Home Forums Movies 2021 BAFTA Predictions

2021 BAFTA Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 517 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
Gabarnes43
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

I’m going with the top 4 and Moryfdd and Bukky. It just makes sense.

Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

Rocks and Saint Maud just won a bunch of London Film Critics Circle awards (with nominations across the board) including individual win for Morfydd Clark and Bukky Bakray and people still think they’re behind Kate Winslet and Amy Adams?

Critics aren’t BAFTA voters though.

I am currently predicting one of each though. Amy (in the same way Blunt got in after her SAG nom), and Bakray as the British breakthrough performance of the year in a film that’s very likely to contend for British Film and possibly win Casting.

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Rocks was so excellently casted (especially for a cast consisting of majority of teens & kids), would an great winner.

Emmys FYC: Alan Tudyk in “Resident Alien”, Billie Piper in “I Hate Suzie”, Ego Nwodim in “Saturday Night Live”, Kaley Cuoco in “Harley Quinn”

“Dickinson”, “P-Valley”, “Pose” & “Superstore” in all categories

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

For me Actress is one of the easier races to call and is the only one I won’t be offering a “ranking” on. There is a clear top 7 here of Bakray, Buckley, Clarke, Davis, Kirby, McDormand and Mulligan with Mulligan probably winning. The question is who out of the top 7 misses out (and it’s not going to be Davis, McDormand or Mulligan).

BAFTA juries have biases for underdog British contenders. Just look at their television nominations every year. Clarke and Bakray’s films have performed better with audiences and the industry than some of the Oscar contenders. They are both newcomers and both of their films were some of those that performed the best on the long list. I don’t see why Amy Adams in her most divisive performance or Kate Winslet are ahead of them in nominations.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Mason
    Topics:

For me Actress is one of the easier races to call and is the only one I won’t be offering a “ranking” on. There is a clear top 7 here of Bakray, Buckley, Clarke, Davis, Kirby, McDormand and Mulligan with Mulligan probably winning. The question is who out of the top 7 misses out (and it’s not going to be Viola Davis).

Bakray or Buckley and given their quota in terms of diversity I think the latter will miss.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I’m between Bakray or Buckley for the sixth slot. But I’m also not ruling out Adams or Winslet. I definitely don’t think it’ll be Top 4 + Winslet & Loren like the odds do lmao

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Critics aren’t BAFTA voters though. I am currently predicting one of each though. Amy (in the same way Blunt got in after her SAG nom), and Bakray as the British breakthrough performance of the year in a film that’s very likely to contend for British Film and possibly win Casting.

Amy would get in if there wasn’t an actual BAFTA jury in place.

Both Saint Maud and Rocks aren’t just “critics films”. They both are films that performed exceptionally well won the long-list, both films that have been widely seen in visibility by the industry and both films that are likely top 4 for British Film. In a year where there has been a greater divide between UK and US releases and some Oscar contenders failing to materialise in popularity with BAFTA voters both of these films have had an advantage in this particular year.

Part of the reason the jury system was set up by BAFTA was not only to award a great representation of performances but also to be less “precursory” and award more British performances or performers from British Indies. Bakray and Clarke have even attracted more visibility (Saint Maud grossed $1.1 million a the British box office shortly before lockdown 2 in the UK in November whilst a big release like Misbehaviour grossed $500k at the UK box office shortly before lockdown 1 in the UK in March) and buzz than Adams and Winslet with audiences and the industry. So why would the jury nominate Adams and Winslet when it’s more or less counter-intuitive to their new methodology? Especially when the jury system has been put in place to stop people like Adams (and Margot Robbie) getting so many easy nominations because they’re in Oscar contending films.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Sir Shaw
    Topics:

Especially when the jury system has been put in place to stop people like Adams (and Margot Robbie) getting so many easy nominations because they’re in Oscar contending films.

And she’ll still be there as nominee for PYW, the irony.

Dear Emmys Voters

Television has never been better and it’s a pandemic year.

Be bold, not boring.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I can’t see why some of you are so confident about Jessie Buckley at BAFTA. Are they really going to nominate her again? Wild Rose was just another overlooked British/Irish pic that the British Academy appreciates more than other groups. Saint Maud is this year’s Wild Rose, not ITOT.

Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Rocks was so excellently casted (especially for a cast consisting of majority of teens & kids), would an great winner.

With the jury in place, it’s definitely getting nominated there. The LFCC even gave it a technical achievement win for its casting and I could see it winning the BAFTA too in the end.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Bakray or Buckley and given their quota in terms of diversity I think the latter will miss.

I do think (even though I am a massive fan of her performance) that there is a non zero chance that Kirby misses. She could end up being like Emily Blunt when she missed for Mary Poppins Returns and just get in at SAG and the Globes. However considering how Kirby both garners an amount of respect within the British industry, how well Pieces of a Woman has done commercially and with the industry over here that she’s quite likely. Not a lock by any means but safe-ish. I think the BAFTA jury will be able to tell that this is Kirby’s first lead role on film and her star making performance and reward her on the basis of that. She’s not winning but if she gets nominated she’s probably third.

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Would Robbie be scoring 2 noms again this year (Film and British Film)

6th Place WGA 2021
    12th Place VES 2021
    61st Place BAFTA nominations 2021

Profile picture
    tom92
    Topics:

Where’s this saint maud hype erupted from?

Profile picture
    Sir Shaw
    Topics:

Where’s this saint maud hype erupted from?

It’s box office has performed as well as most British films despite being in a literal pandemic and one of the most loved critically films of the year.

Dear Emmys Voters

Television has never been better and it’s a pandemic year.

Be bold, not boring.

Profile picture
    tom92
    Topics:

It’s box office has performed as well as most British films despite being in a literal pandemic and one of the most loved critically films of the year.

I’m British and just heard about this film!

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 517 total)

The topic ‘2021 BAFTA Predictions’ is closed to new replies.