Home Forums Movies The Irishman(2019)

The Irishman(2019)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
12 months ago
replies
views
users
babypook
Hammad Asif
Mickmack
  • Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

So we’re on JackO’s ass now? lol.

Thanks for the review. I don’t expect anything less from Marty. The cast are no slouches either.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Hammad Asif
    Topics:

This will go down as an absolute cinematic classic.

People slate Netflix for many reasons, but giving Martin Scorsese (one of, if not THE, greatest living director), the opportunity to do this kind of film, on this scale, in 2019 is a genius move by them.

The Irishman could well lead the Oscar nominations tally. I can’t decide if I’d give Pacino or Pesci the edge in the Supporting Actor race.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a long film. Very long. But that final hour or so is an absolute firecracker.

I’d give it 4 stars from a first viewing but already know that I’ll bump it to 5 on a second viewing when I can fully digest it and take it all in more.

De Niro is the best he’s been for decades (obviously). Scorsese’s best for years, too. Great score, visual effects, production design and screenplay as well.

The film itself isn’t too kind on any of the female characters. The top billed actress genuinely says two words that I noticed. And that was just the word ‘Why?’ repeated.

Nevertheless, a great film that will be rewatched for years to come. I can see Scorsese being Best Director even if it doesn’t pick up Best Picture.

Do you think De Niro is locked for a nomination can Al Pacino win his 2nd?

Kubrick-Tarkovsky-Scorsese-Bergman-Bresson-Kurosawa

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Do you think De Niro is locked for a nomination can Al Pacino win his 2nd?

I currently have Pacino winning, but I’m skeptical of De Niro being nominated again after the sexual assaukt allegations he had thrown at him. Those coukd just completely blow over, but the academy has been reluctant to nominate anyone associated with MeToo (remember Franco’s snub?), so I think these allegations could really hurt him if they grow.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

So, am I the only one not cheerleading Irishman?
    I’ll watch but really Marty. I’d rather have seen you tackle another Stones concert.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Baby Clyde
    Topics:

You could easily chop an hour out of the middle of this self indulgent chore and it would still be way too long. It’s almost a parody. Literally every single aspect of this film we’ve seen before from the EXACT same people. Are they not bored? I certainly was.

In a film that’s 3h 30 mins long there are maybe 5 female speaking roles. They probably take up about 3 minutes of screen time. The most prominent one, Oscar winning Anna Paquin, has precisely 1 line of dialogue.

This is the year that Geena Davis is being rewarded an Honorary Oscar for her work promoting gender equality in Hollywood. Seems like she has a lot more work still to do.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

You could easily chop an hour out of the middle of this self indulgent chore and it would still be way too long. It’s almost a parody. Literally every single aspect of this film we’ve seen before from the EXACT same people. Are they not bored? I certainly was.

In a film that’s 3h 30 mins long there are maybe 5 female speaking roles. They probably take up about 3 minutes of screen time. The most prominent one, Oscar winning Anna Paquin, has precisely 1 line of dialogue.

This is the year that Geena Davis is being rewarded an Honorary Oscar for her work promoting gender equality in Hollywood. Seems like she has a lot more work still to do.

Baby Clyde, were you at least intrigued by their take on Hoffa’s disappearance?
    I wish I could just read the screenplay. It wouldn’t take me 3 and one half hours.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

*Pretends to be shocked*

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Seven.
    • This reply was modified 1 year ago by Seven.

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supp Actress - Glenn Close
    Best Supp Actor - Yahya Abdul-Mateen II

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kellis
    Topics:

Lol we love seeing talented actresses being wasted. Looks like I’ll be taking her out of my SAG predictions.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

Also got banned because...reasons? So, I guess ciao.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

I currently have Pacino winning, but I’m skeptical of De Niro being nominated again after the sexual assaukt allegations he had thrown at him. Those coukd just completely blow over, but the academy has been reluctant to nominate anyone associated with MeToo (remember Franco’s snub?), so I think these allegations could really hurt him if they grow.

I did the math and think that Franco would’ve missed out anyway. I’d say we have yet to see anyone affected by MeToo in terms of getting a nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Baby Clyde
    Topics:

Baby Clyde, were you at least intrigued by their take on Hoffa’s disappearance?
    I wish I could just read the screenplay. It wouldn’t take me 3 and one half hours.

Not really. It’s so unnecessarily long that by the time you get to the proper meaty part of the story I’d kind of lost interest. It’s also concerned with such thoroughly reprehensible people it’s hard to care about what happens to any of them or the aftermath.

There’s a shot near the beginning (I mean it’s probably 90 minutes in but that’s still near the start) that suggests that the Anna Paquin character is going to become important. It’s signalled that this is the way the plot is heading, but it never comes. Instead we get more smoky nightclubs, more subpoenas being served, more people being shot in the face, more Pacino overacting. It’s so tiresome.

The films is obviously well made and directed. There’s lots to admire. It’s not even boring exactly even if the length is ludicrous. It’s just so unnecessary and unadventurous. It’s Scorsese so people will rave over it but this is just a legendary director, self indulgently, treading water.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Lol.
    Thanks Baby Clyde.

I’d still like to know where Hoffa is though. T the bottom of which ocean?

I’m a big fan of his work, and I’m surprised by my disinterest.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Reviews

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2483160/the-irishman-reviews-are-up-see-what-critics-are-saying

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

I think this is the first “meh” review (other than Baby Clyde) Iv e seen.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/the-irishman-is-scorseses-worst-movie-since-new-york-new-york.html/

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Matthew anzalone
    Topics:

I think scorsese is gonna win director at the globes. Im not sure about the oscars yet.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

I think this is the first “meh” review (other than Baby Clyde) Iv e seen. https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/the-irishman-is-scorseses-worst-movie-since-new-york-new-york.html/

Some critics purposely write the one single bad review to get noticed. Remember that one guy that gave Lady Bird a bad review, knocking it from 100% on RT…yeah… I mean come on. This critic gave a positive rating to the Jay and Silent Bob Reboot but not The Irishman? I also did some research and he’s loved every single one of the Marvel films so this could be something personal…

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Rachel.
    • This reply was modified 1 year ago by Rachel.
    ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.