Home Forums Movies Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)

Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 514 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
fefface
Dan Backslide
  • Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

even if nightmare alley and amsterdam are done by the end of the year, their distributors would probably want a full festival run to generate buzz, especially for amsterdam

Eh, both are so high profile that they wouldn’t need to play a ton of festivals to garner buzz. American Hustle didn’t and that picked up 10 nominations.

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

No. If it shows up at other festivals, hopefully it will get a distributor. I could see Neon scooping four good days up.

Probably not. Reviews weren’t good out of Sundance. Neon’s also usually super selective with what they pick up. Four Good Days will most likely go no where.

Profile picture
    BICTH
    Topics:

Eh, both are so high profile that they wouldn’t need to play a ton of festivals to garner buzz. American Hustle didn’t and that picked up 10 nominations.

guillermo can probably pull it off, I don’t think o’russell has the same draw he did back then

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

guillermo can probably pull it off, I don’t think o’russell has the same draw he did back then

Robbie, Bale, MBJ and probably a couple of other big names will be more than enough to generate buzz despite a potential late release. Both movies, if out this year, will be fine for nominations if they’re actually good. Wins, on the other hand, is a different story. Robbie seems like a good bet, though, as it seems like the Academy is just waiting to reward her.

Profile picture
    Bird
    Topics:

So ideal time for musicals to break out? Though that’s what they said when La La Land was gaining steam and we saw what happened.

Exactly. It swept the globes and won the best film at baftas (and won other awards im forgetting). The oscars went with a movie that has an strong social message. Im a fan of musicals and I would love to see another one win. Im just not sure this is the year for it (I do expect both west side story and in the heights to do well at the globes).

I don’t think the Oscars will shy away from movies with social messages, just movies in politics. I doubt they’ll want to reward a movie about a democratic convention in chaos, when we’re quite likely to have our own democratic convention in chaos this year.

As far as musicals go, I don’t think any of them will be strong enough to win this year. In The Heights is being released too early, especially for a musical. Too much time for people to get annoyed by the music if it’s a hit.

And West Side Story is a remake of an Oscar winning film. It’ll get nominated because it’s Spielberg, but remakes seem to be very limited when it comes to wins. I am curious to find out why Spielberg chose this project though. Does he just want to try out the musical genre with a classic musical or does he have a great idea to sort of reinvent the film for a 21st century audience?

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Robbie, Bale, MBJ and probably a couple of other big names will be more than enough to generate buzz despite a potential late release. Both movies, if out this year, will be fine for nominations if they’re actually good. Wins, on the other hand, is a different story. Robbie seems like a good bet, though, as it seems like the Academy is just waiting to reward her.

Robbie has become AMPAS default of late. Her movies don’t do well with audiences at all (even when they are supposed to, like BoP) but voters love her. She’s a good bet for another nom and another Oscar telecast ratings nose-dive.

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

Robbie has become AMPAS default of late. Her movies don’t do well with audiences at all (even when they are supposed to, like BoP) but voters love her. She’s a good bet for another nom and another Oscar telecast ratings nose-dive.

Huh? Birds of Prey is like the second movie she’s lead. I, Tonya being the first which was indeed a success and embraced by audiences. She’s only starred in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and The Wolf of Wall Street, which did well with audiences too. So yeah, that’s just a wrong opinion.

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

Amsterdam will probably be AFI.

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Ted Lasso

Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Huh? Birds of Prey is like the second movie she’s lead. I, Tonya being the first which was indeed a success and embraced by audiences. She’s only starred in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and The Wolf of Wall Street, which did well with audiences too. So yeah, that’s just a wrong opinion.

BoP is a flop and BOMB(shell) is well, title says it all, but she didn’t headline the latter. You are right about I,Tonya. It was a success with 53M global take on only 11M budget.

Profile picture
    MrOceanBlueEyes
    Topics:

BoP is a flop and BOMB(shell) is well, title says it all, but she didn’t headline the latter. You are right about I,Tonya. It was a success with 53M global take on only 11M budget.

BoP ‘flopped’ in the US only. Besides an R rating for a movie many believed was gonna be bad didn’t help it either, the movie had too much against it for it to actually do bigger numbers.

The academy is just waiting for her to have a better awards season to actually give her the statue.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

BoP flopped overseas big time and it isn’t even R over there. It’s a flop through and through.I don’t know what they were thinking when they greenlit that trash. It’s a crap movie, impossible to recommend. Robbie is good but she’s playing extremly annoying character so no wonder WOM isn’t good.

Profile picture
    Matthew anzalone
    Topics:

Amsterdam and Nightmare alley are still filming. Im not sure or confident in it being released in time for this award season. If it is, I will be putting these movies into my predictions. Until then, Im leaving them out.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

David O. Russell is really quick with postproduction of his movies. American Hustle wrapped up in May and was ready for December.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Amsterdam and Nightmare alley are still filming. Im not sure or confident in it being released in time for this award season. If it is, I will be putting these movies into my predictions. Until then, Im leaving them out.

Yeah something tells me that Amsterdam will be 2021. Sure he could work quickly but this season looks full already. I think he may hold it out for next season and run the full gauntlet.

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

Yeah something tells me that Amsterdam will be 2021. Sure he could work quickly but this season looks full already. I think he may hold it out for next season and run the full gauntlet.

This season doesn’t even seem that full, actually. Next season, though, looks potentially packed. I can’t see DOR finishing filming during the summer and holding off over a year to release it. He works fast, it’ll probably be out late this year.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 514 total)

The topic ‘Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.