Home Forums Movies The Invisible Man (2020)

The Invisible Man (2020)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
vinny
adamunc
Heptapod
  • Profile picture
    andrew giordano
    Topics:

So I just saw the Invisible Man, and I gotta say I loved it. When I saw the trailers, I was not impressed but after seeing the high reviews, my interest was gained. I wasn’t expecting it to be as expertly crafted as it was.

I honestly think it could be remembered when awards season comes around. I know it’s early to say, but it was just that good. I think it has a slight chance for these:

Lead Actress: Elizabeth Moss gives an outstanding performance, so I could see her possibly getting recognized for lead actress. However, we are seeing the trend of amazing female performances getting snubbed just because they are in the horror genre—Pugh for Midsommar, Nyongo for Us, and Collette for Hereditary, so I guess not. However, I expect her to at least be in the conversation during awards season.

Visual Effects: The visual effects were so well done. Reminded me of Ex Machina’s VFX, which were not flashy but very low key. That ended up winning, so I could see this film getting a nomination.

Adapted Screenplay: The script had some weak dialogue moments but other than that, it was ultimately the script that made this film so thrilling and suspenseful. During the “Dinner Scene” (you’ll know what i’m talking about if you saw it), I was genuinely terrified for Moss’ character. I was legitimately threatened by the Invisible Man, and I truly felt her character had no escape. The way this movie surprises you and thrills you was all writing. To top it off, it had a lot of smart commentary on domestic abuse, which is important.

Those are the main 3 I could possibly see it getting. The score was pretty good as well, will probably make the shortlist at least. The design of Adrian’s house was amazing, so maybe a production design nod. We’ll see later down the road. Anyway what are your thoughts? Seriously, this movie may seem stupid but it’s great. If you haven’t seen it, go see it!

Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

I saw this as well…..it reminded me a lot of “Hollow Man” but I loved Moss in this so I would hope she is in the conversation awards wise

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    adamunc
    Topics:

I don’t think we are looking at any major awards consideration at all, but I did enjoy this quite a bit. It was a perfect role for Moss and the plot offered plenty of creative turns and unpredictability. It was very well done and looked like it cost much more than its $7 million production budget.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Loved this movie, but I don’t see its awards chances really going anywhere. Maybe a SAG nod for Moss? They seem to like horror/thrillers more than everyone else (A Quiet Place, Us, Girl on the Train, etc.), and while they were almost the only people to never give Moss a win for THT, they’ve also never failed to nominate her.

However, the early release date means that it’ll probably be forgotten by the end of the year, and I don’t see the movie or Moss having the long legs that Us and Lupita ended up having.

If Moss can campaign hard, though, I wouldn’t be shocked if she got one of those random surprise SAG nods.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Dumbledore1601
    Topics:

Loved this movie, but I don’t see its awards chances really going anywhere. Maybe a SAG nod for Moss? They seem to like horror/thrillers more than everyone else (A Quiet Place, Us, Girl on the Train, etc.), and while they were almost the only people to never give Moss a win for THT, they’ve also never failed to nominate her. However, the early release date means that it’ll probably be forgotten by the end of the year, and I don’t see the movie or Moss having the long legs that Us and Lupita ended up having. If Moss can campaign hard, though, I wouldn’t be shocked if she got one of those random surprise SAG nods.

I agree, Moss could get a SAG nod considering Blunt’s win and Nyong’o’s nomination in the last two years. She would definitely deserve it, her performance was so good.

FYC:

Drama - Big Little Lies, Ozark, The Handmaid's Tale, Euphoria, Killing Eve

Comedy - The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Dead to Me, The Good Place, Modern Family

Reese Witherspoon (Lead Actress Drama Series & Limited Series)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JDM
    Topics:

Wasnt expecting much from watching the trailers but I was truly impressed! Moss was great and I would honestly give it an 8/10

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

THE INVISIBLE MAN (2020, Whannell)
    A refreshing retelling of a classic, masterfully blending the horror, drama and superhero genres into a smart and scary showcase for Elisabeth Moss.

Moss is at her (cinematic) best as a survivor of abuse trying to recover from the ordeal she’s been put through and the long lasting impact it can have. The film never shies away from the evil of abusers, nor does it tread the shaky ground some films have when tackling this issue.

The first hour is some of the most tense, gripping and genuinely frightening cinema I’ve seen in the last decade. Whannell & Moss let the audience get into the mind of a survivor of domestic abuse and the terrors it brings. Given that it’s grounded in such reality, the scares are doubly earned and impactful.

Whannell’s direction and script handle the heavier side of things so smartly, that even when the film delves into a more fantastical, supehero-esque world, it feels just as real and everyday as checking the postbox for mail.

4.5 STARS

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Monsoon
    Topics:

Elizabeth Moss is great and everything.

But can we discuss how HOT Aldis Hodge is in this movie!?

He was SO good in “Clemency”.

“you look like your picture, thank god.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    James Breheney
    Topics:

Decent film but has one too many silly moments for me to consider it a great film. Would be forgotten awards-wise any other year for sure but this is an unprecedented year so who knows.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.