Home Forums Movies Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)

Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 426 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
5 days ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
fefface
thatnerdgreg
  • fefface
    Participant
    Topics:

Does The Green Knight have a shot at anything? Or is it coming out too early in the year?

ReplyCopy URL
    Film expert
    Participant
    Topics:

David O. Russell is really quick with postproduction of his movies. American Hustle wrapped up in May and was ready for December.

Yeah but this film starts production only in April so add to this 3 months and it becomes much bigger task.

As to Nightmare Alley it ends filming at beginning of May. But it’s still to late imo. Guillermo has ususaly much longer post production on his films.

Either way even if they would both finish in time it would be still very late in the year release. They would miss all festival circus. When was last time movie debuting that late in year won big at Oscars? It was Clint years ago.

So is it even worth it?

ReplyCopy URL
    Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah but this film starts production only in April so add to this 3 months and it becomes much bigger task. As to Nightmare Alley it ends filming at beginning of May. But it’s still to late imo. Guillermo has ususaly much longer post production on his films. Either way even if they would both finish in time it would be still very late in the year release. They would miss all festival circus. When was last time movie debuting that late in year won big at Oscars? It was Clint years ago. So is it even worth it?

I mean, if it weren’t for the phenomenon that Parasite turned out to be, 1917 would have won Best Picture and Best Director.

ReplyCopy URL
    Film expert
    Participant
    Topics:

Would, could, should etc. Didn’t happen.

ReplyCopy URL
    gorman
    Participant
    Topics:

Does The Green Knight have a shot at anything? Or is it coming out too early in the year?

I’d be quite surprised. It’s May release date and the general feel of the film make me think it’ll be a summer hit with the specific A24 target audience but won’t be an Awards player.

A24 also has a hectic looking slate and if I were to guess I’d say their focus will be on Minari, C’mon C’mon, Macbeth, On the Rocks and Red, White and Water all before The Green Knight. Even then their slate looks too packed and if they’re wise they’ll whittle it down to one or two major players from those 5.

I think the best The Green Knight can hope for Oscars-wise is a lone Cinematography nod a la The Lighthouse, but it looks like it’s going to be a fantastic film in another great year for A24 releases at least.

ReplyCopy URL
    tsc
    Participant
    Topics:

Robert Eggers, director of the Lighthouse, will direct The Northman, a Viking revenge movie. Do you think the movie can be nominated in the technical categories or will it be snubbed for being dark and violent?

ReplyCopy URL
    Matthew anzalone
    Participant
    Topics:

Robert Eggers, director of the Lighthouse, will direct The Northman, a Viking revenge movie. Do you think the movie can be nominated in the technical categories or will it be snubbed for being dark and violent?

Probaly snubbed. It seems like a movie the oscars would ignore. But it sounds good.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jason Lee
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like Next Goal Wins is being underestimated.

ReplyCopy URL
    loudtoilet
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like Next Goal Wins is being underestimated.

Eh? Does America even care about soccer? Also, Fassbender is a proven boxoffice poison. if Waititi couldn’t win for Holocaust movie, soccer movie is even less likely.

ReplyCopy URL
    fefface
    Participant
    Topics:

Eh? Does America even care about soccer? Also, Fassbender is a proven boxoffice poison. if Waititi couldn’t win for Holocaust movie, soccer movie is even less likely.

The Academy has nominated sports movies before and this has that great ‘underdog’ element. However it’s also a comedy, and that will probably hurt it everywhere other than the Globes.

ReplyCopy URL
    loudtoilet
    Participant
    Topics:

yeah I don’t see that one get further from filler GG nom if the year’s too weak in Comedy and they can’t find anything else.

ReplyCopy URL
    Matthew anzalone
    Participant
    Topics:

yeah I don’t see that one get further from filler GG nom if the year’s too weak in Comedy and they can’t find anything else.

This years comedy or musical categories are strong this year. theres no need for filler noms but at the same time I could see this movie appeal to the HFPA.

ReplyCopy URL
    loudtoilet
    Participant
    Topics:

well, BAFTA could include it in British Film line up.

ReplyCopy URL
    fefface
    Participant
    Topics:

This years comedy or musical categories are strong this year. theres no need for filler noms but at the same time I could see this movie appeal to the HFPA.

Yeah they could realistically fill Comedy/Musical with just musicals, though I imagine there will be a comedy or two in there.

ReplyCopy URL
    Matthew anzalone
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah they could realistically fill Comedy/Musical with just musicals, though I imagine there will be a comedy or two in there.

True. I have two comedies (The french dispatch and On the rocks) and three musicals (The prom, In the heights, and West side story) nominated right now.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 426 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.