Home Forums Movies 2022 BAFTA Film Awards

2022 BAFTA Film Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 228 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
9 hours ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
AMG
estrelas
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The only movie I can think of that is distinctly American that did well at BAFTA in recent memory is The Irishman.

And that ended up getting shut out in wins…

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Connelly won the Oscar (and BAFTA awarded Russell Crowe) and her competition at BAFTA was quite weak. Mirren and Smith vote-split and Dench was a filler nomination. Winslet was the only one who could have theoretically beaten her because she is a British film industry legend (and was/is quite beloved by the actors branch having won 3 BAFTAs) but she ultimately wasn’t strong enough to win for this role.

That’s true.
    One would expect Mirren to upset Connelly (as Mirren won the SAG) but BAFTA didn’t really like Gosford Park. They snubbed it for Picture and didn’t award either Robert Altman or Julian Fellowes (who won the Oscar). Vote Splitting with Maggie Smith certainly didn’t help. And to be noted, Kate Winslet hadn’t become KATE WINSLET until 2004.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

The only ones that have really done well here tend to be films with lots of snob appeal or those with very significant non American creative involvement (I, Tonya, Three Billboards, Promising Young Woman).

This is very interesting cause it seems like they love a non-american take of the United States. Specially if british.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

It isn’t weird at all! Viola Davis after all just did that.

I ultimately think (unless she’s winning) that <i>The Eyes of Tammy Faye</i> will be too American centric for Chastain to make it in here with either the jury or membership. She’ll get long-listed but BAFTA is notoriously apathetic towards very “American” films. The only ones that have really done well here tend to be films with lots of snob appeal or those with very significant non American creative involvement (I, Tonya, Three Billboards, Promising Young Woman).

Considering the membership didn’t even long-list Minari last year, both Moonlight and Green Book under-performed with them, The Trial of the Chicago 7 under-performed with them too (even though it did well on the long-list) and they snubbed McConaughey and Leto when they WON at the Oscars, it’s entirely plausible Chastain misses here due to her film lacking appeal amongst the membership.

So if Chastain isn’t top 2 at BAFTA then I really can’t see her having a shot at the Oscar, especially when she will have strong competiton that will have international appeal. This will help people such as Stewart, Colman and Kidman. Maybe one of these will win the Oscar instead.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

This is very interesting cause it seems like they love a non-american take of the United States. Specially if british.

Yeah.

The membership also seem to love films with a take that are arguably explicitly “critical” on the US like The Mauritanian or Vice.

Oscars FYC:
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So if Chastain isn’t top 2 at BAFTA then I really can’t see her having a shot at the Oscar, especially when she will have strong competiton that will have international appeal. This will help people such as Stewart, Colman and Kidman. Maybe one of these will win the Oscar instead.

If she goes lead and ends up being a top player it wouldn’t surprise me if Blanchett ends up being one of the top 2. She’s quite well respected and the only time she’s missed with the membership vote for one of her Oscar nominations was for Notes on a Scandal (which in hindsight was quite shocking considering how “British” a film that was) but even then she made it in for The Talented Mr Ripley so she’s kind of on equal footing with the Oscars.

Oscars FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

If she goes lead and ends up being a top player it wouldn’t surprise me if Blanchett ends up being one of the top 2. She’s quite well respected and the only time she’s missed with the membership vote for one of her Oscar nominations was for Notes on a Scandal (which in hindsight was quite shocking considering how “British” a film that was) but even then she made it in for The Talented Mr Ripley so she’s kind of on equal footing with the Oscars.

Blanchett

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

If she goes lead and ends up being a top player it wouldn’t surprise me if Blanchett ends up being one of the top 2. She’s quite well respected and the only time she’s missed with the membership vote for one of her Oscar nominations was for Notes on a Scandal (which in hindsight was quite shocking considering how “British” a film that was) but even then she made it in for The Talented Mr Ripley so she’s kind of on equal footing with the Oscars.

I wouldn’t be surprised if she missed due to being submitted in lead instead. Like when Carey Mulligan was submitted in lead here for Shame and (unfortunately) got snubbed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Like when Carey Mulligan was submitted in lead here for Shame

That was just crazy. I know it was to avoid her splitting votes with herself for Drive but still…

Oscars FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Post TIFF predictions (those in bold are films I’m predicting to get in with the membership vote).

Film

Belfast (Focus Features/Universal Pictures)
    – Dune (Warner Bros.)
    – Nightmare Alley (Searchlight Pictures)
    – The Power of the Dog (Netflix)
    Spencer (Neon/STX Entertainment)

British Film

After Love (BFI)
    – Belfast (Universal Pictures)
    Flee (Neon)
    – Last Night in Soho (Universal Pictures)
    – The Lost Daughter (StudioCanal)
    – The Nest (Picturehouse Entertainment)
    – Passing (Netflix)
    – The Power of the Dog (Netflix) 
    The Souvenir : Part II (Picturehouse Entertainment)
    Spencer (STX Entertainment)

Director

– Pedro Almodovar, Parallel Mothers
    – Jane Campion, The Power of the Dog
    – Joanna Hogg, The Souvenir : Part II
    – Kelly Reichardt, First Cow
    – Celine Schiamma, Petite Maman
    – Paolo Sorrentino, The Hand of God

Actor in a Leading Role

– Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
    – Jude Hill, Belfast
    – Jude Law, The Nest
    – Dev Patel, The Green Knight
    – Will Smith, King Richard
    – Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth

Actress in a Leading Role

– Olivia Colman, The Lost Daughter
    – Jodie Comer, The Last Duel
    – Penelope Cruz, Parallel Mothers
    – Joanna Scanlan, After Love
    – Kristen Stewart, Spencer
    – Tessa Thompson, Passing

Actor in a Supporting Role

– Colman Domingo, Zola
    – Idris Elba, The Harder They Fall
    – Corey Hawkins, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    – Ciaran Hinds, Belfast
    – Orion Lee, First Cow
    – Kodi Smit-McPhee, The Power of the Dog

Actress in a Supporting Role

– Jessie Buckley, The Lost Daughter
    – Toni Collette, Nightmare Alley
    – Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog
    – Aunjanue Ellis, King Richard
    – Marlee Matlin, CODA
    – Ruth Negga, Passing

Original Screenplay

– Kenneth Branagh for Belfast
    – Adam McKay for Don’t Look Up
    – Paul Thomas Anderson for Licorice Pizza
    – Pedro Almodovar for Parallel Mothers
    – Steven Knight for Spencer

Adapted Screenplay

– Jon Spaihts, Denis Villeneuve and Eric Roth for Dune
    – Maggie Gyllenhaal for The Lost Daughter
    – Guillermo Del Toro and Kim Morgan for Nightmare Alley
    – Rebecca Hall for Passing
    – Jane Campion for The Power of the Dog

Rising Star

– Max Harwood
    – Jude Hill
    – Emilia Jones
    – Sophia di Martino
    – Lauren Patel

Oscars FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    yabixz
    Topics:

Isn’t Jodie confirmed supporting now?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Isn’t Jodie confirmed supporting now?

She’s still in lead in the predictions centre no?

Oscars FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

She’s still in lead in the predictions centre no?

She is but I think there’s a few changes still to be made on the centre.

Blonde is still in there.

Dornan and Balfe aren’t in Supporting yet.

PTA film yet to have its title listed (still as Untitled PTA Film).

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

PTA film yet to have its title listed (still as Untitled PTA Film).

It is changed to Licorice Pizza in the predictions centre for Picture now if I’m not mistaken.

Oscars FYC:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

It is changed to Licorice Pizza in the predictions centre for Picture now if I’m not mistaken.

Yeah it is now. Though Blonde is still in there which is odd given it’s been months since the confirmation it was delayed to 2022?

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 228 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.