Home Forums Movies Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)

Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 521 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
4 days ago
( +12 hidden )
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
CateNicole
estrelasdealg..
  • RBBrittain
    Participant
    Topics:

It looks like the 2021 BOS race is already over. Not only did Billie Eilish just sweep the General Field Grammys, but she and her brother have been tapped for the theme to No Time To Die. The only other two artists to win all the GF’s, Christopher Cross (all four in one evening) and Adele (BNA for her first album, AOTY, ROTY & SOTY for her second), each went on to win BOS; in Adele’s case it was for a Bond theme. Unless NTTD is a bigger bomb than Cats, expect the O’Connell siblings to win BOS.

CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

So Close isn’t getting hype for Four Good Days post-Sundance showing. Is it still too early, or does this confirm that this performance won’t be a major player?

The One And Only of Gold Derby.
    Participant
    Topics:

So Close isn’t getting hype for Four Good Days post-Sundance showing. Is it still too early, or does this confirm that this performance won’t be a major player?

I’ve heard Kunis, if it gets a distributor and awards release, could get a few mentions. Close will most likely just get more good will for Hillbilly Elegy.

Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

So far the only Sundance film I could see going all the way is Minari. The Father hasn’t premiered yet but I’m also expecting that to be an acting play for Hopkins and possibly Colman, if her role is beefed up a little. Four Good Days, Worth and Ironbark all disappointed.

estrelasdealgeruz
    Participant
    Topics:

So Close isn’t getting hype for Four Good Days post-Sundance showing. Is it still too early, or does this confirm that this performance won’t be a major player?

I think the reason for it is because the movie itself is not very good. It’s being overly compared to Beautiful Boy and Ben Is Back wich are very mediocre movies that rely purely on the performances. Out of the two (Glenn and Mila) Glenn is the one receiving the most praise but both are very equal. But I doubt any of the two receives any awards recognition for it.

Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

With the reviews for Promising Young Woman coming out of Sundance, I could see Mulligan being a critics’ award favorite. The release date, the subject matter, and the type of character doesn’t seem to be the kind of thing that big awards would feel comfortable nominating, but I expect Carey Mulligan to end up as a Florence Pugh/Toni Collette in terms of critical love and TONS of hype that doesn’t really end up going anywhere.

estrelasdealgeruz
    Participant
    Topics:

With the reviews for Promising Young Woman coming out of Sundance, I could see Mulligan being a critics’ award favorite. The release date, the subject matter, and the type of character doesn’t seem to be the kind of thing that big awards would feel comfortable nominating, but I expect Carey Mulligan to end up as a Florence Pugh/Toni Collette in terms of critical love and TONS of hype that doesn’t really end up going anywhere.

I was going to say the same thing. I could also see her getting a GG nomination for Best Actress Comedy/Musical.

The One And Only of Gold Derby.
    Participant
    Topics:

Carey Mulligan and Aubrey Plaza seem to be good Indie Spirit predictions.

BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

with films like promising young woman, achieving bo success is a much more relevant goal than awards, but c/m actress definitely isn’t out of her reach

never really had much hope for four good days, though I did for a second think glenn might get a double nod if the actress field is weak as this year. when was the last time a sundance release got an acting nod, call me by your name?

ecstatic for minari’s reception, but I’ve learned not to get my hopes up too high, or have any hopes at all for certain movies

CuriousHedgehog
    Participant
    Topics:

I like the sound of “Oscar Winner” Billie Eilish for NNTD.

Salsa Club
    Participant
    Topics:

ecstatic for minari’s reception, but I’ve learned not to get my hopes up too high, or have any hopes at all for certain movies

Especially when it comes to A24 films.. though this year seems a little more optimistic for them with Jennifer Lawrence and Joaquin Phoenix rounding out their slate of films and Minari riding Parasite’s inevitable Best Picture snub straight to the Oscars in 2021

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve heard Kunis, if it gets a distributor and awards release, could get a few mentions. Close will most likely just get more good will for Hillbilly Elegy.

I get the feeling that Kunis (and the film overall) will be hurt by Glenn being more heavily campaigned for Hillbilly Elegy. She’s currently the most talked about part of the film, so if she’s out of consideration for it, I could see it faltering in other categories as well. Sort of like how Adam Driver got way more campaigning for Marriage Story rather than The Report, which ended up only getting a Globe non overall.

CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

with films like promising young woman, achieving bo success is a much more relevant goal than awards, but c/m actress definitely isn’t out of her reach never really had much hope for four good days, though I did for a second think glenn might get a double nod if the actress field is weak as this year. when was the last time a sundance release got an acting nod, call me by your name? ecstatic for minari’s reception, but I’ve learned not to get my hopes up too high, or have any hopes at all for certain movies

Is Promising Young Woman a comedy??? Rlly doesn’t seem it. This film makes Carol look like a comedy.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  CateNicole.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  CateNicole.
    JB
    Participant
    Topics:

It looks like the 2021 BOS race is already over. Not only did Billie Eilish just sweep the General Field Grammys, but she and her brother have been tapped for the theme to No Time To Die. The only other two artists to win all the GF’s, Christopher Cross (all four in one evening) and Adele (BNA for her first album, AOTY, ROTY & SOTY for her second), each went on to win BOS; in Adele’s case it was for a Bond theme. Unless NTTD is a bigger bomb than Cats, expect the O’Connell siblings to win BOS.

This is ridiculous. No one has heard the song and the race for Song hasn’t even begun… Plus there are a lot of big contenders who will factor in as the year goes on, most notably Lin Manuel Miranda who will have new music for “In the Heights”.

Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Promising Young Woman a comedy??? Rlly doesn’t seem it. This film makes Carol look like a comedy.

No, it looks dark as hell lol. Mulligan looks fantastic but I don’t think that film is going anywhere, awards-wise, and that’s coming from someone who is not really looking forward to it, but also found the trailer great and is a big fan of Mulligan.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 521 total)

The topic ‘Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.