Home Forums Movies The Farewell (2019)

The Farewell (2019)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Icecreamben
FairWeatherAf..
HarmonV
  • BigFish
    Participant
    Topics:

By far my most favorite movie of the year.  I totally relate to the movie because it relates to a lot of my experience as an Asian immigrant in the US. I’m not Chinese and I don’t think the culture of lying to someone about serious illness is common back home. However, it perfectly captures other things that I miss from home. Funeral, weddings, bickering among family members, and this push and pull between East and West culture. Everytime I Skyped my mom, the only thing that she constantly pushes me is getting married since I’m about to be 32 and I’m laughing out loud when Nai Nai also said the same thing to Billie. Reading at Rotten Tomotoes, a lot of people just focus on the “lying part”, where personally this movie achieves much more than that. There’s a case of over-achievers Asian syndrome when Billie was forced to play piano during childhood and the parents (particularly her mom) clearly has a bit of disappointment that she didn’t follow that path. How Billie’s mom has resentment of Nai Nai because Nai Nai feels sh’se not good enough for her son, even when she’s been very loyal taking care of him through his alcohol addiction.

ReplyCopy URL
    PreludeinCSharpMinor
    Participant
    Topics:

Which actress for supporting actress? I think the actress who played Awkwafina’s mother was terrific. She was almost like an Asian Meryl Streep with her looks and mannerisms. I also though the grandmother was strong. I see this getting picture, screenplay, actress(maybe) and supporting actress. The season is still early so anything can happen.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pauly Antonio
    Participant
    Topics:

Just saw it last night. I was AMAZED. Wont lie though, At some parts it got a little boring and found myself almost falling asleep but I was instantly brought back to life!! Awkwafina absolutely shocked me! who knew the same person who wrote a song about her vagina could act like this!! The entire case was amazing too.

I live in Flushing Queens, NY. For those who don’t know its a predominately Chinese area (China Town). When I went to the theater to watch it, the theater was FILLED with the entire population of Flushing basically!! It was so cute, I appreciated that for once, another culture was being represented in a good way, it got me emotional more than the movie!!

That being said I’m not sure if this movie will survive all the way until Oscar season. As great as it was, its going to get the A24 effect (Eight Grade, Hereditary, Boy Erased, First Reformed and tons more). (and yes I know there are films from a24 that got Oscar love, but this isnt that kind of movie). Awkwafina is most likely getting a Globes nom and MAYBE a Sag nom.

Im predicting a screenplay, Director, maybe Supp. actress, and maybe Best Picture.

y'all ugly and smelly

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Just saw this and liked it for the most part. Awkawfina was excellent and surprised me with some unforeseen dramatic chops. The actress playing the grandmother was such a scene-stealer! Hard not to be captivated by Nai Nai! I won’t predict her for an Oscar nomination (yet), but it’s the kind of role that would immediately get attention with a known name. Some stretches of the film bored me and lost my attention, but in total, it was well-casted and directed. It’ll be interesting to see if this becomes a major contender or not.

ReplyCopy URL
    nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

Zhao Shuzhen is the actress that plays the grandmother, and it would be really nice for her performance to get some traction in supporting actress. I don’t know how big a contender this movie will be, it’s pretty small and is a pretty lowkey movie so i wouldn’t be surprised if it kinda fades into the background. But if it does stick around, Awkwafina, Shuzhen, and Wang for her screenplay would all be worthy contenders. And Variety did call Shuzhen the “breakout star of the movie”, so it does seem like if any supporting actor will be in the conversation it will be her.

ReplyCopy URL
    Salsa Club
    Participant
    Topics:

$10.3 million so far and it hasn’t even reached 1,000 theaters or international release yet, this little indie has legs.. where do we see it peaking? $25 mil?

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I am going to see this on Wednesday and am really looking forward to it! (: I really appreciate the comments on here, which have made me excited to go to this particular movie! (:

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I absolutely loved this film. The direction, writing, and acting were all wonderful. It had the perfect blend of humor and tragedy. Awkwafina really impressed me. I had no idea she could deliver such a heartbreaking performance. I’m not a big fan of her music, but I’m very excited to see where her acting career will go. To me, the real standout was Shuzhen Zhao. While Awkwafina may have been the lead, the film relied on Shuzhen just as much. If her depiction of Nai Nai failed, then the whole film would’ve failed, since it completely revolves around her character. Luckily, she brought such an undeniably beautiful warmth to the role, that it managed to make both the laughs and the tears throughout the film so much more powerful. The rest of the cast is uniformly excellent, with most of the main character having at least one moment where they got to shine, and all of them succeeded with flying colors. I really hope this film does well during awards season. I’d say it would be very deserving of nods for picture, director(though I doubt it’ll happen), actress, supporting actress, and screenplay. I believe if the studio campaigns well, the film could make it into SAG, and, unless if there’s another particularly strong contender, Awkwafina could wind up winning the comedy actress globe. If the film deserves one nod though, it’s for Shuzhen Zhao. She was honestly perfect.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Saw this today and had mixed feelings about it. Certain scenes were terrific, other scenes were slack and dull and I do wish she had fleshed out several of the supporting characters better (the groom and bride, the other aunts and uncles), and I must admit to being irritated by the mother. I think Shuzhen Zhao absolutely deserves to be in the conversation for Best Supporting Actress. (I also really liked the other older aunt who was her best friend as well, but don’t see her vying for awards). Awkwafina was excellent but I don’t think she will be a strong contender, albeit maybe for an Indie Spirit award? Although I felt the script had it’s problems I would not be surprised – or disappointed – to see it in the mix during awards season. I did find some of the film dull and unimaginative, slack – but I also found several scenes quite exhilarating esp. the cemetery scene and the wedding reception scene.

Was this a debut effort for Lulu Wang? I hope she gets more chances to make films and learns how to fill out all of the characters and not just a few of them. She needs to create quirks and interest in every role and not just a few of them. Overall a very good film that I am certainly going to recommend. I give it a solid B for a grade.

ReplyCopy URL
    deaetee
    Participant
    Topics:

Just got back from an advance screening in Sydney and the whole  audience was surprised by the director’s Q&A at the end of the movie.

This movie definitely deserved to be in the conversation, Awkwafina amazed me and the actresses that played Nai Nai stole/broke my heart.

ATM I’m gonna predict

Best Picture, Best Original Screenplay, Best Actress and I’m really hoping Best Supporting Actress nod for the grandmother.

ReplyCopy URL
    UrdrKitt
    Participant
    Topics:

If Zhao Shuzhen doesn’t get a supporting actress nomination (and hopefully win) for playing Nai Nai then I will riot! She was phenomenal! The best performance in any film I’ve seen so far.

Also, Awkwafina is incredible too – she definitely deserves a nomination too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus.H
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know why you US people get hyped by this film and Awkwafina so much.

As a Chinese, I think this looks nothing terrific in terms of script, direction, and Awkwafina’s acting.

Every Chinese film from the shortlist of Golden Horse Award, the Chinese Oscars, can easily outshine this.

Kubrick-Coen-Tarantino-Hitchcock-Lynch-Fellini-BillyWilde-WesAnderson
    "One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest(1975)"[All Time Fav]

ReplyCopy URL
    Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know why you US people get hyped by this film and Awkwafina so much. As a Chinese, I think this looks nothing terrific in terms of script, direction, and Awkwafina’s acting. Every Chinese film from the shortlist of Golden Horse Award, the Chinese Oscars, can easily outshine this.

as a Chinese I’m just excited for Chinese film to get Western recognition and for the academy to appreciate it. It’s a step forward to seeing better representation in film and support for POC film creatives.

ReplyCopy URL
    Honey
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know why you US people get hyped by this film and Awkwafina so much.

As a Chinese, I think this looks nothing terrific in terms of script, direction, and Awkwafina’s acting.

Every Chinese film from the shortlist of Golden Horse Award, the Chinese Oscars, can easily outshine this.

I mean the bar to trigger western audience’s emotion is very low to begin with lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus.H
    Participant
    Topics:

as a Chinese I’m just excited for Chinese film to get Western recognition and for the academy to appreciate it. It’s a step forward to seeing better representation in film and support for POC film creatives.

Ugh you’re Australian.

But yeah, the only good thing we can all agree is about getting international recognition.

Kubrick-Coen-Tarantino-Hitchcock-Lynch-Fellini-BillyWilde-WesAnderson
    "One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest(1975)"[All Time Fav]

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.