Home Forums Movies Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)

Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 517 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
CateNicole
estrelas
  • Profile picture
    Matthew anzalone
    Topics:

So that’s what I’ve got at the moment. Out of these eleven, I guess I can picture Mank, West Side Story, Hillbilly Elegy, Stillwater or Red, White and Water winning. Maybe. But none of these stands out as a best picture winner in my mind. What do you guys think? Did I miss something?

Normadland comes to mind. Its from searchlight picture. I dont know about its best picture chances but Mcdormand is an contender in actress. And considering that everytime shes been nominated (including the globes and the oscars), the movie has been nominated for best picture. I wont underestimate this movie in terms of nominations.

Profile picture
    Nicco
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>What do you think about The Last Duel directed by Ridley Scott?  May it be an other “gladiator”? I didn’t like that movie but it was liked by the Academy.  And this one seems an epic close to that one.</p>

Profile picture
    Luke Dias
    Topics:

“The Last Duel” could go either way. No doubt it’ll have Scott flexing his directing muscles again, but whether or not it’ll be good is subject to debate given Scott’s somewhat spotty record, especially recently. I also see two factors that could pull the film in either direction. On one hand, the plot revolves around a rape accusation spiraling out of control and resulting in a fight to the death, which may not sit well for the Academy. On the other hand, the film has an inclusion rider and be the first time since Good Will Hunting that Damon (who I am currently stanning for a Best Actor win) and Affleck have teamed up to write a script.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

“The Last Duel” could go either way. No doubt it’ll have Scott flexing his directing muscles again, but whether or not it’ll be good is subject to debate given Scott’s somewhat spotty record, especially recently. I also see two factors that could pull the film in either direction. On one hand, the plot revolves around a rape accusation spiraling out of control and resulting in a fight to the death, which may not sit well for the Academy. On the other hand, the film has an inclusion rider and be the first time since Good Will Hunting that Damon (who I am currently stanning for a Best Actor win) and Affleck have teamed up to write a script.

TLD also has a female screenwriter and is seemingly being written from the perspective of all three main characters.

Even if they handle it well it may be that the subject matter is just too spiky, but it may get acting and screenplay nods.

Profile picture
    mansos
    Topics:

My gut feeling right now is that The Last Duel is gonna be a disaster. I don’t have faith in Ridley Scott, Damon or Affleck handling the subject matter well. However, I do trust Nicole Holofcener and I would like to think that Comer and Driver are smart enough not to do the project if the writers/director didn’t handle it well.

But yeah, jury’s still out on this one. Some below the line nominations, sure, and maybe something for Driver and Comer. But the thought of Matt Damon potentially riding around with a fake french accent is giving me nightmares.

Profile picture
    BenitoDelicias
    Topics:

Normadland comes to mind. Its from searchlight picture. I dont know about its best picture chances but Mcdormand is an contender in actress. And considering that everytime shes been nominated (including the globes and the oscars), the movie has been nominated for best picture. I wont underestimate this movie in terms of nominations.

McDormand has nominations for North Country (not nominated for BP anywhere) and Almost Famous (not nominated for BP at the Oscars).

Profile picture
    supermalt
    Topics:

I can’t believe I heard people on this board say No time to die has the Oscar on lock. Just heard it now and it’s blander than the previous bond songs.

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

I can’t believe I heard people on this board say No time to die has the Oscar on lock. Just heard it now and it’s blander than the previous bond songs.

In the Heights is going to be great, feel good, make a lot of money, have a huge impact for young Latino/Latina/Latinx children. That being said, it probably won’t be a frontrunner for major categories, thus the Academy will want to award it with Best Original Song and give Lin his (P)EGOT.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

What strikes me is the fact that there doesn’t seem to be any frontrunners for potential Best picture winners as of right now. Just look at what we got: Tenet: Nolan hasn’t fared very well with the Oscars before, and I can’t really see them going for the kind of sci fi flick Tenet seems to be. Also, it’s very rare for a sci fi to win Best picture. The French Dispatch: Maaaybe, Budapest did quite well with the Academy, but a Wes Anderson film might be a little too out there for the voters. Plus, the early release date. Dune: Doubt it. The film would have to be something very very special to score a win, and especially coupled with the fact that this one is only going to adapt the first part of the book (right?) I can’t see it take home the Oscar. Wouldn’t be surprised if Dune is left out of all above the line categories. Hillbilly Elegy: Maybe. The book isn’t THAT strong (which may be irrelevant) and Ron Howard isn’t someone I put a lot of faith into. However, I predict there will be some strong acting in this one, and the film might end up bland in a way that the Academy seems to approve of. Da 5 Bloods: Hmm, we don’t know a lot about this one yet but as far as I know Spike is well liked among the voters. Sure he won for best adapted screenplay a couple of years ago but I could see the voters wanting to give him a win for Best picture too. However, I’m doubtful. Stillwater: Tom McCarthy is no stranger to Oscar wins and in my opinion, the story sounds quite interesting. But I feel we still know too little about this one. News of the World: I actually think this one could surprise come Oscar night. Just like Hillbilly, this one just sounds… bland. But then again, so was Green Book. And The King’s Speech. And so on and so on. Red, White and Water: I have some faith in this one, and wouldn’t be surprised if Jennifer Lawrence took home the statue for best actress. For best pic however? Yeaah, maybe… Mank: A biopic about a big figure of film history? That is definitely something the voters will be into, and will certainly not go home empty handed. Still, the Academy may still be warming up to Netflix, and that might hurt Mank’s chances. The Trial of the Chicago 7: Who knows, the subject matter might do very well on film, there’s real talent in front of the camera, but I’m having doubt of Sorkin as a director. Molly’s Game didn’t stand out, and we all know his real strength is as a screenwriter. West Side Story: Well, Spielberg is beloved and the original scored best picture. This one’s weakness though is the fact that it is a remake (or retelling or whatever). WSS won back in 1961, will the voters actually let the same story win again? So that’s what I’ve got at the moment. Out of these eleven, I guess I can picture Mank, West Side Story, Hillbilly Elegy, Stillwater or Red, White and Water winning. Maybe. But none of these stands out as a best picture winner in my mind. What do you guys think? Did I miss something?

That’s been the case the last several years in a row. If this year is anything like those last few years, we won’t have any idea which film will win until very close to the Oscar’s ceremony.

And of course the frontrunners always lose anyway, so none of these films really want to be a frontrunner.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    supermalt
    Topics:

Lin is so going to complete his PEGOT next year

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Just watched Billie Eilish performing No Time To Die for the first time at the BRITs. It was a really underwhelming performance. I though the song was ok at first but the performance was incredibly lacking. I don’t think she’s gonna win the Oscar and I think she could miss out on a nom (a la Beyoncé)

FYC Emmys-
    Limited-
    UNBELIEVABLE, Quiz, Years and Years, Defending Jacob in all Categories
    Merritt Wever, Toni Collette, Matthew Macfadyen, Emma Thompson, Chris Evans & Michelle Dockery

Drama-
    STRANGER THINGS, The Morning Show, Big Little Lies, The Crown, Killing Eve
    - Jennifer Aniston, VIOLA DAVIS, Jodie Comer, Sandra Oh, Nicole Kidman, Olivia Colman
    - FIONA SHAW, HBC

Comedy-
    SCHITTS CREEK, Dead to Me, Sex Education
    - Catherine O’Hara, Annie Murphy, Christina Applegate, Linda Ca

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Lin is so going to complete his PEGOT next year

Like he did in 2016?

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Of course nobody’s a lock in FEBRUARY but to think Lin is automatically happening cause he’s nearing an EGOT status when they denied Erivo for a previous winner just a few weeks ago is laughable.

Profile picture
    thatnerdgreg
    Topics:

Of course nobody’s a lock in FEBRUARY but to think Lin is automatically happening cause he’s nearing an EGOT status when they denied Erivo for a previous winner just a few weeks ago is laughable.

I agree it’s ridiculous to say anyone’s a lock right now, but Lin Manuel Miranda is far more famous, far more beloved, and a clearly better songwriter than Cynthia Erivo. I don’t think the comparison between them is valid.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

I agree it’s ridiculous to say anyone’s a lock right now, but Lin Manuel Miranda is far more famous, far more beloved, and a clearly better songwriter than Cynthia Erivo. I don’t think the comparison between them is valid.

He obviously is but that narrative was pushed for her to the highest heavens and she won nothing in the end. I’m saying he isn’t going to win JUST because he’s near the EGOT status. And I said it in previous pages, the industry is starting to love Billie and they might just want her to win because of the big year she’s had. Writing’s on the Wall is a 1000x more boring than the other Bond songs including No Time to Die but that didn’t stop Sam Smith so…

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 517 total)

The topic ‘Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.