Home Forums Movies Supporting Actress 2007. Why JHud??

Supporting Actress 2007. Why JHud??

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Bassett
wgoran
braydenfitzsi..
Supporting Actress 2007. Why JHud??
Cate Blanchett - Notes on a Scandal
Adrianna Barazza - Babel
Rinko Kikuchi - Babel
Emily Blunt - The Devil Wears Prada
Abigail Breslin - Little MIss Sunshine
  • Profile picture
    wgoran
    Topics:

Jennifer Hudson’s win for Dreamgirls was very underwhelming especially considering it was a pretty solid lineup with the Babel ladies and Cate Blanchett so I swapped JHud for Emily Blunt in Devil Wears Prada but personally I would have voted for Rinko Kikuchi.

Profile picture
    galaxy98
    Topics:

She was the popular vote, and her performance were showy, a singer turned actress, gain weight, etc. A winning criteria the oscars loves so much.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

– The Babel ladies were foreign actresses and cancelled each other, though Kikuchi was more acclaimed

– Abigail Breslin was 11 years old

– Cate Blanchett won the previous year

Meanwhile Hudson won for a role that had previously already won a Tony and a Grammy Award. She had one huge show-stopping moment and frankly, she was the only way to give a major award to Dreamgirls

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lady Bird Ronan
    Topics:

Her competition that year was weak. Not performance wise but more on narrative I guess. Babel ladies cancelled each other out but agree that Kikuchi was more acclaimed, Blanchett had just won 2 years earlier and Breslin was a literal child. I wouldn’t have nominated JHud but I did enjoyed her performance.

FYC

Picture: "Minari"
    Director: Chloé Zhao, "Nomadland"
    Actor: Delroy Lindo, "Da 5 Bloods"
    Actress: Carey Mulligan, "Promising Young Woman"
    Supporting Actor: Glynn Turman, "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom"
    Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-jung, "Minari"

"Don't be a Republican" - Lady Bird Ronan

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

– The Babel ladies were foreign actresses and cancelled each other, though Kikuchi was more acclaimed – Abigail Breslin was 11 years old – Cate Blanchett won the previous year Meanwhile Hudson won for a role that had previously already won a Tony and a Grammy Award. She had one huge show-stopping moment and frankly, she was the only way to give a major award to Dreamgirls

Also she was a lead in supporting.

I disagree that she was the only way to give Dreamgirls a major award as Murphy was considered the frontrunner to win for it as well, though outside factors didn’t help him.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Also she was a lead in supporting. I disagree that she was the only way to give Dreamgirls a major award as Murphy was considered the frontrunner to win for it as well, though outside factors didn’t help him.

If Norbit hadn’t came out that year, I think he would’ve won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I agree that Dreamgirls’ award should have been Murphy. But the Academy loves rewarding ‘one big showy scene’ performances in Supporting. That’s how Anne Hathaway grabbed the win. Could be argued for Laura Dern too, though she had a couple of showy moments.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Also she was a lead in supporting. I disagree that she was the only way to give Dreamgirls a major award as Murphy was considered the frontrunner to win for it as well, though outside factors didn’t help him.

True but it’s worth noting that Dreamgirls massively underperformed in Oscar nominations. Missed the Best Picture nom despite winning the Globe (over LMS) + hitting PGA/DGA and SAG. Also didn’t hit any of the big 5 despite getting 8 noms overall. It was pretty clear that AMPAS didn’t like it as much as expected and that it was not winning two acting awards

Sacrificing Murphy in favor of veteran and previous nominee Alan Arkin made more sense than Hudson for any of her competitors

Also Norbit.. lol

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wgoran
    Topics:

I agree that Dreamgirls’ award should have been Murphy. But the Academy loves rewarding ‘one big showy scene’ performances in Supporting. That’s how Anne Hathaway grabbed the win. Could be argued for Laura Dern too, though she had a couple of showy moments.

Hathaway maybe. But with Laura, her nom/win was only about her and her family. Ngl I thought she was excellent in MS but the role felt like those roles that win Guest Emmy’s.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FairWeatherAffair
    Topics:

Kikuchi should have won, but this was such an underwhelming lineup across the board…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jasmine is French
    Topics:

If I remember correctly, there was a lot of hoopla around Hudson and her one scene. She had lost American Idol a couple of years earlier, being eliminated in the top 9 finals

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

True but it’s worth noting that Dreamgirls massively underperformed in Oscar nominations. Missed the Best Picture nom despite winning the Globe (over LMS)

All of this. Just look at CNN news banner while the nominations were being announced.

CNN1

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

considering it was a pretty solid lineup with the Babel ladies and Cate Blanchett so I swapped JHud for Emily Blunt in Devil Wears Prada but personally I would have voted for Rinko Kikuchi.

• Babel was too foreign, unknown and spilt the vote with each other.
    • Spencer was a child.
    • Blanchett just won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    nkb325
    Topics:

Hathaway maybe. But with Laura, her nom/win was only about her and her family. Ngl I thought she was excellent in MS but the role felt like those roles that win Guest Emmy’s.

Laura Dern won her oscar for BLL season 2, honestly

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

Dreamgirls still had 8 nominations and won 2 Oscars so I wouldn’t say it massively underperformed.

I have not seen Babel, but from the three I seen I would definetely give the win to Jennifer Hudson who was AMAZING in Dreamgirls.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.