Home Forums Movies Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 4)

Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 498 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
Nicco
Stank83
Magnus
  • Profile picture
    Nicco
    Topics:

When will you know what is going to happen to those movies that were meant to compete in Cannes? I mean when will you know if they’re going to be in London/Toronto for a 2020 release or if they’re coming out in 2021? We don’t even have a trailer yet. That’s bad.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

When will you know what is going to happen to those movies that were meant to compete in Cannes? I mean when will you know if they’re going to be in London/Toronto for a 2020 release or if they’re coming out in 2021? We don’t even have a trailer yet. That’s bad.

Why is it bad to not have a trailer for a movie that has no firm release date? Variety are claiming it’s likely now Cannes 2021 but when Sparks were doing press for their album a couple weeks back they said Toronto or Venice 2020. The studio has also been hinting that something is coming up soon. But if Carax decides he wants a Cannes premiere they will wait.

I’m sure if it’s firmed up that it will premiere this year then a trailer will follow soon after. The film is definitely finished.

Profile picture
    Cinephile
    Topics:

Cinematography:

– Tenet
    – Dune
    – Mank
    – The French Dispatch
    – Da 5 Bloods

Profile picture
    Magnus
    Topics:

Cinematography:

– Tenet
    – Dune
    – Mank
    – The French Dispatch
    – Da 5 Bloods

That’s my top 5 right now, with Dune winning

Profile picture
    m844
    Topics:

In the last 11 years since the beginning of the preferential ballot era, 7/11 Lead Actress Oscar winners have come from Best Picture nominees. The only 4 who haven’t were:

2011 Meryl Streep – The Iron Lady. I think she was 29 years overdue for her 2nd Lead Actress Oscar and 3rd Oscar overall, even if people didn’t really like the film. It also won Best Makeup.

2013 Cate Blanchett – Blue Jasmine. Many people consider this to be the best or one of the best Lead Actress Oscar winners of the decade, plus she’s very well respected in the industry with only one Supporting Actress Oscar from 9 years earlier.

2014 Julianne Moore – Still Alice. This was a very unusual win in that she had the only nomination for the film. However, she is a very well respected American actress who was very overdue as well.

2019 Renee Zellweger – Judy. Voters loved both Zellweger, who had only won one Supporting Actress Oscar 16 years earlier. They also loved that it was a tribute to Judy Garland, who never won an Oscar. The four Lead Actress Oscar winners before her all came from Best Picture nominees.

I think Glenn Close losing the Lead Actress Oscar to Olivia Colman for is the most famous recent example of how viewers not loving a film (she was her film’s only nominee) can hurt your ability to win when you’re up against a strong contender in a Best Picture nominee. That’s why, although not absolutely required, I think Viola Davis needs to be in a Best Picture nominee to maximize her chances of winning.

Profile picture
    Nicco
    Topics:

4/11 is a lot so it means that a woman has several chances to win best actress for a “non best picture nominee” movie actually.  Only Adams, Close and Jennifer Lawrence will star in a best picture nominee probabily since i dont see “Respect”, “The French Exit”, “Ma Raney’s Black Bottom” , “Annette” and “The Eyes of Tommy Faye” being into the best picture fight. In My opinion Viola Davis is the frontrunner number one,  Lawrence is the runner up. Hudson, Chastain and Pfeiffer the other nominees.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

1. Adams

2. Lawrence

3. Davis

4. Pfeiffer

5. Chastain

Profile picture
    Nicco
    Topics:

I think Adams is going to supporting and she will win the category. Davis wins lead and Hudson gets a nomination.

1) Davis

2) Lawrence

3) Hudson

4) Chastain

5) Pfeiffer

Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

In the last 11 years since the beginning of the preferential ballot era, 7/11 Lead Actress Oscar winners have come from Best Picture nominees.

I think Glenn Close losing the Lead Actress Oscar to Olivia Colman for is the most famous recent example of how viewers not loving a film (she was her film’s only nominee) can hurt your ability to win when you’re up against a strong contender in a Best Picture nominee. That’s why, although not absolutely required, I think Viola Davis needs to be in a Best Picture nominee to maximize her chances of winning.

I think Davis is in a different spot of her career in a different moment. Not only the AMPAS faced backlash last year for being “too white” but 2020 is also the year of the protests against racism. I would say she’s the most relevant African American actress working today in Hollywood and if the movie sells only her performance, then it will be all about her performance. She’s like a Jessica Lange case for “Blue Sky” – an established actress with a starring vehicle just for her and she’s big enough for that at this moment. Plus, she’s a 2 time Oscar winner kind of actress while Hudson isn’t (but then again I said Zellweger wasn’t a 2 times Oscar winner kind of actress and well…)

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I think Davis is in a different spot of her career in a different moment. Not only the AMPAS faced backlash last year for being “too white” but 2020 is also the year of the protests against racism. I would say she’s the most relevant African American actress working today in Hollywood and if the movie sells only her performance, then it will be all about her performance. She’s like a Jessica Lange case for “Blue Sky” – an established actress with a starring vehicle just for her and she’s big enough for that at this moment. Plus, she’s a 2 time Oscar winner kind of actress while Hudson isn’t (but then again I said Zellweger wasn’t a 2 times Oscar winner kind of actress and well…)

I also think Viola is at a moment in her career where she could very well overcome a possible weak film and win an Oscar in Lead. But tbh I wouldn’t compare her to Jessica Lange, just because 1994 was an extremely weak year for Actress and we still don’t know if the 2020 is going to be THAT weak. Also, her biggest competition, Jodie Foster, wasn’t going to win a third Oscar in just 6 years. Jessica Lange was the kinda of actress that needed to win a Lead Oscar. But I do agree with you, I think Viola is the frontrunner right now.

Profile picture
    Nicco
    Topics:

I think that G.Close won’t get a nomination but they will nominate Adams in supporting so that they can give the oscar for leading actress to Davis and supporting actress to Adams. There is no way that Adams is not taking her Oscar this year, she also seems to have gained weight for her role judging from the photos. At this point i hope that Annette and Ammonite comes out next year because this year actress race is very crowded and I don’t see Winslet and Cotillard getting into the oscar conversation. On the other hand next year there will be De Armas and McDormand. Very tough year too…

Profile picture
    Magnus
    Topics:

I think that G.Close won’t get a nomination but they will nominate Adams in supporting so that they can give the oscar for leading actress to Davis and supporting actress to Adams. There is no way that Adams is not taking her Oscar this year, she also seems to have gained weight for her role judging from the photos. At this point i hope that Annette and Ammonite comes out next year because this year actress race is very crowded and I don’t see Winslet and Cotillard getting into the oscar conversation. On the other hand next year there will be De Armas and McDormand. Very tough year too…

Amy Adams does not have to win this year. Close is definitely stronger than her and I think they’ll both be nominated in supporting, with Close in the winning conversation. And, honestly, this year’s actress race isn’t too crowded in my opinion.

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

In the book, Glenn Close’s role is FAR juicier than any other character. If the film only gets one acting nomination, it’ll be her. If voters want to reward an overdue actress, they’ll reward the actress who has already been nominated 7 times, is 73 years old, and has been in the industry for 30+ years.

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Anthony Hopkins- The Father
    FYC: Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Male/Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    Nicco
    Topics:

Which is her role?  I tought Adams was the Juicier one. Anyway Close or Adams are going in supporting and whoever of those two will get that nomination will surely win the category.

Profile picture
    Magnus
    Topics:

Which is her role? I tought Adams was the Juicier one. Anyway Close or Adams are going in supporting and whoever of those two will get that nomination will surely win the category.

Unless Saoirse Ronan takes it!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 498 total)

The topic ‘Super Early 2021 Oscar Predictions (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.