Home Forums Movies 2022 BAFTA Film Awards

2022 BAFTA Film Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 503 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
AMG
estrelas
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I recommend everyone make room for Vinette Robinson in their supporting actress predictions. Boiling Point is the EXACT type of gritty independent British drama that we saw thrive with the juries last year and honestly as premature as it sounds there doesn’t really feel like any reason why an unrecognised poc British television actress with one of the baitiest standout performances in her category in a film that just led the BIFA award nominations should miss out.

The film has a one take gimmick so it wouldn’t surprise me if Phillip Barantini made it into best director. Likewise Stephen Graham and Ray Panthaki give very jury friendly performances so I wouldn’t be surprised if they got in either although in both their cases I think I need to see who they’re up against on the long-list.

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    Craig Kell
    Topics:

I can’t wait to see Boiling Point at some stage. I especially love that a lot of the cast members are from the brilliant Sky series Save Me.

Glad to see Vinette getting a lot of praise for this, as I feel she’s kind of underused in SM.

Profile picture
    AmnistY21
    Topics:

Vinette is great in Boiling Point. I’m going to predict her because she can totally happen with the jury.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

BIFA snubbing Belfast in picture, director, screenplay and for Dornan whilst nominating Balfe, Dench, Hill and Hinds makes so much more sense when you actually see the film lol.

FYC:

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

UK GD members: How does the jury/voting system work, and would you say that UK actors are more likely to have an advantage regarding nominations since its their home turf?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

UK GD members: How does the jury/voting system work, and would you say that UK actors are more likely to have an advantage regarding nominations since its their home turf?

Each acting category is assigned a jury of around 15 to 20 people from the film industry. These can range from someone who has directed an episode of something like Doctor Who to an Academy Award winning thespian. The jury for the respective category then whittles 15 (or in this case 13 as the two performers with the most actors branch votes in each category automatically make it through) contenders down to four in each category. There may be some discussions and jury members making their cases for certain contenders to their fellow jurors but at the end of the day each jury member has a ballot where they rank the performances and it’s from a tallying of that ranking that the four performances are chosen.

British actors don’t have the advantage with the jury of purely being British like they did with the old system and the jury doesn’t vote for contenders in the sake of diversity. However there are certain things a contender can have that can only help their case. For example unless her performance strikes up an undeniable amount of passion it’s unlikely Meryl Streep will be nominated for Don’t Look Up because she’s one of the most successful thespians on the planet and a jury probably won’t see a nomination for her have any gain. However Caitriona Balfe stands a much stronger chance of being nominated because she’s an Irish TV actress in a career defining performance that attracts a tonne of passion. It’s all about how strong a case a performer has going for them.

FYC:

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Each acting category is assigned a jury of around 15 to 20 people from the film industry. These can range from someone who has directed an episode of something like Doctor Who to an Academy Award winning thespian. The jury for the respective category then whittles 15 (or in this case 13 as the two performers with the most actors branch votes in each category automatically make it through) contenders down to four in each category. There may be some discussions and jury members making their cases for certain contenders to their fellow jurors but at the end of the day each jury member has a ballot where they rank the performances and it’s from a tallying of that ranking that the four performances are chosen. British actors don’t have the advantage with the jury of purely being British like they did with the old system and the jury doesn’t vote for contenders in the sake of diversity. However there are certain things a contender can have that can only help their case. For example unless her performance strikes up an undeniable amount of passion it’s unlikely Meryl Streep will be nominated for Don’t Look Up because she’s one of the most successful thespians on the planet and a jury probably won’t see a nomination for her have any gain. However Caitriona Balfe stands a much stronger chance of being nominated because she’s an Irish TV actress in a career defining performance that attracts a tonne of passion. It’s all about how strong a case a performer has going for them.

Thanks!

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Does the UK have any major critic groups that will announce nominations soon or is it just ones from the US?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Does the UK have any major critic groups that will announce nominations soon or is it just ones from the US?

The London film critics circle (whose sensibilities have tended to correlate a LOT with the membership at large recently) should announce in around two weeks time.

The BIFAs (British Independent Film Awards) will announce their winners tomorrow.

FYC:

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The one film that remains a total mystery when it comes to predicting here is West Side Story. It has critical raves, it will probably do well on the long-list and its two supporting actress have very baity performances on paper but it’s also the definition of mainstream and is a remake of a beloved musical. It stands out in a way that might hurt it if it’s in contention against very independently driven films and grittier performances on the long-list with the jury.

I can see a world where DeBose ends up being the sole acting nominee for the film whilst Zegler gets snubbed à la Stanfield.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Opium
    Topics:

All I can say is that Lady Gaga is not happening here.

Gaga and ‘not happening’ in the same sentence are two things that always age like milk.

Profile picture
    Craig Kell
    Topics:

Yeah, unfortunately just London. Would love to see a regional critics group in the UK (Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, etc.) 😛

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’m SO happy for her.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Louis Cypher
    Topics:

There’s just no way West Side Story is getting anywhere this year considering the insane competition. I feel similarly about Macbeth. I can’t believe people have it in their “best adapted screenplay” predictions. It’s a very faithful Shakespeare adaptation ffs. it’s strengths are in the visuals, the performances- certainly not in the editorializing of the material

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

There’s just no way West Side Story is getting anywhere this year considering the insane competition. I feel similarly about Macbeth. I can’t believe people have it in their “best adapted screenplay” predictions. It’s a very faithful Shakespeare adaptation ffs. it’s strengths are in the visuals, the performances- certainly not in the editorializing of the material

The Coens are beloved in the writers branch. They even get in for random screenplays like A Serious Man and Buster Scruggs

#12 for 2021 SAG Film Award Winners.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘2022 BAFTA Film Awards’ is closed to new replies.