Home Forums Movies Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)

Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 517 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
CateNicole
estrelasdealg..
  • thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Wash your mouth.

Romeo and Juliet aren’t particularly interesting characters and the same goes for West Side Story incarnations. I say that as a huge fan of the show. Their characters are based almost entirely around their love for each other, while Anita, Bernardo, and Riff are all much more interesting despite being clearly smaller, and getting to do much less singing (it helps that they get to do amazing dancing, which Tony and Maria don’t get to do). Same thing goes for the original story where Mercutio, Tybalt, and Juliet’s Nurse all feel more engaging. Ingenues are rarely all that interesting unless if they subvert the usual stereotypes of the role.

CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

I will borrow it to stick it up your ass

You do realize your disrespect of Aretha Franklin’s legacy and the milestones she achieved for Black performers, coupled with the fact that you continually place white actresses on a pedestal and your username is “Blanche,” which means “white,” seems a little prejudiced…

CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

Romeo and Juliet aren’t particularly interesting characters and the same goes for West Side Story incarnations. I say that as a huge fan of the show. Their characters are based almost entirely around their love for each other, while Anita, Bernardo, and Riff are all much more interesting despite being clearly smaller, and getting to do much less singing (it helps that they get to do amazing dancing, which Tony and Maria don’t get to do). Same thing goes for the original story where Mercutio, Tybalt, and Juliet’s Nurse all feel more engaging. Ingenues are rarely all that interesting unless if they subvert the usual stereotypes of the role.

I think you just haven’t seen a good production of Romeo and Juliet lol. Juliet has some of Shakespeare’s greatest soliloquies, one of which involves her basically orgasming at the thought of Romeo. Romeo is literally driven mad to the point of being merry upon seeing his lover dead. They are fantastic roles. You’ve probably just seen very uninspired actors in the roles.

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

I think you just haven’t seen a good production of Romeo and Juliet lol. Juliet has some of Shakespeare’s greatest soliloquies, one of which involves her basically orgasming at the thought of Romeo. Romeo is literally driven mad to the point of being merry upon seeing his lover dead. They are fantastic roles. You’ve probably just seen very uninspired actors in the roles.

Quite frankly, no movie adaptation captured how intense and extreme the emotions of Romeo and Juliet get. Playing it as a straight love story is a coward’s road. Playing it like a Shakespeare tragedy – let’s say a Richard III or a Hamlet where there’s so much inner turmoil and chaos – while it is over something seen as more trivial but is actually more meaningful? Now THAT is how you get something out of that play.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Parasite

CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

Quite frankly, no movie adaptation captured how intense and extreme the emotions of Romeo and Juliet get. Playing it as a straight love story is a coward’s road. Playing it like a Shakespeare tragedy – let’s say a Richard III or a Hamlet where there’s so much inner turmoil and chaos – while it is over something seen as more trivial but is actually more meaningful? Now THAT is how you get something out of that play.

Exaaaactly. Until Mercutio’s death in Act III, the play is a comedy. It might end in a wedding, if it weren’t for the prologue which says the actors are bound to die. Romeo and Juliet are onstage together for, what, 3 scenes? It’s not really about them together. The play falls flat when it’s like that.

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

Exaaaactly. Until Mercutio’s death in Act III, the play is a comedy. It might end in a wedding, if it weren’t for the prologue which says the actors are bound to die. Romeo and Juliet are onstage together for, what, 3 scenes? It’s not really about them together. The play falls flat when it’s like that.

Love is to Romeo and Juliet what handkerchiefs are to Othello or daggers are to Macbeth – more of a vehicle to drive the characters to their tragic fates by overemphasising their fatal flaws than a theme in and of itself.

God, I love good Shakespeare adaptations and could go on about them for hours. Hell, I went to the Globe and watched Richard III and that was god damn amazing. Hoping Macbeth this year delivers.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Parasite

Snow
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t see Ronan winning yet, her nominations are just extremely similar to Winslet’s who won on her 8th nod.

Interesting is that it took Winslet 13 years to win after her first nomination, and next year will be Saoirse’s 13 years gap after her first.

Octavia Spencer rules

lady_bird
    Participant
    Topics:

Funny but when you think about it, Winslet has never been the best in her category for any of her nomination. 13y isn’t haft of the time Al Pacino had to wait to finally get his due, moreover she was overdue mostly because of the number of nominations, not the quality of her performances.

I thought she should have won for Sense and Sensibility and can’t decide who’s the best between her, Catalina Sandino Moreno, and Vera Drake for 2004. She would have gotten my vote easily had she been nominated for Revolutionary Road instead of The Reader.

DevonshireGold
    Participant
    Topics:

Could Untitled Fred Hampton Project be a contender? Used to be called Jesus Is My Homeboy. Seems like great roles for Lakeith Stanfield in Lead and Daniel Kaluuya in Supporting.

“Shaka King is directing the story that follows the rise and demise of Hampton as seen through the eyes of William O’Neal, a criminal who cut a deal with the FBI to infiltrate the Panthers. O’Neal helped create rifts within the organization, kept tabs on Hampton and, when the time came, drugged the 21-year old activist on the night of the raid, which ultimately saw officers gun him down.”

Very possible it’ll be this year’s Queen & Slim though and get decent box office but no awards love.

Blanche
    Participant
    Topics:

You do realize your disrespect of Aretha Franklin’s legacy and the milestones she achieved for Black performers, coupled with the fact that you continually place white actresses on a pedestal and your username is “Blanche,” which means “white,” seems a little prejudiced…

There is literally no disrespect. Freddie Mercury being bigger than Aretha Franklin and Judy Garland’s life being more known in Hollywood are facts.
    Since when praising white actresses is supposed to be bad? You literally praise Nicole Kidman and Cate Blanchett all the time. I’m not getting there just to entertain your boring ass.
    And Blanche, as you obviously know, comes from Vivien Leigh’s character in A Streetcar Named Desire whom I had as my profile picture for like a year, which you also know, so stop being so twisted and coming up with dumb shit please.

Last.fm: https://www.last.fm/es/user/Into_You

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I think you just haven’t seen a good production of Romeo and Juliet lol. Juliet has some of Shakespeare’s greatest soliloquies, one of which involves her basically orgasming at the thought of Romeo. Romeo is literally driven mad to the point of being merry upon seeing his lover dead. They are fantastic roles. You’ve probably just seen very uninspired actors in the roles.

Fair enough, but practically every version I’ve seen of the story plays the roles as too lovey dovey, and then they get overshadowed by the supporting players. Like I said, ingenues can be interesting when they’re subverted, but seemingly every actor playing Romeo and Juliet try to play them straight.

It’s funny to think that they’re the most famous of Shakespeare’s couples. Beatrice and Benedick are in my opinion, by far his best written romance. They’re hilarious, play off each other excellently, already have chemistry before the show starts, they don’t let their love for each other define themselves, Beatrice is willing to give up her feelings for her cousin, Benedick is willing to go against his friend for his feelings, and so on. It’s honestly a shame that some people claim Romeo and Juliet is the greatest love story ever when Much Ado About Nothing is right there.

Bird
    Participant
    Topics:

Could Untitled Fred Hampton Project be a contender? Used to be called Jesus Is My Homeboy. Seems like great roles for Lakeith Stanfield in Lead and Daniel Kaluuya in Supporting.

“Shaka King is directing the story that follows the rise and demise of Hampton as seen through the eyes of William O’Neal, a criminal who cut a deal with the FBI to infiltrate the Panthers. O’Neal helped create rifts within the organization, kept tabs on Hampton and, when the time came, drugged the 21-year old activist on the night of the raid, which ultimately saw officers gun him down.”

Very possible it’ll be this year’s Queen & Slim though and get decent box office but no awards love.

I’ve been considering it. The story of Fred Hampton is primed for a film adaptation and I think showing the film through the eyes of William O’Neil is a great choice. Also, the talent in front of the camera seems legit. However, I try to make my early predictions based on who’s behind the camera, which is where my hesitation comes in.

Shaka King has done some TV (Shrill; High Maintenance) and a film called “Newlyweeds”. None of which inspires much confidence. Will Berson, Shaka’s cowriter, also has an IMDB that’s lacking. Mainly TV, and nothing in over a decade.

There does seem to be some confidence in the project though. Charles King is one of the Producers, and he’s been attached to quite a few Oscar contenders and critically acclaimed films in the last few years (Fences; Mudbound; Sorry to Bother You). Also, Sean Bobbit is the cinematographer, and he’s wildly overdue for an Oscar Nomination (12 Years a Slave; Shame; The Place Beyond the Pines).

I think I might predict it for a few categories. Daniel Kaluuya and cinematography. Maybe Lakeith Stanfield and screenplay. Fred Hampton deserves a great film, so hopefully it turns out well, but I am slightly pessimistic.

CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

There is literally no disrespect. Freddie Mercury being bigger than Aretha Franklin and Judy Garland’s life being more known in Hollywood are facts. Since when praising white actresses is supposed to be bad? You literally praise Nicole Kidman and Cate Blanchett all the time. I’m not getting there just to entertain your boring ass. And Blanche, as you obviously know, comes from Vivien Leigh’s character in A Streetcar Named Desire whom I had as my profile picture for like a year, which you also know, so stop being so twisted and coming up with dumb shit please.

Aretha Franklin sang at Obama’s inauguration which many young students watched during school at the time, including me. I don’t think it’s a fact that they’re “bigger.” It’s pointless debating it, but you should really read this article on the Queen of Soul. She offered to pay Angela Davis’ bail! Respect was a civil rights anthem! And everyone recognizes that song. Just as anyone recognizes Somewhere Over the Rainbow and We Are the Champions. https://time.com/5369587/aretha-franklin-civil-rights/

There’s nothing wrong with praising white actresses, but I never see you praising black actresses. And so all of these things mixed together do make me question you honestly, I’m not bs-ing just to start drama for no reason.

tsc
    Participant
    Topics:

What are The Good Nurse’s chances for the upcoming award seasons?

DevonshireGold
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve been considering it. The story of Fred Hampton is primed for a film adaptation and I think showing the film through the eyes of William O’Neil is a great choice. Also, the talent in front of the camera seems legit. However, I try to make my early predictions based on who’s behind the camera, which is where my hesitation comes in. Shaka King has done some TV (Shrill; High Maintenance) and a film called “Newlyweeds”. None of which inspires much confidence. Will Berson, Shaka’s cowriter, also has an IMDB that’s lacking. Mainly TV, and nothing in over a decade. There does seem to be some confidence in the project though. Charles King is one of the Producers, and he’s been attached to quite a few Oscar contenders and critically acclaimed films in the last few years (Fences; Mudbound; Sorry to Bother You). Also, Sean Bobbit is the cinematographer, and he’s wildly overdue for an Oscar Nomination (12 Years a Slave; Shame; The Place Beyond the Pines). I think I might predict it for a few categories. Daniel Kaluuya and cinematography. Maybe Lakeith Stanfield and screenplay. Fred Hampton deserves a great film, so hopefully it turns out well, but I am slightly pessimistic.

I with you on Shaka – might do a fantastic job on this but hasn’t been building cred in festivals like Greta Gerwig and Barry Jenkins before they got nominated. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ryan Coogler who’s producing is brought out to promote. Needs a very good

Thinking again about Lakeith, it seems hard for that sort of character (cowardly, treacherous) to get Best Actor love so I’m going to go for Daniel in Supporting, Cinematography, Original Screenplay, and maybe Costumes or Hair & Makeup.

EDIT: Damn, just seen it has an August release date. Original Screenplay and maaayyyybe Supporting Actor then.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 517 total)

The topic ‘Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.