Home Forums Movies Supporting Actress 1974 (47th Academy Awards)

Supporting Actress 1974 (47th Academy Awards)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
teri
Dennis El Mar
thatnerdgreg
  • keithw
    Participant
    Topics:

Winner: Ingrid Bergman (Murder on the Orient Express)
    Other nominees: Valentina Cortese (Day for Night)
    Madeline Kahn (Blazing Saddles)
    Diane Ladd (Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore)
    Talia Shire (The Godfather Part 2)

For this category I don’t really remember any front runner, though my personal choice was Diane Ladd. Ingrid Bergman herself thanked Valentina Cortese and apologized for winning her her acceptance speech. Who do you think was the runner – up? My guess is the ranking was: Bergman, Ladd, Cortese, Kahn, Shire
    Your opinions?

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

This might be one of the hardest acting categories of all time to predict a runner-up, I’ve always been stumped. I’m going to say it was between Diane Ladd and Valentina Cortese. What I do know is that Valerie Perrine did well with critics that year in Supporting and would have easily won had she been in this category and not Lead.

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

ReplyCopy URL
    methaddiction
    Participant
    Topics:

I still don’t understand why Shire was nominated in the first place wasn’t she only in like a 2 minute scene in that entire film?

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

It looked like Ms Bergman herself was surprised by her win as her acceptance speech sounded apologetic.
    Valerie was amazing but the bleak tone of the film may have discouraged more support from voters.
    Iv e never seen Ms Ladd give a bad performance and given she was part of that team with Ellen she may have been second, with the caveat that comedies often come with certain biases.
    Given that it was a Truffaut film it came with the respectful gravitas for Cortese to be second, but my own feeling is that it was Bergman’s personal respect more than acknowledging that she stole the Oscar from her, because her “apology” extended to everyone she was nominated with.
    I’ll stick my neck out and say that Talia was the runner up. High profile in a series of high profile winning films, BP winner, plus she was terrific in Gf2 and her character underwent a transformation from rejection to a ruthless acceptance.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Fr I think Bergman was one of the best actresses of all time but that was one of the worst acting wins in Academy history, there are instances (see Michelle Williams and Beatrice Straight) where actors deserve to win an Oscar for one scene but that performance wasn’t it lol

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Fr I think Bergman was one of the best actresses of all time but that was one of the worst acting wins in Academy history, there are instances (see Michelle Williams and Beatrice Straight) where actors deserve to win an Oscar for one scene but that performance wasn’t it lol

I agree. The classy Bergman knew she didn’t deserve the win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree. The classy Bergman knew she didn’t deserve the win.

Imagine if she had rightfully gotten her third for Autumn Sonata, we wouldn’t even be having this conversation

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Imagine if she had rightfully gotten her third for Autumn Sonata, we wouldn’t even be having this conversation

so true. Ms Bergman was too humble and too smart not to realize it was a “Thank you for everything” Oscar at the end of her remarkable career.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

Uninspired group of nominees, TBH. Bergman won BAFTA as well so she had the narrative. Wendy Hiller and Lauren Bacall would be my picks before her anyway but out of this line-up she would still get my vote. Sorry not sorry. I’m happy “Murder on the Orient Express” is Oscar-winning movie so Kenneth Branagh can just suck it with his far inferior adaptation.

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I still don’t understand why Shire was nominated in the first place wasn’t she only in like a 2 minute scene in that entire film?

Shire’s role isn’t particularly big in Godfather Part II, but she still delivered a great performance, especially when you consider just how different the character of Connie is in the sequel when compared to the first film. One thing that I love about that film is how it gave Shire, Diane Keaton (would’ve been just as deserving of a nomination as Shire), and John Cazale (definitely should’ve been nominated) bigger showcases than the first film. All of them were great in the original, but the sequel really let them all show what they could really do.

Talking about Shire’s work in Part II actually reminds me of a very interesting bit of trivia.

I’ll try to be as ambiguous as I can be, but there’s now way to describe these two scenes without alluding to spoilers.

In the original script, the death of the baby was supposed to be a miscarriage. Shire came up with the idea of the actual cause of death that happens in the film, and suggested it to Francis Ford Coppola. To thank her for this, Coppola wrote a new scene for her, the one where she asks Michael to forgive Fredo. This suggestion arguably gave Diane Keaton her best scene in the series, while also causing the director to give his sister arguably her best scene in the series as well. It’s probably the main reason why she was nominated, as it’s a very powerful moment where the actress truly delivers.

End of spoilers for a classic film that most people on here have likely seen because its been out for decades.

Anyway, I don’t have any good guesses of what the order was, cause I’ve only seen Shire and Khan’s performance of those nominees, and I don’t know much about the others.

ReplyCopy URL
    Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

so true. Ms Bergman was too humble and too smart not to realize it was a “Thank you for everything” Oscar at the end of her remarkable career.

It was also a mea culpa from Hollywood, who ostracized her for many years because of her unapologetic affair with Roberto Rossellini.

ReplyCopy URL
    keithw
    Participant
    Topics:

Valerie Perrine easily would have won this category had she been nominated in it rather than as lead actress for “Lenny”. I assume Ms. Perrine had no say in the category placement and it just happened where the nominations fell. Similarily, Talia Shire could have won an Oscar as Supporting Actress for “Rocky” had she been nominated in that category rather than lead actress.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

It was also a mea culpa from Hollywood, who ostracized her for many years because of her unapologetic affair with Roberto Rossellini.

Thing is the Academy already gave her the mea culpa with her Oscar for Anastasia, so why did they need to do it again? And as Dennis said earlier, if only they’d waited four more years to award her again.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

I heard Diane Ladd speak at an event. She was so proud that she won the BAFTA and beat Ingrid Bergman. She jokingly had the host add that to her introduction.

Sad part is she didn’t beat Ingrid. The films were released in different years in the UK and so they both won Ingrid in 74 and Ladd in 75. Beating Bergman seemed like it was a big honor for her. Oh well.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

An early form of political “correctness” and the McCarthy era.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.