Home Forums Movies Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)

Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 514 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
fefface
Dan Backslide
  • Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Lol! Driver isn’t more bankable than Affleck the fuckery. — Plus you put these two in a collage and most people would recognize Ben more.

Ben Affleck briefly made a good comeback due to his work as a director, but now he’s gone back to being a bit of a punchline. Adam Driver is one of the most respected actors working today and appearing as Kyle Ren has made him a huge name to general audiences. Affleck’s career has been a dumpster fire ever since he played Batman.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Affleck and Damon look awful tf

Adam looks fine but I still don’t have any expectation for this

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    LLLhawks
    Topics:

The premise of Wendy (Behn Zeitlin) sounds cool. But no buzz huh?

I just love movies. And awards.

Profile picture
    Luke Dias
    Topics:

I saw Wendy at Sundance. It’s not particularly good, plus it’s releasing tomorrow. Shame.

Profile picture
    Bird
    Topics:

I’ve only recently heard of Next Goal Wins and already I’m pretty excited. I don’t think it’ll get as far as Jojo did, but it should do fairly well. I think Fassbender might be the most likely shot, as the more lighthearted good guy role could be seen as him breaking typecasting (not to mention the overdue narrative he’s accumulated over the decade). I can’t say anything on Moss and Hammer without knowing the roles they play, although the former could develop an exposure narrative thanks to Shirley’s and The Invisible Man’s good reviews and The French Dispatch most definitely following suit. I am very curious, though, how they will treat Kaimana. The Academy will probably give Kaimana a nomination for #OscarsSoWhite ‘s sake, but here’s the thing: Kaimana is a fa’afafine, basically the Samoan version of a non-binary person. Of course, the Academy has never nominated a non-binary person before, and while the real-life person they’re playing apparently goes by female pronouns, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Academy will find itself in a rut on where to put them.

This type of question has come up before in television. The Emmy’s allowed Non-binary Actor Asia Kate Dillon to choose the category for which their role (for Billions) would be submitted. They chose Actor because the term is gender-neutral. They weren’t nominated though.

The Academy could do the same thing. It’s the safest route to take, I believe. Though, it will probably result in third-rate conservative actors trying to submit themselves to best actress “to own the libs”.

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

The Last Duel is looking so bad https://www.tmz.com/2020/02/27/ben-affleck-matt-damon-adam-driver-film-the-last-duel/

Adam Driver fits, but good lord what the fuck hahaha matt damon looks so out of place.

Adam Driver’s secret strength might be playing in period pieces like Silence.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

I saw Wendy at Sundance. It’s not particularly good, plus it’s releasing tomorrow. Shame.

wow that got dumped.

Profile picture
    Barbra please
    Topics:

Just saw The Invisible Man yesterday, oh boy, Elisabeth Moss is incredible. Her performance should be in the conversation more often, just like Toni Collette’s Hereditary.

Profile picture
    Maz
    Topics:

I think a lot of people are underestimating The Prom, especially Nicole Kidman in supporting actress and with Netflix backing it, it could have a strong showing next year at the Oscar . I don’t think the Academy is going to be rewarding West side story as it already has and with  In heights also in competition , only one out of the three will be embraced by the Academy

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

I think a lot of people are underestimating The Prom, especially Nicole Kidman in supporting actress and with Netflix backing it, it could have a strong showing next year at the Oscar . I don’t think the Academy is going to be rewarding West side story as it already has and with In heights also in competition , only one out of the three will be embraced by the Academy

No.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

This, but still Ben Affleck remains more bankable than two time Oscar loser Adam Floper, plus the fact that Affleck will always be more popular.

“tWo TiMe OsCaR lOsEr AdAm FlOpEr xD”

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Whoever insists that Affleck is more bankable than Driver is completely wrong. Driver has starred in nothing but successful films (even Rise of Skywalker still made 1 billion). Affleck has been in flop after flop after flop for the better part of the last decade. And none of his directorial efforts have been good since Argo. Yes Affleck has more Oscars, but that has no effect on whether or not the general public cares more about seeing Affleck or Driver in a new film. And right now they for sure care more about seeing Driver.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-Jung
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    Jays
    Topics:

Eh, I still think Affleck is more bankable. Definitely a more well known name among the general public than Driver is.

Profile picture
    DrewN92
    Topics:

I think a lot of people are underestimating The Prom, especially Nicole Kidman in supporting actress and with Netflix backing it, it could have a strong showing next year at the Oscar . I don’t think the Academy is going to be rewarding West side story as it already has and with In heights also in competition , only one out of the three will be embraced by the Academy

As much as I love Kidman and think she deserves way more nominations than 4, her role in The Prom is very minimal. Not showy by any means and not even that relevant of a character. I’d love them to fluff up her character from the Broadway script but even so I just don’t see it happening. Meryl’s role on the other hand is very hammy and showy so I wouldn’t be surprised if she is in the discussion, but I don’t really see The Prom as being as successful awards wise as In the Heights or West Side Story.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Whoever insists that Affleck is more bankable than Driver is completely wrong. Driver has starred in nothing but successful films (even Rise of Skywalker still made 1 billion). Affleck has been in flop after flop after flop for the better part of the last decade. And none of his directorial efforts have been good since Argo. Yes Affleck has more Oscars, but that has no effect on whether or not the general public cares more about seeing Affleck or Driver in a new film. And right now they for sure care more about seeing Driver.

TROS made over a billion because it’s Star Wars Saga. Driver or no Driver. He’s an added value but the main draw is the franchise/brand. I’d say that casting Affleck locked that Gone Girl would be a hit. The book was huge but that alone didn’t guarantee that movie would be. Lovely Bones was a huge literally phenom and absolutely flopped. I don’t think that Gone Girl starring Pike and another semi-known actor in the lead would have produced the same boxoffice result. Audience wanted to see Affleck’s shlong, not Joe Doe’s. And whether Driver is a draw or not could be only tested if he headlined something that wasn’t a brand or didn’t star a bigger name.

That said, Affleck switching roles has nothing to do with bankability of lack thereof so it’s a mute point.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 514 total)

The topic ‘Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.