Home Forums Movies Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)

Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 517 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
CateNicole
estrelasdealg..
  • Faux architect
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t even talk about The Prom flopping. I need Nicole to win a second Oscar. This is personal now.

Pantheon of acting: Uta / Elizabeth / Richard / Sandy (Virginia Woolf), Bibi / Liv (Persona), Sandrine (La Ceremonie), Brie (Short Term 12), Jodie (Silence of the Lambs), Jodie (Killing Eve), Eva (Penny Dreadful), Timothée (CMBYN), Lupita (Us)

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Jessica Chastain and Eddie Redmayne. 

Hearing their names together reminded me of this cancer:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/nbc/status/818303923438034944?lang=en

Probably one of the weaker award show bits in the last couple of years, which is really saying something.

lady_bird
    Participant
    Topics:

https://deadline.com/2020/02/the-good-nurse-filmnation-boards-eddie-redmayne-jessica-chastain-thriller-for-efm-1202860754/ FilmNation has boarded sales on hot project The Good Nurse, starring Jessica Chastain and Eddie Redmayne. Based on the book by Charles Graeber and scripted by 1917 scribe Krysty Wilson-Cairns, Tobias Lindholm (The Hunt 2012) is set to make his English-language feature directing debut. for those who were asking for more Chastain roles.

Chastain really coming for that Oscar

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

More musicals is always a good thing. They’ve been going extinct for so long, it’s time they made a comeback (as long as they’re not Cats). On each film: * I’m VERY skeptical about West Side Story since I’m of the firm belief that remaking a Best Picture winner is taboo (e.g. All the King’s Men), but I trust Spielberg’s involvement enough to know it’ll be good, and I’m hoping for some acting nominations (both for diversity’s sake and to give Ansel Elgort a bit of a break). * In the Heights, with its early release date, will probably be this year’s Rocketman. Which is fine personally, since all I want is for Lin-Manuel to win his MacPEGOT already. * The Prom is an oddity, and it’s the most likely to fail critically. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if Meryl got her 22nd nod, especially with its late release date.

I agree that In the Heights could be this year’s Rocketman. I think it’ll do well at the Globes, but outside of Original Song nominations it’ll struggle at the smother ceremonies. I believe West Side Story could either do really well, or be somewhat of a bust. What’s not in doubt is that film will do really well financially. There’s not a doubt in my mind about that. As for The Prom, I think the only way Streep gets nominated is if they pushed her down to supporting. It wouldn’t be the first time she’s played a character nominated for a leading Tony but gets pushed in supporting for the film (Into the Woods). However, I can only see her getting in if it’s a weak field. The Prom’s not really a bad musical, but it’s no a particularly good one either. It’s really not the Oscar’s cup of tea.

Don’t even talk about The Prom flopping. I need Nicole to win a second Oscar. This is personal now.

Sorry, but you’re gonna be disappointed. Kidman’s role isn’t even a particularly strong one. I closely followed the Tonys last year, and Angie Schworer who originated Kidman’s role was pretty much a nonentity in the Featured Actress discussion, and ended up not getting a single nomination.

If any supporting actress in a musical is going to get nominated, my money’s on Ariana DeBose. She’s playing the very popular role of Anita in West Side Story, a role that’s already won an both an Oscar and a Tony, and DeBose is a very talented performer, so I’m sure she’s gonna be a standout. Also, it seems like she might become a rising star shortly. The fact that The Prom cast her to replace Ariana Grande says something, as they probably realized West Side Story could get her a lot of recognition that they could capitalize on.

I could also see David Alvarez getting some recognition for West Side Story. George Chakiris won an Oscar for playing Bernardo, so maybe Alvarez (already a Tony winner for playing the title role in Billy Elliot) could get into the conversation. Also, from what I hear, this film is doing America akin to the original movie, where Bernardo (who never gets a number to himself in the stage show) gets the help lead it alongside Anita (although she gets the most solo lines in it). The perfect rendition of that number definitely helped Chakiris win, and it could help Alvarez when it comes to the nominations, as its the definition of a showstopper.

Matthew anzalone
    Participant
    Topics:

There is zero doubts in my mind, she will win an another oscar but I dont think its gonna be for the prom. I dont think she will be even nominated for the prom (I have her atleast getting a globe nomination)

M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

Because of her Cold Mountain costar?

lady_bird
    Participant
    Topics:

I need Kidman to get her 5th Oscar nod. The girl should’ve had like 6-8 noms already.

Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

https://deadline.com/2020/02/the-good-nurse-filmnation-boards-eddie-redmayne-jessica-chastain-thriller-for-efm-1202860754/

FilmNation has boarded sales on hot project The Good Nurse, starring Jessica Chastain and Eddie Redmayne.

Based on the book by Charles Graeber and scripted by 1917 scribe Krysty Wilson-Cairns, Tobias Lindholm (The Hunt 2012) is set to make his English-language feature directing debut.

for those who were asking for more Chastain roles.

I doubt this is contending for Oscars in 2021, but I’ll be happy to add it in my 2022 predictions. Sounds very awards-friendly, and I can’t wait to have Chastain back in the game. (She probably shouldn’t be written off yet this year either though for that Tammy Faye movie.)

BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

she needs to get that rosalind franklin play adapted into a movie asap

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I currently get the feeling that if Close or Adams go lead (Close currently sounds more likely to do so), then the one in supporting will win, but if both go supporting, their respective overdue narratives will cause a vote split and then Saoirse Ronan will win.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Two supporting actresses from the same movie doesn’t automatically cause a split. I can’t see Ronan winning yet, her nominations are just extremely similar to Winslet’s who won on her 8th nod. Close can pull off a Melissa Leo if she has the stronger performance (she’s the one with the juicier material in the books).

Maybe, if one of them won, it’d probably be Close. But I still can’t help but think if it’s a similar situation to Pacino and Pesci this year and there’s no critical consensus on who’s better, then a vote split seems very real. And just because it took Winslet forever to win doesn’t mean the same thing will happen to Ronan.

Tooner
    Participant
    Topics:

I doubt Saoirse is winning anytime soon. She’ll have to wait until her 6-8 nom and then she’ll get her lifetime Oscar!(in the form of Best Supporting Actress as that’s what that award is at this point ). But frankly I really hope that when Saoirse wins it’s for a leading role and with how overdue Adams and Close are I’m pretty sure whoever goes supporting is winning.

fefface
    Participant
    Topics:

If any supporting actress in a musical is going to get nominated, my money’s on Ariana DeBose. She’s playing the very popular role of Anita in West Side Story, a role that’s already won an both an Oscar and a Tony, and DeBose is a very talented performer, so I’m sure she’s gonna be a standout. Also, it seems like she might become a rising star shortly. The fact that The Prom cast her to replace Ariana Grande says something, as they probably realized West Side Story could get her a lot of recognition that they could capitalize on. I could also see David Alvarez getting some recognition for West Side Story. George Chakiris won an Oscar for playing Bernardo, so maybe Alvarez (already a Tony winner for playing the title role in Billy Elliot) could get into the conversation. Also, from what I hear, this film is doing America akin to the original movie, where Bernardo (who never gets a number to himself in the stage show) gets the help lead it alongside Anita (although she gets the most solo lines in it). The perfect rendition of that number definitely helped Chakiris win, and it could help Alvarez when it comes to the nominations, as its the definition of a showstopper.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  fefface.
    Matthew anzalone
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the possibility of Ronan winning is high (especially if both Adams and Close). They should be seprated to prevent vote splitting unless they want to follow the favorite women and the irishmen in the supporting categories.

I already have a prediction whos winning the musical or comedy globes. Bill murray (on the rocks) for actor, Rachel zeiger (west side story) for actress, and The french dispatch winning picture.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

At least have the courtesy to put a spoiler warning on this. Or just don’t mention it. I was interested in that movie and I don’t want to hear that.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 517 total)

The topic ‘Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.