Home Forums Movies Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)

Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 514 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
loudtoilet
fefface
thatnerdgreg
  • Profile picture
    Mickmack
    Topics:

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

BTW I think the early June release for Da 5 Bloods won’t hurt Lee in the long run.

A subsequent theatrical release may follow in the fall, to build an eventual buzz.

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

Trolls World Tour for Best Animated Feature?

FYC:
    AOTY: Fetch the Bolt Cutters or After Hours
    ROTY & SOTY: Blinding Lights & Don’t Start Now
    BNA: Megan Thee Stallion or Rina Sawayama
    Rap Album: RTJ4
    Pop Album: SAWAYAMA
    Rock Album: The New Abnormal
    R&B Performance: Do It

Profile picture
    The One And Only of Gold Derby.
    Topics:

Soul has that locked up if it releases.

Profile picture
    RealLyre852
    Topics:

FYI: IndieWire says Blonde (starring Ana De Armas) is 2021.

why am I getting flashbacks Dee Rees’s The Last Thing He Wanted which was slated for a 2019 awards run only to be dumped in January early this year.

Profile picture
    Ben Heath (Articufilm)
    Topics:

The fact that Netflix is showing Da 5 Bloods in June, could be seen as them dumping it, however, it probably will allow the movie to avoid the shuffle at the end of the year, where every week releases a new contender, and then they all cancel themselves out

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

It was supposed to premiere at Cannes but it won’t. Therefore June release date is not striking Cannes iron while it’s hot. It’s an odd date for an Oscar contender considering that Netflix has a bucketload of other contenders that will come out later and therefore dominate the season’s buzz. However, Hurt Locker was also an early bird so while stats don’t favor such releases anymore, anything is possible. I just don’t think that Vietnam is gonna have the same weight as Iraq had in 2009.

Was it premiering out of competition? Spike Lee was president of the Jury this year and therefore can’t show work in competition.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Probably unfinished, however, nothing can be said about its quality, but if it’s finished, then I can’t see it not being released at the end of 2020. Everything is up in the air at the moment though

They finished filming ages ago so unless the restrictions are preventing them from working in post I think it’s finished.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

The fact that Netflix is showing Da 5 Bloods in June, could be seen as them dumping it, however, it probably will allow the movie to avoid the shuffle at the end of the year, where every week releases a new contender, and then they all cancel themselves out

That’s a plausible strategy. But last year all of Netflix priorities got nominations across the board. Dolemite Is My Name wasn’t taken seriously by the Academy unfortunately…I still think this movie is going to be fine awards wise and get several nominations but I still find its release date a bit strange.

FYC Emmys:
    Jane Lapotaire, The Crown (Drama Guest Actress)
    Helena Bonham Carter, The Crown (Drama Supporting Actress)
    Josh O'Connor, The Crown (Drama Supporting Actor)
    Fiona Shaw, Killing Eve (Drama Supporting Actress)
    Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh, Killing Eve (Drama Actress)

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

why am I getting flashbacks Dee Rees’s The Last Thing He Wanted which was slated for a 2019 awards run only to be dumped in January early this year.

Unless it’s really as bad as TLHW was, I doubt they’ll dump it that early. Netflix probably realized that they had too many cards on the table, especially in regards to lead actress. I think Close and Adams will be in separate categories for Hillbilly Elegy, and Netflix is going to push both of them HARD for the win. They also have Viola Davis in Ma Rainey, but they probably know that she won’t be winning a second Oscar this soon so she won’t be win-competitive. I’m actually counting this as a vote of confidence for Armas. This probably means that she’s really great, and they don’t want her to bring down the chances of Close or Adams. They know full well that either of those ladies finally winning their Oscar is going to be a big DiCaprio-level moment, and I don’t think they want to bring any attention away from them.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Unless it’s really as bad as TLHW was, I doubt they’ll dump it that early. Netflix probably realized that they had too many cards on the table, especially in regards to lead actress. I think Close and Adams will be in separate categories for Hillbilly Elegy, and Netflix is going to push both of them HARD for the win. They also have Viola Davis in Ma Rainey, but they probably know that she won’t be winning a second Oscar this soon so she won’t be win-competitive. I’m actually counting this as a vote of confidence for Armas. This probably means that she’s really great, and they don’t want her to bring down the chances of Close or Adams. They know full well that either of those ladies finally winning their Oscar is going to be a big DiCaprio-level moment, and I don’t think they want to bring any attention away from them.

Apparently Blonde is very experimental and has almost no dialogue, so de Armas may be a harder sell than we anticipate.

Profile picture
    The2ndAvenger
    Topics:

Soul has that locked up if it releases.

I agree. If it doesn’t, it’s looking like Onward right now. There is no way Trolls will win.

"It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in an argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

The industry is pretty annoyed at Trolls right now lmao. Unless there’s really nothing else to nominate, I’m not even sure it makes the nominees.

Profile picture
    RealLyre852
    Topics:

apparently Da 5 Bloods was actually going to premiere at Cannes, but in the out of competition section.

And to tell you everything, he showed us a beautiful film he made with Netflix [Da 5 Bloods]. The pitch? A group of Afro-American Vietnam War veterans in their 70s who decide to go back there because they have one last thing to resolve. It makes you want to see it, doesn’t it? It was the surprise that he gave us and it should have marked Netflix’s return to the red carpet, Out of Competition of course. We were set for a fabulous Cannes.

Profile picture
    The One And Only of Gold Derby.
    Topics:

Also from a Cannes interview, they mentioned that The French Dispatch and Soul were very good.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 514 total)

The topic ‘Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.