Home Forums Movies The Humans (2021) Starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell

The Humans (2021) Starring Richard Jenkins, Jayne Houdyshell

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Atypical
Calvin
Jeffrey Kare
  • Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Hello! I’m not sure if someone made this topic already, but I can’t seem to find it. So I wanted a place where we could talk about The Humans.

The IMDb plot description goes: Set inside a pre-war duplex in downtown Manhattan, The Humans follows the course of an evening in which the Blake family gathers to celebrate Thanksgiving. As darkness falls outside the crumbling building, mysterious things start to go bump in the night and family tensions reach a boiling point.

It’s based on a play by Stephen Karam, who is adapting his own source material and directing the film. The play won four Tonys including Best Play. It also won Featured Actor (basically Supporting Actor for those who don’t know theatre and the Tonys) for Reed Birney, whose part will be played by Richard Jenkins in the film, and Featured Actress for Jayne Houdyshell, who is reprising her role. The cast also includes Steven Yeun, Beanie Feldstein, Amy Schumer, and June Squibb.

I wanna know what everyone’s thoughts on this are. I’m looking forward to it, Richard Jenkins is one of the most underrated actors we have, Steven Yeun is one of my favorites (admittedly my man-crush as well), and I like the other actors in it (except Amy Schumer, but I’m willing to give her the benefit of the doubt in this film).

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

I’m betting on this being A24’s biggest push and not Macbeth. This kind of reminds me of Amazon with One Night In Miami vs Sound of Metal where Miami was initally their big push but Metal slowly picked up steam and got the BP nom over it. This is top 10 picture for me and seems like a lock for a screenplay nomination. Jenkins’s role here is bigger and baiter than his role in Nightmare Alley so I would bet that he gets the nom for this. Knowing how strong Jayne Houdyshell is in the stage version, she will be in the winning conversation here. Yes, I think she can beat Ann Dowd in Mass because this film looks to be a stronger contender across the board. Look out for this folks.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Owl-Always-watching
    Topics:

Let’s hope they changed they ending of play. It’s open ended for interpretation which left you confused. If anyone has Oscar worthy role is Richard Jenkins in play. Jayne character is fine but not wow. June Squibb character of grandma is basically background. She has no lines besides sounds. Character is long gone, just barely alive.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Too bad Reed Birney couldn’t reprise his Tony-winning role in the film adaptation like Jayne Houdyshell did.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Calvin
    Topics:

Definitely a film to watch out for, though largely in the screenplay and acting categories. Will be interesting to see if Karam can pull off a Florian Zeller with his directorial debut and make it stand out as the play adaptation of awards season.

Having read the script, if it delivers it seems like Jenkins is a surefire contender (helps that he’ll also have a substantial role in Nightmare Alley). And possibly Houdyshell.

Still celebrating Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

FYC Emmys: The Underground Railroad

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

The movie is set to premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival.
    https://twitter.com/TIFF_NET/status/1420385954163040264

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

No Telluride, but i think this movie could have great potential for being the Audience winner

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.