Home Forums Movies Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)

Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 521 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
( +12 hidden )
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
CateNicole
estrelasdealg..
  • CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1228234688654798849?s=20 Booksmart filmmaker Olivia Wilde is set to direct Kerri Strug biopic Perfect, The film, based on the book Landing On My Feet, A Diary Of Dreams by Strug and John P. Lopez, tells the true story of the gymnast’s triumph against the odds to win Team USA’s first gold medal at the 1996 Olympics. Strug was hailed as an American hero when she completed her final vault at the Atlanta games on a badly injured ankle to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat The partners will likely be hoping for a similar trajectory to well-received 2017 sports movie I, Tonya, which scored breakout box office and multiple Oscar nominations.

Out of all the gymnasts to choose from… Nadia Comaneci, Olga Korbut, Elena Mukhina, Dominique Dawes, Svetlana Khorkina… okay…

BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

Out of all the gymnasts to choose from… Nadia Comaneci, Olga Korbut, Elena Mukhina, Dominique Dawes, Svetlana Khorkina… okay…

you do realize there’s a very obvious reason 4 of the 5 women you listed would probably never get a hollywood film made about them, right?…

null

CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

I have to say I am not familiar with the story, but for some reason I immediately thought of Joey King for the role. If the script is good, I feel like she could go far.

It’s really not the most interesting. She didn’t even need to do the famous second vault; they had the score to win. Methinks Wilde is excited about that one particular moment and it’s clouding her judgment about what is a good story to tell…there are loads of gymnasts with way better stories than Strug.

CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

you do realize there’s a very obvious reason 4 of the 5 women you listed would probably never get a hollywood film made about them, right?…

That’s not true. Olga Korbut was the biggest star of the 1972 Olympics, and Nadia of the 1976 Olympics. Just because you weren’t around then doesn’t mean they aren’t recognizable figures.

Also, there are countless of US gymnasts with more exciting stories: Vanessa Atler, Shannon Miller, Dominique Moceanu, Christy Henrich…I could go on.

BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

Just because you weren’t around then doesn’t mean they aren’t recognizable figures.

I’ll admit to not recognizing any of those names but that’s not where I was getting at

CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ll admit to not recognizing any of those names but that’s not where I was getting at

I suppose the anti-communist ties–and by extension, anti-Trump ties–are strong, if that’s what you’re suggesting. But I feel like Parasite is proving Hollywood is looking past nationality and is examining story, regardless of where it’s unfolding.

reputationsgrammy
    Participant
    Topics:

Calling No Time to Die a lock for the win in February is ….. a choice.

Honestly, if it’s a reallllllllllly weak year for Original Songs, I could maybe see a possibility of it MAYBE winning. But it’s important to keep in mind that the AMPAS are a lot more snobby than the Recording Academy, so I wouldn’t be predicting her victory a year in advance just because she swept the Grammys.

delusional swifties grab back! women grab back!

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Calling No Time to Die a lock for the win in February is ….. a choice.

Honestly, if it’s a reallllllllllly weak year for Original Songs, I could maybe see a possibility of it MAYBE winning. But it’s important to keep in mind that the AMPAS are a lot more snobby than the Recording Academy, so I wouldn’t be predicting her victory a year in advance just because she swept the Grammys.

It’s early, but she’s already a serious contender if only because the last two Bond themes won.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, she didn’t ruin His Dark Materials with a tacky performance.

Yeah, and she also didn’t create the most beloved theatre piece of the 21st century.

abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

No Time To Die is a fine song. Better than Writing’s On The Wall (not really hard to beat) but no where near as good as Skyfall.

Faux architect
    Participant
    Topics:

Why such an early release for Emma? It looks baity and had good reception. The Academy will undoubtedly forget it.

Pantheon of acting: Uta / Elizabeth / Richard / Sandy (Virginia Woolf), Bibi / Liv (Persona), Sandrine (La Ceremonie), Brie (Short Term 12), Jodie (Silence of the Lambs), Jodie (Killing Eve), Eva (Penny Dreadful), Timothée (CMBYN), Lupita (Us)

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

No Time To Die is a fine song. Better than Writing’s On The Wall(not really hard to beat) but no where near as good as Skyfall.

Skyfall unfortunately set an extremely high bar for Bond films in all categories. Spectre was alright, but couldn’t live up to it in any of those departments.

Matthew Porter
    Participant
    Topics:

Lin Manuel Miranda could get his EGOT if he wins for an In The Heights song, also something to keep in mind. No Time to Die is fine, but it’s not amazing.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Lin Manuel Miranda could get his EGOT if he wins for an In The Heights song, also something to keep in mind. No Time to Die is fine, but it’s not amazing.

If that happens, Miranda will also get the even rarer PEGOT, due to her Pulitzer Prize win.

Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think No Time to Die was ever going to beat Skyfall, nor was it meant to. That song set such an absurdly high bar for Bond themes after it that it might never be topped.

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 521 total)

The topic ‘Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.