father, Mank, Nomadland, Tenet, Trail of Chicago 7                Best Sound: Ma Rainys Black Bottom, Mank, Tenet, Sound of Metal, Soul          Best Production Design: Emma, Mank, Ma Rainys Black Bottom, Tenet, Trail of Chicago 7                                                                                                                          Best Film Not in English: Another Round, Minrai, Mole Agent, Two of Us, Never Gonna Snow Again                                                                                               Best Documentary: I am Greta, Becoming, David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet, Miss Americana, Truffle Hunters                                                                    Best Animation: Onward, Soul, Wolfwalkers                                                              Best British Film: David Attenborugh: A Life on Our Planet, Emma, The Father, His House, Misbehaviour, Tenet

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

The 6 slots at BAFTA makes them a useless precursor now in many cases. Often in the journey to an Oscar nomination, BAFTA has historically provided great info about who a nominee is going to be – think of how they called the Director lineup exactly last year. Now, when they nominate multiple contenders who are on the bubble, it’s going to provide no clarity – imagine if both Taika Waititi and Todd Phillips had been nominated. It would be easy to say “Taika got the DGA nomination over Phillips, so Phillips was probably 6th here and it’s going to be Taika coming for that Oscar nomination.”

At the same time, someone missing the lineup of 6 still won’t necessarily say anything about their Oscar chances either, because BAFTA can have blindspots, and their voting procedure is different than the Oscars. Best Actor last year, if they had 6 spots available, Christian Bale surely would have been the 6th nominee. So then it might have seemed easy to say “okay Antonio Banderas is done, it’s going to be 5 out of these 6 guys”. Not what happened. Also, Jonathan Pryce being nominated at BAFTA over Christian Bale last year provided VERY clear info about who was getting the Oscar nomination between the two of them. With 6 nominees? It says nothing.

Profile picture
    nat1612
    Topics:

Had a look again at the PDF and interestingly Netflix have not submitted Enola Holmes for consideration. I wonder if they’re chasing after TV BAFTAs instead?

Would be great if Goldderby could ask Netflix this. Netflix has no FYC for Enola Holmes or as you say have it listed for consideration at the BAFTA’s. While extremely slim, surely it has more chance than some of the other films it has FYC’s for. And considering this was initially supposed to be distributed to cinemas by WB, I doubt they would submit in TV BAFTA’s???

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 517 total)

The topic ‘2021 BAFTA Predictions’ is closed to new replies.