Home Forums Movies Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)

Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 517 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
CateNicole
estrelasdealg..
  • Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

The French Dispatch’s trailer is so weird. I haven’t seen any of his moves since Fantastic Mr. Fox, which I didn’t like as a kid, so I guess it’s just his signature style. Regardless, I expect this film to do very well at the Oscars: Picture, Screenplay, probably tons of tech noms, maybe Director. The onyk thing I’m skeptical about is acting. It’s such a massive ensemble cast I don’t think any of the performances are going to stand out over each other. This film is exactly the reason a Best Cast award needs to exist.

Academy-Award winners:

Parasite: Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay

Joker: Best Actor - Joaquin Phoenix

Jojo Rabbit: Best Adapted Screenplay

Profile picture
    thatnerdgreg
    Topics:

The French Dispatch’s trailer is so weird. I haven’t seen any of his moves since Fantastic Mr. Fox, which I didn’t like as a kid, so I guess it’s just his signature style. Regardless, I expect this film to do very well at the Oscars: Picture, Screenplay, probably tons of tech noms, maybe Director. The onyk thing I’m skeptical about is acting. It’s such a massive ensemble cast I don’t think any of the performances are going to stand out over each other. This film is exactly the reason a Best Cast award needs to exist.

I get what you mean about Fantastic Mr. Fox. I enjoyed it enough when I was a kid, but I didn’t really get it. In all honesty, I don’t think it should be seen as a kid’s film. The character and arc of the title role is something that kids can’t relate to, as his problem and development are really only applicable to adults. And while the film’s humor isn’t especially mature, a lot of it is a bit too abstract for kids to really appreciate. That’s not to say that kids can’t enjoy abstract humor, as I laughed my ass off at Spongebob when I was little (and I still do now), but Anderson’s film has such a peculiarly dry delivery that a lot of children just won’t truly get. Also, I was a bit confused by just how many differences there were in it compared to the original book, not to mention how they’re tonally very different. Also, there was like two times when Willem Dafoe Rat said that Meryl Streep Fox was a slut back in the day. So there’s that. Anyway, to make a long answer short, I don’t think it’s really a kids film.

Also, I agree that I don’t see French Dispatch getting any acting nominations based on that trailer. As of now, there doesn’t appear to be a main character, and while all the actors looked good in the trailer, there didn’t seem to be any one particular stand out. However, that doesn’t mean there isn’t a standout performance. When I saw the trailer for Three Billboards, I didn’t think Sam Rockwell looked like a particularly big standout (the trailer included some of the extremely showy window scene, but it was all quick enough that it didn’t even register that it was him), but he turned out to be one and won an Oscar, so who knows, maybe there’s an incredible Oscar worthy turn in the film that we just haven’t seen enough of yet. From what I’ve seen so far, I would guess McDormand has the best chance of the women and Murray has the best chance of the men, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m wrong about that.

Profile picture
    Tooner
    Topics:

I get what you mean about Fantastic Mr. Fox. I enjoyed it enough when I was a kid, but I didn’t really get it. In all honesty, I don’t think it should be seen as a kid’s film. The character and arc of the title role is something that kids can’t relate to, as his problem and development are really only applicable to adults. And while the film’s humor isn’t especially mature, a lot of it is a bit too abstract for kids to really appreciate. That’s not to say that kids can’t enjoy abstract humor, as I laughed my ass off at Spongebob when I was little (and I still do now), but Anderson’s film has such a peculiarly dry delivery that a lot of children just won’t truly get. Also, I was a bit confused by just how many differences there were in it compared to the original book, not to mention how they’re tonally very different. Also, there was like two times when Willem Dafoe Rat said that Meryl Streep Fox was a slut back in the day. So there’s that. Anyway, to make a long answer short, I don’t think it’s really a kids film. Also, I agree that I don’t see French Dispatch getting any acting nominations based on that trailer. As of now, there doesn’t appear to be a main character, and while all the actors looked good in the trailer, there didn’t seem to be any one particular stand out. However, that doesn’t mean there isn’t a standout performance. When I saw the trailer for Three Billboards, I didn’t think Sam Rockwell looked like a particularly big standout (the trailer included some of the extremely showy window scene, but it was all quick enough that it didn’t even register that it was him), but he turned out to be one and won an Oscar, so who knows, maybe there’s an incredible Oscar worthy turn in the film that we just haven’t seen enough of yet. From what I’ve seen so far, I would guess McDormand has the best chance of the women and Murray has the best chance of the men, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m wrong about that.

they will probably get some acting noms at the globes and it will be the end from there

Profile picture
    estrelasdealgeruz
    Topics:

When you guys talk about Best Casting, are you talking about Casting Director or Ensemble (like at SAG)?

Profile picture
    estrelasdealgeruz
    Topics:

Best Ensemble and Voice Acting Oscars are so not a good idea, imagine the people who will end up Oscar winners.

I totally agree with you on Ensemble being a terrible idea. Voice acting i wouldn’t oppose tbh.

Profile picture
    BICTH
    Topics:

I’ll get behind the idea of an ensemble category if a committee chooses which cast members would get the nomination

Profile picture
    RealLyre852
    Topics:

Jessica Chastain: “355” Sebastian Stan: “355” Diane Kruger: “355” 

355 is being dumped in January and it’s the 2nd film from Kinberg (director of Dark Phoenix), it has a great diverse cast (Chastain,Lupita, Penélope Cruz, fan binging and diane kruger.  but it’s just a female lead action film so it screams Charlies Angels 2.0

Profile picture
    RealLyre852
    Topics:

Jessica Chastain might have a shot in The Eyes of Tammy Faye (a Fox Searchlight biopic starring Chastain & Andrew Garfield)

Profile picture
    lady_bird
    Topics:

Would love for a Michelle Williams/Jessica Chastain come back in the awards season.

Profile picture
    BICTH
    Topics:

Jessica Chastain might have a shot in The Eyes of Tammy Faye (a Fox Searchlight biopic starring Chastain & Andrew Garfield)

look up some set photos, that film is not happening

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I get what you mean about Fantastic Mr. Fox. I enjoyed it enough when I was a kid, but I didn’t really get it. In all honesty, I don’t think it should be seen as a kid’s film. The character and arc of the title role is something that kids can’t relate to, as his problem and development are really only applicable to adults. And while the film’s humor isn’t especially mature, a lot of it is a bit too abstract for kids to really appreciate. That’s not to say that kids can’t enjoy abstract humor, as I laughed my ass off at Spongebob when I was little (and I still do now), but Anderson’s film has such a peculiarly dry delivery that a lot of children just won’t truly get. Also, I was a bit confused by just how many differences there were in it compared to the original book, not to mention how they’re tonally very different. Also, there was like two times when Willem Dafoe Rat said that Meryl Streep Fox was a slut back in the day. So there’s that. Anyway, to make a long answer short, I don’t think it’s really a kids film.

I agree with this. And just to be clear I’m not saying Fantastic Mr. Fox is a bad movie, just that I didn’t like it as a kid. I’ll bet if I saw it now I’d like it a lot more.

Academy-Award winners:

Parasite: Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay

Joker: Best Actor - Joaquin Phoenix

Jojo Rabbit: Best Adapted Screenplay

Profile picture
    Tooner
    Topics:

looks up some set photos, that film is not happening

i thought it was a horror movie at first

Profile picture
    RealLyre852
    Topics:

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/maggie-gyllenhaal-lost-daughter-cast-jessie-buckley-olivia-colman-dakota-johnson-1203451085/

Olivia Colman Leads All-Star Cast for Maggie Gyllenhaal’s directorial debut, Maggie Gyllenhaal has tapped Oscar-winner Olivia Colman, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley and Peter Sarsgaard to star in the feature adaptation of “The Lost Daughter.”

this is probably for next year.

Profile picture
    Luke Dias
    Topics:

I see The Eyes of Tammy Faye being mostly an Adapted Screenplay bid. The makeup may look horrible, but it being from Michael Showalter (Hello My Name is Doris and The Big Sick), as well as a Searchlight release, inspires SOME confidence. Right now though, I think the only acting award it has any shot at is Supporting Actress for Cherry Jones, and even that is more because of her high pedigree in TV and theater.

Profile picture
    Matthew anzalone
    Topics:

I just did my golden globe predictions for next year and I have the french dispatch leading the most nominations with 6. But what I find the most interesting is that all 5 best picture drama nominated movies have 4 nominations each.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 517 total)

The topic ‘Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.