Home Forums Movies Telluride 2019

Telluride 2019

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Alex
Dennis El Mar
PJ Edwards
  • John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Early reactions for The Two Popes say it’s a great, faithful Catholic movie, which means it won’t be nominated because the academy loves to shit on Catholics (Spotlight). Even Scorcese couldn’t get major nominations for Silence.

Academy-Award winners:

Parasite: Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay

Joker: Best Actor - Joaquin Phoenix

Jojo Rabbit: Best Adapted Screenplay

ReplyCopy URL
    lorelei lor
    Participant
    Topics:

Early reactions for The Two Popes say it’s a great, faithful Catholic movie, which means it won’t be nominated because the academy loves to shit on Catholics (Spotlight). Even Scorcese couldn’t get major nominations for Silence.

I don’t blame them. That movie was boring as hell.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Uncut Gems First Reactions

Miriam Bale: UNCUT GEMS is a masterpiece. Finally a movie that understands basketball > movies. Everyone in UNCUT GEMS is great: obviously Sandler, Lakeith, Kevin Garnett!, some of the bit players. But the stealthy MVP is Idina Menzel.

Eric Kohn: UNCUT GEMS is a total blast, wild and visionary but grounded in an Adam Sandler performance that feels like a culmination of all of them

Rebecca Keegan: Uncut Gems is bananas. I will never look at 47th street the same way again.

Scott Feinberg: UNCUT GEMS is gonna strongly divide people, just like the Safdies’ last film, GOOD TIME. I was entertained. Think TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE meets A SERIOUS MAN… with Adam Sandler as the poor schmuck at the center of it all!

Anne Thompson: Uncut Gems is a wild ride. Could be big for A24. Not awards though, unless the actors come through for Adam Sandler, who dives into his role as a reckless diamond district gambler. The Safdies crank up the volume. Never a dull moment. But you feel pummeled.

Tomris Laffly: There are deposits of both HEAVEN KNOWS WHAT and GOOD TIME in UNCUT GEMS; Safdies’ latest manic, on-steroids dive into the streets of NYC—this time, the Diamond District. Adam Sandler is on fire. And it makes me mad that Idina Menzel isn’t in more (or all) movies

Scott Menzel: Uncut Gems hooked me from beginning to end. It is dark, gritty & intense. Sure, the film is an insult on the senses but I found everything from the performances to the story so captivating. Adam Sandler was perfectly cast as is Julia Fox.

Matt Neglia: UNCUT GEMS features Adam Sandler’s best performance to date. However, this movie is loud, deranged and quite frankly, unpleasant at times. It never lets up with its blasting score, and overlapping dialogue screamed so loudly that you care barely make anything out

Jacqueline Coley: UNCUT GEMS is rare & precious but not flawless. More importantly the slight imperfections are what make it great. Adam Sandler kills it in everyway. The Safdies did some incredible things but lemme give them HUGE props 4 always casting authenticly.

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

My point was that Spotlight was a movie about 13 year old Catholic scandals (technically 50 year old Catholic scandals) that won Picture in 2015. So it’s proof that the Oscars like movies that paint the Catholic Church in a negative light (fair or not).

Academy-Award winners:

Parasite: Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay

Joker: Best Actor - Joaquin Phoenix

Jojo Rabbit: Best Adapted Screenplay

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

Motherless Brooklyn First Reactions

Ashley Menzel: Motherless Brooklyn is a beautifully shot piece of art that oozes with style and a distinct tone. Edward Norton is phenomenal and his direction is stunning. It is certainly a bit too long but nonetheless, pretty wonderful

Scott Menzel: Motherless Brooklyn is an odd little film but I sort of enjoyed it. It’s too long which definitely hurts the film but the story is interesting enough with solid performances all around. I give Edward Norton a lot of credit for his performance & his direction.

Clayton Davis: So Edward Norton knows a secret. A secret about film, art, and life. ‘Motherless Brooklyn’ is his attempt to tell us. Throwback/callback/flashback, whatever you want to call it, there’s a lot there. Taut, layered, confident. Not for everyone. Maybe me.

Sasha Stone: Motherless Brooklyn is a great example of why you have to see movies for yourself and not rely on what others say. It’s great. Loved it. I will almost always fall for noir or pulp. Motherless Brooklyn scratches that itch. NYC Norton says has always kind of had an autocratic design with its racism baked into its construction.

Anne Thompson: Edward Norton’s adaptation of Jonathan Lethem’s Motherless Brooklyn is an ambitious, sprawling, gorgeous 50s film noir homage anchored by Norton’s magnetic central performance. But will audiences embrace it?

Matt Neglia: MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN is a densely plotted noir like LA CONFIDENTIAL & CHINATOWN. Despite clever writing & surehanded direction, it isn’t up to the level of those all-time greats. Norton’s portrayal of Tourette’s is uncomfortable but his wits & tender heart are in the right place.

Bobby Harris: I feel like MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN was a well made movie (a little too long) but idk how I feel about Ed Norton’s performance. I think the movie overcomes it, but it took me out of the movie multiple times

Ryland Aldrich: Edward Norton’s MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN is a good ol’ fashioned gumshoe noir and a real who’s who of incredible NYC actors. It’s certainly long but I was thoroughly entertained throughout

Katie Kilkenny: MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN is dividing everyone here at the fest, and I won’t get into the minefield of Edward Norton’s portrayal, but I do enjoy any story that combines noir, Robert Moses criticism and Michael K. Williams

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

Festival fever at its finest. They like everything.

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Spectator
    Topics:

Yes, Silence didn’t get major nominations and Spotlight won Best Picture because the Academy hates the Catholic Church and not because the former was a flop while the latter was a successful and timely film about a major publicized sex abuse scandal. Mmkay.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

Also got banned because...reasons? So, I guess ciao.

ReplyCopy URL
    AMG
    Participant
    Topics:

The Aeronauts First Reactions

Scott Menzel: THE AERONAUTS is an ambitious film that must be experienced on the big screen. Felicity Jones and Eddie Redmayne prove that lightning can strike twice. Their performances are engrossing & emotional. Tom Harper is a director to keep an eye on.

Clayton Davis: ‘The Aeronauts’ is ambitious in scope. Visuals are a joy. Probably one of the few films that may have benefited from being 3D. Felicity Jones is fearless. Pencil in Steven Price for Original Score

Grant Mayotte: a highly ambitious film that provides great visuals for the big screen. Eddie Redmayne & Felicity Jones are completely comfortable with one another & it shows. Steven Price’s score is 1st true awards contender. Doesn’t always earn its runtime.

Ashley Menzel: The Aeronauts perfectly combines the quiet majesty of the skies and clouds with a high flying adventure that is incredibly human and emotionally engaging. Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones give inspirational performances.

Matt Neglia: THE AERONAUTS is occasionally thrilling with some breathtaking imagery & stunts. But it can never fully recover from its quick pace that favors a flashbacks making it harder to invest early with these characters. Jones puts in a strong effort but this one never reaches the stars.

Katie Kilkenny: THE AERONAUTS is pretty lovely, and Eddie Redmayne rightfully steps aside to let Felicity Jones take the spotlight this time around. There’s some silly metaphors and strange time-hopping but overall it’s a fun time

J Don Birnam: Try to watch The Aeronauts in theaters if you can, unless you have vertigo cause it’s scary. It’s exciting and a cool story even if the script isn’t perfect. Felicity Jones and Eddie Redmayne totally have their Kate and Leo moment, snowflakes on hair and hypothermia and all

Erik Anderson: Really enjoyed THE AERONAUTS. A crowdpleasing adventure tale, a terrific Felicity Jones, impeccable techs and even a bit with a dog

Mark Johnson: The Aeronauts is more spectacle than substance, but the performances and chemistry between Redmayne and Jones keep the film from crashing. A fun ride with a great score

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

impeccable techs and even a bit with a dog

Some big tech contenders have screened already: Ad astra, ford vs ferrari, and aeronauts.

Add in Once upon a time and there are the 4 for most categories.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  PJ Edwards.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  PJ Edwards.
    ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.