( +5 hidden )
October 5, 2021 at 4:57 pm #1204504378
1. Courtney Howard: Ridley Scott’s #TheLastDuel is cogent, compelling & galvanizing in its sentiments. Finely detailed costumes. Jodie Comer, Matt Damon & Adam Driver are good, but Ben Affleck stands out, deliciously hamming it up as an arrogant, obnoxious , ostentatious Prince. source: https://twitter.com/Lulamaybelle/status/1445500779138220052
2. Clayton Davis: Ridley Scott’s #TheLastDuel is his #MeToo movie wrapped in a genre he’s found success throughout his career. The narrative unfolding is very intriguing in a ‘Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby’-style approach. Jodie Comer devours it. Interestingly, Ben Affleck steals middle portion. source: https://twitter.com/ByClaytonDavis/status/1445492284108132352
3. Awards Daily: The Last Duel is excellent. One of the best films of the year and a formidable addition to Ridley Scott’s career. Bravo and Brava to all involved. Wow. source: https://twitter.com/AwardsDaily/status/1445494731375448073
4. Steven Prusakowski: Riveting and often brutal, #TheLastDuel is everything you it to be. Ridley Scott put his touch on the tale. Told in 3 gripping chapters/perspectives revealed slowly. The duel’s one of the most intense ever filmed. Cinematography/editing A+. Comer impresses again. source: https://twitter.com/FilmSnork/status/1445507363687911433
5. Martyn Conterio: The Last Duel is tops. It’s got that Ridley Scott historical epic look but it’s such an ugly story about bitter male rivalry and a woman caught in the middle. Matt Damon is great as a meathead, Adam Driver plays a total bastard, Ben Affleck is funny, and Jodie Comer is superb. It’s top tier Scott. The script by Affleck, Damon and Nicole Holofcener is strong. source: https://twitter.com/martynconterio/status/1445476178173771777October 5, 2021 at 6:32 pm #1204504460
Time to slot my queen again! We all know that Comer will outact Gaga, but it’s sad that Gaga might be ahead of her since she’s a far bigger name. Btw, my queen is the one that will win BAFTA for Help next year.
"The Lost Daughter" in every eligible category - Film
"Succession" Season 3 in every eligible category - TV
"Heaux Tales" by Jasmine Sullivan in every eligible category - MusicOctober 6, 2021 at 1:21 am #1204504825
Scott Mendelson (Forbes): I liked #TheLastDuel quite a bit, even if the last third flirts with being a bit “book report”-y. That said, one key takeaway is that I think Matt Damon is at least a little more self-aware about his status as a “wealthy white guy thriving in Hollywood” than he lets on.
This was his reply to someone who asked about Comer’s performance: She’s excellent. The whole movie, if nothing else, is an old-school acting treat.October 6, 2021 at 10:50 am #1204505450
‘The Last Duel is simply the best movie I’ve seen in 2021. Do yourselves a favor and watch this movie, please.’
‘I recommend seeing the movie first, really. The story is available on the Internet in several versions, but seeing through the cast is critical. Jodie Comer, if she’s not nominated it’s going to be absurd.’
https://twitter.com/p_lokerbatch/status/1445785420906713088?s=21October 6, 2021 at 11:09 am #1204505480
what does “available on the Internet in several versions” mean? Did it leak?October 6, 2021 at 11:35 am #1204505539
They mean the book that the film is adapted offOctober 6, 2021 at 11:57 am #1204505572
Ah, OK.October 6, 2021 at 5:23 pm #1204506286
“The Last Duel” takes place in 1300, but if you take out the knights and the duels, history could very well be set in 2021 with violence and silencing against women and structural sexism.
Jodie Comer deserves all the applause (and an Oscar nomination!).October 6, 2021 at 5:23 pm #1204506289
Out of interest, have you ever watched anything with Comer in?
Yeah I tried the killing eve show, not for me. I did see Free Guy, but c’mon she could have done that in her sleep. I’m looking forward to TLD, but I’m just saying it’s way too early to say she will outact Gaga.October 6, 2021 at 5:38 pm #1204506310
Awards Daily review by Sasha Stone:
“At almost two and half hours, The Last Duel seemed like it would be a slog, particularly given the mild reviews out of Venice. What I didn’t expect was to be riveted for every minute, captivated by the performances and the story until the very last frame. Much of this is due to the singular brilliance of Jodie Comer in the leading role. She has a face the camera loves but as an actress she is adept at keeping her emotions just hidden from view. There is an unpredictability about her expressions. That makes anything she’s in a fascinating watch, from Doctor Foster to Killing Eve and now, the Last Duel.”
“The Last Duel shows Sir Ridley’s engine still roars hot. It’s hard to believe he can still be this good of a director in this, his fifth decade of movie-making. His taste for onscreen blood and violence is at the same level as his Best Picture winner, Gladiator. He is such a grandmaster when it comes to directing that he just knows, instinctively, how to present a MOVIE movie. And this is one of those. This is a movie you can safely pay to see and feel as though you are getting more than your money’s worth.”
“But the film belongs to its star, Jodie Comer, who gives one of the best performances of the year, and one that should be remembered come Oscar time, along with the screenplay by Nicole Holofcener, Matt Damon, and Ben Affleck. While it didn’t really light the fire of the critics in Venice, it is exactly the kind of movie that can bring back the Big Oscar Movie — the universal, crowd-pleasing epic.”October 6, 2021 at 8:05 pm #1204506457
Yeah I tried the killing eve show, not for me. I did see Free Guy, but c’mon she could have done that in her sleep. I’m looking forward to TLD, but I’m just saying it’s way too early to say she will outact Gaga.
Why Gaga? Is it because they were both directed by Scott? I’d focus more on Gaga being able to outact Olivia Colman, Frances McDormand and Penelope Cruz.October 6, 2021 at 8:18 pm #1204506466
Time Out interview with Comer about the film and Killing Eve: https://www.timeout.com/film/jodie-comer-my-toes-curl-when-people-ask-me-to-do-villanelleNot now
The topic ‘The Last Duel (Ridley Scott, Jodie Comer, Adam Driver)’ is closed to new replies.